A city for Mithas

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

A city for Mithas would be soooo cool!

Oh yes
68%
Hell no
18%
Who cares
14%

Total votes: 28

Draugor
Myth

Re: A city for Mithas

Post by Draugor » 12 Aug 2012 20:51

amberlee wrote:I sort of agree with Arcon.
No more OCC guilds.
Lay guilds though.. Go for it, the more the merrier

Agreed! Gief mah NEUTRAL/alignment of choice, weapon of choice drac guild! :P

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 12 Aug 2012 21:14

I don't know if you think it's a bit boring working on someone elses creation, but I feel the best use of coding hours would be to fix/make useful again/bring up to date many of the good things already found in the Krynn/Ansalon domain.

If you want to work on a guild, perhaps start with the Archers or the Cabal of Hiddukel for instance. Both could really use a hand.
Working on the War System is also a really good idea, as many people can enjoy that content.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 12 Aug 2012 21:18

Draugor wrote:
amberlee wrote:I sort of agree with Arcon.
No more OCC guilds.
Lay guilds though.. Go for it, the more the merrier

Agreed! Gief mah NEUTRAL/alignment of choice, weapon of choice drac guild! :P

I don't understand how draconian guild could be considered neutral. They are created by (black robes and PoTs) corrupting the eggs from the good dragons, if I don't remember wrong. And to be honest I don't see a draconian race would fit in Genesis.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 12 Aug 2012 21:19

Draugor wrote:Agreed! Gief mah (...) weapon of choice drac guild! :P
only as long it's a broken knife ;p

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 12 Aug 2012 21:29

Laurel wrote:
Draugor wrote:Agreed! Gief mah (...) weapon of choice drac guild! :P
only as long it's a broken knife ;p

I said choice! *slaps stupid knight* Imo it would be perfect as draconians can fit in anywhere, and yes they can be fitted into ME since dracs where notorious for desertion :P

And neutral/Alignment of choice since the dracs made from evil eggs turned out goodies :o Whatever wizard that feels like it.. I will write all descs, specials etc, just dont ask me to code anything more advanced than a room :P You wont like the result

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 13 Aug 2012 22:31

bendis wrote: What is the problem in your opinion? We surely do not want to extract the "wrong tooth". :)

I fully agree agree with you about "wasted efforts". This is the main reason I didn't jump into anyhting yet.

What would be an worthwhile effort?
The game is too demanding for new players meaning some old quests are too hard and impossible to do without a helpfile. And difference in size is way to great for any new players to challenge big ones. Guys who can grow to a legend size in a year are NOT new players.

So make big quests easier, let fights depend more on skills/equipment/team set-up (!), do even faster xp after death recovery.

Generally make fights/interaction more interesting when in a team. To do some bigger tasks there should be no other way than make a team.

Also that idea on 'capture the flag' or 'defend the base' minigame with nodeath option is nifty. Maybe some myths/legends would even dare to take a part.
I have a feeling you can not make a myth if you like taking risks...

It is nothing new. Those ideas were posted on the forums before.

So generally what has to change is not some part of the realms but the game's mechanics.

Bendis
Beginner

Post by Bendis » 15 Aug 2012 14:45

Syrk,

I fully agree with you that the game is too demanding on new players. I think this should be our focus for the near future.

How would you make the game easier?

(the intent of the new city is to offer an area where logic and not social engeneerig (i.e. who you know to get the quest list from :)) matters.)

What specific game mechanics would you change to make it easier for newbies and how?

Can you think of some "low hanging fruit" e.g. a combination of metainformation/basic coding that would help people grow/compete/have fun?

Fun is not always about how big you are on the game (competition). For me the best war system were the rotten tomatoes :). Other players find enjoyment in "useless objects" e.g. mounts of different colors and with different visible efects. Maybe a mount snorts is a special way or displays a certain color. Adding color and effects to the armors. Renting a house (ok, this is a can of worms for fear of hoarding, but there are ways to limit it) and adding furniture with cool effects, as "sit on the chair"'. Places where people could "sing" etc...

I know these ideas have been mentioned before. What would be the best way to capture them so we could review them easy without delving in tons of hijacked topics? :)
(Probably the simplest option would be a moderated section on the forums containing only summarized lists of ideas, polls etc... Another option would be a free issue manager as github.com etc...)

/Bendis

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 21 Aug 2012 17:35

I'm thinking a city for Mithas would be a good thing.

Since it is pretty far out of the way, I would think any sort of shop, smith, or vendor would be expensive to the visiting character.

As for "low hanging fruit," I would suggest Mithas to have a city where more quests on the Blood Sea are available, new and exciting
herbs are located, and maybe even a rental of some kind.

I am still all for renting a bodyguard/pet that could help combat. Perhaps this npc can be capped at adventurer or something.

In order to add color, add some sort of offensive/defensive event that triggers when there are 5+ people in the city.

I think something like that would be a ton of fun.

