Genesis as semi open source

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Genesis as semi open source

Post by Cherek » 02 Aug 2012 15:48

There is nothing stopping current players from coding. It'll take you 5 minutes to create a new char and apply to become a wizard. If you state you want to help out fix bugs and stuff I doubt anyone is going to say no.

I think its much simpler if you can find the code you want to fix, fix it, and apply it to the game directly, then to have another current wizard find code for you to fix, then test it for you, send it back, new fix, send it back again etc... with our current number of wizards you really need to have access to fix it yourself I think.

But why would you not want to have a wizard char if you want to help coding?

Bendis
Beginner

Post by Bendis » 11 Aug 2012 03:01

Castaneda,

Actually is not that simple. In the current approach, you'd be assigned to a domain and you don't have access to the code in the other domains.

Ohh.. and be careful how you use the words "open source", you're in big danger to be invited to utter them elsewhere. It is known to happen :D

This being said, if you know of any bugs in need to be fixed in Krynn let me know :)

/Bendis

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 11 Aug 2012 07:23

The biggest issue with open source ... qinfo!!!

If You open sources of genesis, every quest will be known, every guild power mechanics will be known.
Some things must stay hidden.

That's one of fallacies of new wizard especially without active mentor:
You don't have enough coding activity, so You want to play.
Play is much easier to code. But now You have a new power of knowledge.
You can investigate every quest/item/monster/guild in domain You are open to.
You learn it, use it, abuse it.

So opening whole mud code to everyone will change game ENORMOUSLY and I am not sure about consequences.

Creed

Post by Creed » 11 Aug 2012 10:27

As it is now, most quests have solutions floating around.
I don't think it will change a huge lot, in terms of quests.

I talked to more than one in the last month, who didn't want to make a new character, even if they have solutions for around 90% of all the quests.
It still takes quite a while to run them all through, and its not time spent in an interesting way. Its just something that has to be done.

Im more worried about the code from guilds and items. Those are the more abusable ones, in my eyes.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 11 Aug 2012 10:58

On one hand we got those, who don't quest even on their main chars. On the other we got those, who create second after second, which obviously makes them quest a lot.

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 30 Aug 2012 16:20

I have had this idea for a long time...

Not suggested it .. but I guess we can RUN a copy of genesis on another port (3012?) and connect to there???
And people who wanna code for Genesis and still play on Original Genesis can do that.
Of course they wont have access to any other domains and stuff. Just their own domain. Which they can allow other wizards
to read with the commands that are in the wizard soul.

Then the Arches/keeper can setup the standard for the code so you just have to change in the header file for the domain
so it will work when it is moved.

Then AoB can check the code when it is done and if it is QC OK! marked, just move it over and voila Genesis has grown in areas.

*shrug* just my 2cc

Uther's player.
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 01 Sep 2012 16:47

Uther wrote:I have had this idea for a long time...

Not suggested it .. but I guess we can RUN a copy of genesis on another port (3012?) and connect to there???
And people who wanna code for Genesis and still play on Original Genesis can do that.
Of course they wont have access to any other domains and stuff. Just their own domain. Which they can allow other wizards
to read with the commands that are in the wizard soul.

Then the Arches/keeper can setup the standard for the code so you just have to change in the header file for the domain
so it will work when it is moved.

Then AoB can check the code when it is done and if it is QC OK! marked, just move it over and voila Genesis has grown in areas.

*shrug* just my 2cc

Uther's player.
Actually they tried to do it on another mud I played and it had interesting results.
MuD was cloned and started branch of its own.
Players were allowed to play both muds at the same time.
Developments done in one mud WERE NOT transfered to another mud.
Wizards that were in one mud WERE NOT transfered into another mud.

Results:
Original mud population grew by 15-25%.
Clone mud population was about half of original.
Developments in clone were a bit more rough (less polished) but nice ideas were implemented.
Development in original mud adapted some of ideas implemented, test and tuned in clone.

Original and clone are running for 3 years already and both active.
So maybe it is nice idea that can benefit Genesis

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 01 Sep 2012 23:24

What do you up there think ? (keeper, arches and the rest)

Is it possible to set up a clone of Genesis on another port (3012) with
no access to the current domains?? (delete those on the clone Genesis if needed)

Then you can set up the standard you need for the code, files etc.
I know you really want those wizards on original Genesis, but if this is a possible
way to get more activity and more creation for the mud, isn't that a good idea?

*shrug*
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 02 Sep 2012 01:53

Uther wrote:What do you up there think ? (keeper, arches and the rest)

no access to the current domains?? (delete those on the clone Genesis if needed)

Then you can set up the standard you need for the code, files etc.
I know you really want those wizards on original Genesis, but if this is a possible
way to get more activity and more creation for the mud, isn't that a good idea?

*shrug*
One clarification, in above mentioned case all domains were copied to clone.
Only new developments were separate.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 07 Sep 2012 23:48

Uther wrote:What do you up there think ? (keeper, arches and the rest)

We do in fact set up clones of Genesis when testing specific global features. Implementation of imbuements was an example of this. It is not a persistently running clone, but used when things need to be developed and tested on a global basis without interrupting the actual game.

For all the reasons specified on how branching can actually split the code line, we don't intend for this to be a day-to-day environment. If Genesis was operating with a modern day source control system where you can merge in features and changes easily, that might be more of a possibility.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/