Skyrim- the game sucks?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Targun
Adept

Skyrim- the game sucks?

Post by Targun » 05 Dec 2011 14:13

Since nothing happens on the forum anyway, we might as well talk about other games.

So, I've been playing the one mentioned above for a time now and so far... a huge disappointment. Truth to be told, for me it's just some kind of an improved version of Oblivion, which has been majorly inferior to Morrowind anyway.

I'm around lvl 20 playing the game on the hardest of difficulties availble, which prolongs getting past some fights by a healthy chunk of hours. Suffice to say, I feel like I dedicated quite a lot of time to it and still feel like... nothing happens there at all. Some random dungeons with mobs to kill. Fine it looks nice and is huge, but does it do anything else? So far it's kind of world of warcraft with better graphics but without multiplayer.

The thing that strikes me the most is that the game has so huge potential and at the same time it seems (again as with Oblivion) to be made by two autonomous studios. One with great potential, money, creative people and the other- low budget half amateur one. With their responsibilities shared in the way, where the low budget one takes care for the interaction/quests/characters and the big one for everything else.

Honestly, the game is just boring. Most- especially supporting characters that create the depth and let you sink into the world- are simply dull and 80% of the dialogues seem to have been written by a 10 year old. Not to mentiong the availble lines are often very misleading. (Suprisingly, when you approach the npcs they tend to have very interesting conversations, which sound a lot more convincing (btw. the hired actors are just fenomenal)). Games like Baldur's Gate or Fallout- over 15 years old, had much better developped storyline and world in terms of being convincing and interesting. All that can be said about Skyrim's world is that it's huge and looks pretty.

I sincerely don't get it. You spend millions of dollars on the game with a poor storyline, characters flat as a plank and to make matters worse you release it in a half beta shape, swelling with annoying bugs, or things like brawls, where all npcs crowd between you and your opponent, making it a herculean task not only to move between them, but also avoiding hitting one accidentally with your fist, for which you're going to be frown to jail. The brain demaging soundtrack bug where present in every tavern bard goes crazy and starts repeating two lines over and over, music turning on and off and mixing with bards songs to an utter discontempt of even the most patient and forgiving human being. If you get the M rating anyway, why can't you make the dialogues a little bit more intriguing and sophisticated, as you don't have to worry no more, whether a six year old can follow the plot.

All in all, for me it's just yet another game for the past several years, that so easily could have been great and proves to be at best a time killer. Often annoying and disappointing. And we're still with no good crpg with half-exceptions represented by Mass Effect and The Witcher for like what 8 years since KOTOR 1?

And what about yout? Am I the only one on this side of the barricade?

Makfly
Champion

Re: Skyrim- the game sucks?

Post by Makfly » 05 Dec 2011 17:35

I read your post and this quote was the first thing that came to my mind:
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill"

But yea, you're not the only one thinking that Skyrim sucks, just a tiny minority.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 07 Dec 2011 19:23

A very beautiful song. The geek-factor buries the needle, but so well done I didn't care.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 08 Dec 2011 02:36

Her voice is so perfect..
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 11 Dec 2011 23:10

You must play it for console and never played it for the computer if you think it sucks. So much potential for player mods I'm actually more excited for those then I was for the actual game.

Targun
Adept

Post by Targun » 12 Dec 2011 14:27

Actually I play on my PC. Perhaps there is some potential in the mods. However, I'd like to get the game, I can actually play, not spend dozens of hours browsing through the mods, figuring out how to install them etc.

Moreover the game is very buggy and selling a product with so many flaws, which by no means can be called a final version and then releasing patches is just wrong. When I get a single player crpg I'm interested in the first place in the storyline and dialogues/quests, then gameplay and the last thing I care about are some monsters, or the number of weapons.armours availble.

Skyrim's journal is a mess, there are like 40 positions in it, and each covered with one line description. Wow, a whole one line. Half of the time I have absolutely no idea where was the guy by the name 'xxx' that gave me the quest 3 days ago. The dialogue lines are terribad as I mentioned earlier and give you hardly any idea, whether through asking where is some place or who is the 'XYZ' god, you just enlisted as a devoted follower or not. Link to the song is just yet another example of how something semi-decent and often annoying can be turned into something great. That's what my primary post was about more or less. It takes skill to make a game with so much potential into a time-killer.

Besides almost all mods are graphical improvements, that in my ranking places them slightly above- 'how many weapons there are in the game' and that sort of things. Except for a few that make the interface a little more hanyd (which helps with the annoyance a bit, but also shows how poor was the interface in the first place).

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 12 Dec 2011 16:43

Targun wrote:Actually I play on my PC. Perhaps there is some potential in the mods. However, I'd like to get the game, I can actually play, not spend dozens of hours browsing through the mods, figuring out how to install them etc.

Moreover the game is very buggy and selling a product with so many flaws, which by no means can be called a final version and then releasing patches is just wrong.
It works fine for me. I've had 1 CTD in about 37 hours of play.
Also almost EVERY damn game these days gets patches - What's wrong with that? Through Steam it keeping up-to-date is a non-issue.

Targun wrote:Skyrim's journal is a mess, there are like 40 positions in it, and each covered with one line description. Wow, a whole one line. Half of the time I have absolutely no idea where was the guy by the name 'xxx' that gave me the quest 3 days ago.
Then click to track the quest and look at your map. It's easy.
Targun wrote:The dialogue lines are terribad as I mentioned earlier and give you hardly any idea, whether through asking where is some place or who is the 'XYZ' god, you just enlisted as a devoted follower or not.
I don't get what you mean here, but most of the dialgue is fine really*. I thought it actually managed to take it's own world pretty serious and it seems to have an exceptional depth, both through dialogue and texts.
Targun wrote:Besides almost all mods are graphical improvements, that in my ranking places them slightly above- 'how many weapons there are in the game' and that sort of things. Except for a few that make the interface a little more hanyd (which helps with the annoyance a bit, but also shows how poor was the interface in the first place).
Many mods are graphical "tweaks", certainly not all are improvements as such, but rather tweaks to make it look a little different, if that's to your taste.
Some are of course higher res. textures, which always helps to improve the looks, but most of the ones I've looked at so far, haven't made _that_ much of a difference really. I can improve the mod to enchance "fires" though.
But it is true that mods improving the interface, especially inventory, is quite handy. The standard interface is dumbed down for consoles, unfortunately.

*exception to this certainly is the whole marriage option. That seemed like a complete afterthought.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 12 Dec 2011 21:04

Oh and let me just recommend, highly, the mod that lets Skyrim use 4GB of memory.
If you have enough RAM to spare, be sure to use this mod, it's Steam compatible and everything.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 12 Dec 2011 23:25

<3 Skyrim <3
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/