-B

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 21 Aug 2012 22:40

If Bendis has the energy and interest to code a new city, I'm all for it. What I would suggest would be to find a way to make this city a "new offering" for Genesis. Genesis has dozens and dozens of cities of various quality, complexity, detail, and richness. Unfortunately, few of them are particularly special or do more than offer simply "more" content rather than distinctive or particularly compelling content. If I were to think of various cities in the game that have tried to do some unique things:
  • Minas Tirith: one of the oldest places in the modern game, this city was one of the first to feature night/day cycles that meant something (banks closed) and was designed extremely well so that each progressive circle of the city allowed for quests to permit access to deeper levels of content. It was also one of the first cities (for better or worse) to refuse access based on alignment or faction. These are hardly new ideas anymore, but when it was first developed, these were indeed distinctive and new.
  • Minas Morgul: originally one of the most dreadful places in the game to fool around in, this city features a very real use of the "panic" stat and for mid-sized players can still be a death sentence to anyone playing sloppy. As a sister concept to Minas Tirith, it was created with exclusive access in mind, but went the extra distance of following the story books to provide players with a way to function in the city under disguise and a truly unique quest to try to enter by secret means.
  • Sybarus: A treasure-trove of unique and varied content and one of the rare examples Genesis has of sexual content that is not played for laughs.
  • Original Telberin: Though decommissioned long ago, the original Telberin featured a fantastic series of rooftop adventures that could take place above the city streets.
  • Original Palanthas: You were forced to surrender your weapons before entering. Very unusual and different!
  • New Palanthas: Created to be a different kind of city, current Palanthas deals with all sorts of strange non-obvious alleyways, and is filled with secret content.
The above are examples of cities that tried to do something different. There are certainly more, but I present these for consideration. None of these are my own work, either. In fact, of the three cities I've worked to help create, I feel that two are examples of what we DO NOT NEED. New Telberin is simply boring beyond belief, offering little more than deep descriptions to examine. Other than that there is almost no reason to visit beyond the Torque quest. I also helped redesign Pelargir, which lead to absolutely nothing special or of particular merit. Only with Sparkle do I feel I've been able to bring to the game some new concepts, but even that I am not satisfied with as a complete realization by any means.

Creating a city is a ton of work, and really hard to do right. If that is to be tackled in earnest, I think one would first want to take the time to really isolate why Genesis needs a new city, and what this city would bring to the game that is not yet offered. If Mithas has that potential, then by all means, go go go!

I'd love to hear how such a city could be made special, relevant, and worthy of wizard resources.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 21 Aug 2012 22:47

gorboth wrote:If Bendis has the energy and interest to code a new city, I'm all for it. What I would suggest would be to find a way to make this city a "new offering" for Genesis. Genesis has dozens and dozens of cities of various quality, complexity, detail, and richness. Unfortunately, few of them are particularly special or do more than offer simply "more" content rather than distinctive or particularly compelling content. If I were to think of various cities in the game that have tried to do some unique things:
  • Minas Tirith: one of the oldest places in the modern game, this city was one of the first to feature night/day cycles that meant something (banks closed) and was designed extremely well so that each progressive circle of the city allowed for quests to permit access to deeper levels of content. It was also one of the first cities (for better or worse) to refuse access based on alignment or faction. These are hardly new ideas anymore, but when it was first developed, these were indeed distinctive and new.
  • Minas Morgul: originally one of the most dreadful places in the game to fool around in, this city features a very real use of the "panic" stat and for mid-sized players can still be a death sentence to anyone playing sloppy. As a sister concept to Minas Tirith, it was created with exclusive access in mind, but went the extra distance of following the story books to provide players with a way to function in the city under disguise and a truly unique quest to try to enter by secret means.
  • Sybarus: A treasure-trove of unique and varied content and one of the rare examples Genesis has of sexual content that is not played for laughs.
  • Original Telberin: Though decommissioned long ago, the original Telberin featured a fantastic series of rooftop adventures that could take place above the city streets.
  • Original Palanthas: You were forced to surrender your weapons before entering. Very unusual and different!
  • New Palanthas: Created to be a different kind of city, current Palanthas deals with all sorts of strange non-obvious alleyways, and is filled with secret content.
The above are examples of cities that tried to do something different. There are certainly more, but I present these for consideration. None of these are my own work, either. In fact, of the three cities I've worked to help create, I feel that two are examples of what we DO NOT NEED. New Telberin is simply boring beyond belief, offering little more than deep descriptions to examine. Other than that there is almost no reason to visit beyond the Torque quest. I also helped redesign Pelargir, which lead to absolutely nothing special or of particular merit. Only with Sparkle do I feel I've been able to bring to the game some new concepts, but even that I am not satisfied with as a complete realization by any means.

Creating a city is a ton of work, and really hard to do right. If that is to be tackled in earnest, I think one would first want to take the time to really isolate why Genesis needs a new city, and what this city would bring to the game that is not yet offered. If Mithas has that potential, then by all means, go go go!

I'd love to hear how such a city could be made special, relevant, and worthy of wizard resources.

G.
... and now question to all those who want a city on Mithas:
when was the last time you went to any of the above mentioned cities and actually met someone (aside from applying to MM)?

meditate upon this, before you decide to do this "ton of work"

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/