Okay so here is the issue..

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amberlee
Myth

Okay so here is the issue..

Post by Amberlee » 07 Aug 2012 15:31

All people seem to do is talk around here.
Talk talk talk.. Gorboth talks about wanting to change things, Laurel talks about wanting things to change.
Kas comes up with great suggestion(Even by Gorboth's own admission), and then there is more talk around it.

So here is my question.
When are people going to actually start DOING something?
Sure i know things arent done overnight, but it would sure be splendid if things were actually started.
The "by christmas" standard isnt cutting it anymore.
Stop pointing fingers, quit the goddamn "We are a voulenteer workforce so we do what we want" excuse.. its old, its lame and it doesnt lead anywhere but to stagnation.. If YOU dont do anything, then nothing will get done!! Now get to it and try to save this game we have all loved, hated but mostly played for the soon last two decades.
I would do it myself if i actually had something even remotely resembling coding skills.

Now to the players in the community.
Yeah im not letting you sods off the hook either!
You all are as much to blame for people leaving and not returning as the wizards.
Petty vindictiveness is a common trait amongst players, and has been for as long as i have played the game atleast.
The "Oh no this one is a second of that one that said a bad word to me 10 years ago" excuse is DESPICABLE!
Get your act together and realize we are all a part of this game.. Archaic notions of either Good or Bad doesnt belong in the game anymore.
The sooner you get that through your thick skulls, the sooner you will start giving to the game instead of draining it.

Now.. Many of you will look at this and laugh(What the hell has gotten into Amberlee now.. What a damn troll)
I will tell you this.. You FAIL to see the message.
I've tried being subtle and hinting to what you can do and i've tried saying it straight.
Now im yelling it at you.. So for once, try to listen.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Laurel

Re: Okay so here is the issue..

Post by Laurel » 07 Aug 2012 15:56

amberlee wrote:The "Oh no this one is a second of that one that said a bad word to me 10 years ago" excuse is DESPICABLE!
wait, wait!

I recently saw:
zar wrote:Biggest guild hopper:
written here by a player, who NEVER socialized with me (surely not as Zar)
after 5+ years spent in the same guild
that guild has been repeatedly declined by wizards to be worked on (even a simple rack improvement - make it hold more - was repeatedly declined)
Zar changed guilds a few times within last months afaik

so I am more inclined into "s/he was too harsh to my second! I shall bury her/him with all my chars"
been there with quite a few players in Genesis already - situations when totally new and unknown to me characters act QUITE out of the line just to give my character a slap

what seconds are you talking about anyway? we know noone has them, cause it would be sooooo boring to re-quest and re-grind up ... or not? ;)
it sure would be for me, so as I wrote already - I prefer to e-bay them with full quest exp ;p

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Aug 2012 16:54

amberlee wrote: I would do it myself if i actually had something even remotely resembling coding skills.
First you say people just come up with excuses, then you come up with one yourself. :) I had not coded anything in my life when I became a wizard, but it really didnt take much time at all to figure out enough to be able to do stuff.

Its not that hard really. Why dont you try it? Then I'll give your post a little more credit. I obviously agree with you, but thats the whole thing isnt it? Actually doing it. Its easy to come up with ideas, I've had tons myself that I think rocks and would make this game great. I bet everyone who comes up with their great idea think so. But from that idea to actually doing it is a big step...

I'd love to do some of my ideas, but I only ever got around to actually doing some very small ones. But I am proud I did _something_. Everyone who spent spare time coding for this game should be I think.

So give it a shot Amberlee. Then you can say you at least tried.

And if you dont want to learn to code, there are a number of things you can do. I wrote a list on promotional work that people can do for free for instance. Here it is: http://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewto ... f=5&t=1872

Pick one and make it happen?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 07 Aug 2012 18:33

Oh i do my part, so dont worry about that.
As for my coding skills, I did try to learn and so discovered im really bad at it.
And i mean horribly bad. Close to apocalyptic.

Regardless, you completely missed the point Cherek.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 07 Aug 2012 19:10

amberlee wrote:Oh i do my part, so dont worry about that.
I can attest to that ... tho sometimes I would not really agree with the choice of action :roll:

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 07 Aug 2012 19:16

Can you elaborate on what it is that you do?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 07 Aug 2012 21:38

I have a question to the wizards. What can someone like me expect to do if (s)he becomes a wizard now? I have no experience with coding and I know nothing about it but I have some knowledge about genesis.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 08 Aug 2012 00:06

Laurel wrote:
I can attest to that ... tho sometimes I would not really agree with the choice of action :roll:

Thats just cause you dont get special treatment :lol:

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 08 Aug 2012 02:47

arcon wrote:I have a question to the wizards. What can someone like me expect to do if (s)he becomes a wizard now? I have no experience with coding and I know nothing about it but I have some knowledge about genesis.
Great post ^^

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 08 Aug 2012 03:42

arcon wrote:I have a question to the wizards. What can someone like me expect to do if (s)he becomes a wizard now? I have no experience with coding and I know nothing about it but I have some knowledge about genesis.
Yes, this is a good question. The answer is not so great, unfortunately. There was a time in Genesis when becoming a new wizard meant joining a bustling collective of creative and hard working people who were divided into groups based on interest (domains.) In those days, the new wizard would have the opportunity to be guided step-by-step through the expectations their Liege (boss) would have of them, the rules, and then how to code if they did not already know how. There was a great deal of oversight, a lot of time for mentoring and discussing questions, and a huge community of support.

To be very honest, almost all of this has evaporated. The wizard community now consists of a handful of Admin who are only semi-active, and very few non-admin wizards, none of whom have any active coding projects of which I am aware. One year ago, things were better than they are now, but I think that was largely due to my own efforts to keep various projects going. In the last 8 months, I've had to juggle a lot of life into the mix, and my own ability to kick the can down the road has flagged tremendously. During this last year, I've tried to wiz about 5-8 wizards. Of these, all but one have completely flopped. I do not blame them for this, but the reality of what they were walking into is basically this.

You wiz. You are given a lot of documents to read that outline the expectations you should understand as a wizard. You are given a lot of documents to read about how to code. Examples are made available to show you how various things have been accomplished in the past. And you are then given the opportunity to thrive completely on your own without any further support.

So ... that's what it means to wiz right now. I'm not happy with that scenareo, but we simply do not have staff to provide support, and I cannot do it myself.

I'd say a good analog to what it would mean to become a wizard right now would be to wander into the wilderness where the government has promised you 10 acres of land and to try to make a homestead from scratch ... in Winter. ;-)

So ... there it is. Even with all this being the case, it is still possible to succeed. Lavellan, for example, succeeded with something similar to this scenareo. Of course, he is a fantastic coder already. And though I've painted a very hopeless sounding picture here, every so often I or some other wizard will get a big fit of energy and become impressively active and it will feel a bit more like the old days. Another nice thing is the constant that Mercade represents. He is almost always on, he is always very helpful, and he is completely steady. So he is always able to help people so long as they are polite and willing to wait a bit for his response.

Sound delicious? It can be, but you have to do all the cooking yourself.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/