How many of you hate doings quests ?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Would you restart in Genesis if you had to do all your quests?

YES
40%
NO
60%

Total votes: 43

Makfly
Champion

Re: How many of you hate doings quests ?

Post by Makfly » 23 Jan 2012 08:18

Creed wrote:...It would also need to change more towards the MMO style, in the way that you shouldn't really lose any significant xp when killed in pvp, but letting it be enough with losing the equipment.

That way you would encourage pvp, as all MMO's do it, with great effect. And you would make people more interested in enforcing their different roleplays, killing people who offended them, or declaring war here or there.

It might be that I am the only one that worries for the like of my character, but it would take things like those mentioned above, or a setup where I could totally avoid pvp, by declaring myself retired from physical duties as a knight (or whatever), to make me wanting to return...
I can certainly relate to what you said, but although you may have sound ideas, they will never get much support from the few players left, as most are entrenched hardliners, heavily invested in the status-quo.

I know I've said it before, but I really don't think the game will ever change to have a viable future, if decisions are based off of what the current, small player-base wants.

In relations to your earlier post, I admit that I don't play the game either anymore, but I still check the forum. Funny how the "hanging around" period is so much longer than the "playing the game" period is. Perhaps start the promotional campaign right here on this very forum? :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 23 Jan 2012 17:00

Makfly wrote: I know I've said it before, but I really don't think the game will ever change to have a viable future, if decisions are based off of what the current, small player-base wants.
I am not sure I follow. What is it that the current playerbase wants the stops the game from growing?

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 23 Jan 2012 20:06

Cherek wrote:
Makfly wrote: I know I've said it before, but I really don't think the game will ever change to have a viable future, if decisions are based off of what the current, small player-base wants.
I am not sure I follow. What is it that the current playerbase wants the stops the game from growing?
Change.

For a more in-depth answer, I'll refer to my (many) forum posts on this subject.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Creed

Post by Creed » 24 Jan 2012 00:48

Well, Cherek.

You are correct that there was once that kind of endgame.
But it changed when the game "ended", with the introduction of the new stats and mortal levels.
People wanted to become bigger and badder, and stopped playing war and started playing growth.
I truly believe that if that change had never come like that, specially with the new titles, then the game wouldn't look as empty as it does now. I think a lot of people lost their RP sparring partners, when these went out to grind more, to be able to back up their threats and what not, with physical strength/size.

All of a sudden it wasn't enough, anymore, to threathen others if you were only a champion. It didn't give the same feeling, as there were people out there whom everyone knew was bigger.
Sure, you also knew before that some had higher str, con, or int than others, but those were basically also the only stats measurable in game. And you wouldn't know, if that person had kept it as a secret.
There was much more mystery around, and with the changed titles that completely vanished.

Everyone says that its too late to change it back, but I don't really believe so.
If Genesis wants to be alive, i believe there might need to come some sacrifices along the way, to change into what a broader audience wants.

Try ask some of the polish people how those big polish muds work, if they have pvp/size/stats like Genesis, or if they have changed to be more in the MMO way.
If a new player knows that there is a certain size that is max, and it can be achieved in 6 months, then there is more reason in staying around, than knowing that you will basically never be able to catch up to the biggest ones, never have any chance of becoming as good as them. And if that person plans on pvp, then that might really just take the interest away.
I would think so, if it was me, at least.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 24 Jan 2012 01:02

only because you GUESSED back in the days, that Bebop is unbeatable by your puny self (I guessed that for sure) or Krewl or Mozart and his CON are unreachable or Kuti is biggie or or or ... doesn't mean that such grown chars existed
it also doesn't mean that title- and stats-changes made people grind more - for me it was otherwise: the lack of real competition to exp grounds made it MUCH easier to grind fantas even on violent brute

Bertram
Beginner

Post by Bertram » 24 Mar 2012 01:01

I love the quests of genesis but I voted NO because doing them all again would be just too much time to loose. Its similar to reading the same books again or watching the same films, only some of them are interesting enough to be discovered again. I did 70% of all quests and I think the rest is beyond my patience, I don't follow the logic of some ideas and syntaxes. I don't play the game anyway, but it's nice to read the forums sometimes. Seems that some people still want to see some thrilling revolutionary changes, but the others who are in control of the game do not seem to be ready for a change. At least not for any of those few hundred suggestions which have been already written.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 27 Apr 2012 11:08

Laurel wrote:only because you GUESSED back in the days, that Bebop is unbeatable by your puny self (I guessed that for sure) or Krewl or Mozart and his CON are unreachable or Kuti is biggie or or or ... doesn't mean that such grown chars existed
it also doesn't mean that title- and stats-changes made people grind more - for me it was otherwise: the lack of real competition to exp grounds made it MUCH easier to grind fantas even on violent brute
I know I speak for everyone when I say that I'm saddened deeply that this is keeping you from playing... I hope we can find some way to inspire some interest for you to return whole heartedly. *sighs wistfully*
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 27 Apr 2012 12:22

Creed wrote: Try ask some of the polish people how those big polish muds work, if they have pvp/size/stats like Genesis, or if they have changed to be more in the MMO way.
If a new player knows that there is a certain size that is max, and it can be achieved in 6 months, then there is more reason in staying around, than knowing that you will basically never be able to catch up to the biggest ones, never have any chance of becoming as good as them. And if that person plans on pvp, then that might really just take the interest away.
They have removed mortal levels completely. Back in the day you only saw people level when you exa'd them ("He looks like a person that's seen a lot", "He looks extremely experienced" etc.). I think that they removed it now too. Also, the skills levels are much more obscure there.
Basically, you left a big unknown. And people were fighting all the time, there were wars between racial guilds as back then there were just two OCC guilds around and when they showed up in the racial fights they were destroying pretty hardcore.

You should ask someone who's been playing Arkadia more though. I stopped when I discovered Genesis in the 90's and it's like a completely different game right now.

Edit: Just reading through their FAQ and Wiki, some interesting stuff there:
Game clients can be used but all forms of automation are forbidden. Any triggers (even ship boarding), multibinds or anything that is being sent to the MUD without player's active involvement.
And yeah, it seems they removed the way to see someone's mortal level alltogether (even your own).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/