Align restrictions

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
petros
Site Admin

Re: Align restrictions

Post by petros » 14 Mar 2010 19:41

It's easy to give the standard reasons why this is the case:
1. Wizards are corrupt
2. Wizards only care about their friends
3. Wizards hate evil players

The reality is that its a mix of other factors. The way that content is created has been convoluted and changed much over the years of existence in Genesis. First, Genesis is organized into domains, which essentially function as independent project teams in Genesis. These project teams haven't needed to work together with other teams to coordinate any sort of "global" picture. Each team's main focus is to create the world that best fits the theme that the domain adheres to. My personal suspicion about why there's more "goodie" eq than evil is that traditionally fantasy literature that Genesis is usually written from the side of "goodies". It's simply much easier to create themed content for goodies than it is for evils. What that means is that if you want something changed, most likely the person you need to convince is simply the domain liege. In the case of the azure longsword, talk to Navarre, and he will either agree with you or not whether it should be changed based on the theme.

That being said, Genesis is moving towards a model of a global picture. Because of the much lower player and wizard base, it's impractical to stick to hard lines of domain separation like we have in the past. As a part of global balance, I'm happy to look more at this and see whether there are things that can be done. However, to be honest, I have quite a bit on my plate already so I won't have time to do this kind of research. If the player base wants to contribute to a solution, I would suggest creating a proposal of all the items that you want to change and sending it to the AoB team in the game. I can use that to work with others to see what makes sense or not.

Now, finally to address this idea that goodie-wiz relation is better than evil-wiz relation. I heard a lot of this sort of B.S. when I was a mortal too, but always the other way around. That changes only help evil players because all the active and powerful wizards are former evil players in the MM or DA. Just look at Gorboth, Navarre, Stern! The reality is that this is a bunch of hogwash. Maybe wizards in the past have done this, but the reality as I see it from the last couple of years is that the people who are real contributors in the wiz world do not act like that. People who only care about advancing the cause of a specific group like that don't last very long up here, because they'll find that they don't get much respect.

If you feel that your relation with wizards is not as good as someone else's - do this. Rather than blaming the wizards, perhaps you should look at what you may be doing differently than others. Bashing a wizard on the forums is not likely to get them to listen to any sort of reasonable suggestion you have. If you say someone successfully changed the greaves to be non-alignment restricted, ask the wizard who changed it how you can convince them likewise for your item. Talk to the person who suggested it and ask them how they were able to convince the wizard that it was the right thing to do. You may be surprised to find that not everyone simply operates on "this is my friend so I'm gonna do it" policy. Suggesting solutions to the problem and providing reasons why they need to be changed tend to work much better. Just look at the content of this thread. How much of it is complaining and how much of it is proposing solutions?

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 14 Mar 2010 20:15

I didnt start this topic to whine or trying to undermine your work. I just stated facts and was curious why this was the case.
Nowadays we have a week uptime which makes non dulling items worth alot more then previously. Thats why I think they should be available for everyone.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 14 Mar 2010 20:35

petros wrote:It's easy to give the standard reasons why this is the case:
1. Wizards are corrupt
2. Wizards only care about their friends
3. Wizards hate evil players
:D Nicely done.. :lol:
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 14 Mar 2010 20:47

While fighting vampires I always wondered why there weren't blackened mithril clubs or axes, or why the shadow axe wasn't fixed and restored. Akugla has everything, except clubs. Also, originally Grothaur only wielded a corrupted mithril axe, but was later changed into flail, halberd and sword, so everyone started killing him. There is also the lack of good axes, in old times gladiators would wield a BSA and a DWA, and nowadays they must use the same (since the crystal axe is virtually impossible to find), while in old times angmarins wielded a HSC and now can wield a BSC.

Also, dwarves were able to wear the deep-blue armour, but now it doesn't fit us anymore. And the blackened bracers and greaves were only for small races, but now everyone can wear them. Then ogres are created and they don't get dexterity penalty when they are supposed to be even slower than dwarves. I could continue with my rumblings for a good while ^_^

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 14 Mar 2010 21:03

I like the way the crystal axe works changing depending on align. Maybe this can be used on more items?
Holy blade is a good example, Nice weapon if you're good aligned but useless if you're damned. Would be neat if it changed name depending on align maybe even change magic properties depending on align?

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 14 Mar 2010 21:11

The thing with the holy blade is that it is an artifact from Mishakal, goddess of healing. Maybe adding another weapon from Chemosh or Sargonnas? It wouldn't make sense if someone evil could wield it, since it is like a holy artifact.

Maybe we could enchant (for a price in coins, gems and items) weapons so that their durability is increased (at the price of losing its saving quality if any?). I mean, if you get a saving ivory sabre, but could trade the saving ability for having it dull at a much slower pace? Or if you could pay to "disenchant" a magical item temporarily so that a smith could try to mend it if broken before the "enchantment" returns?

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 14 Mar 2010 21:38

I can buy that but shouldnt there be a counterpart then?

I think abilites in Craft guilds should be increased. Smiths being able to repair broken items (Not as powerful as before but close?) and as mentioned in another thread Gardeners being able to make potions etc. Like the enchant idea aswell.
Hijack my own topic..damnit

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 14 Mar 2010 22:38

Chanele wrote:I can buy that but shouldnt there be a counterpart then?
No, because there are things evil aligned players have access to that good aligned don't.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 14 Mar 2010 22:48

Ok, so you think that restriction on aligns are equally balanced today?
From what I have experienced its nowhere close balanced. Prove me wrong and I drop this topic.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 14 Mar 2010 23:13

Do you really think there should be a good aligned item, spell, or guild for every evil aligned item, spell, or guild?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/