Attracting wizards/players from other MUDs or elsewhere

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Makfly
Champion

Attracting wizards/players from other MUDs or elsewhere

Post by Makfly » 09 Aug 2012 14:27

Just thought I'd waste some of time at work to surf around and find out how other MUDs are doing...

Doing this I found this post:
I'm looking for someone who needs a Coder and can use my experience. I want to work with C, and prefer Diku derivatives, but I'll be flexible if someone completely knocks my socks off with their plan.

I don't care if you've been around awhile or are just starting out, as long as you have hosting and a plan in mind, but I'm going to lean towards projects that are RP-enforced and/or plan to have crafting systems, because those are my favorite things and thus are the easiest for me to get excited about!

Respond here, or e-mail me at njatazoie@gmail.com
http://www.mudconnect.com/discuss/discu ... 7252#37252

Maybe Genesis could grap this guy and persuade him to help code for our MUD?

EDIT: It seems that there are at least a handful of people looking for MUDs where they can apply their coding skills.
Last edited by Makfly on 09 Aug 2012 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Makfly
Champion

Re: Attracting wizards/players from other MUDs or elsewhere

Post by Makfly » 09 Aug 2012 14:33

I can't see that Genesis have a post in this forum (MUD staff board):
http://www.mudconnect.com/discuss/discuss.cgi

So it would be super, if the Admin could post a note there, and see if that could help attract some coders.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Bendis
Beginner

Post by Bendis » 10 Aug 2012 13:49

What a wonderful idea!

It is not as simple as that though. Here is why. Let's assume you get 3-4 diku-mud coders.

1. The coders do not know Genesis as players
2. Diku-mud and LP Mud are two different animals
3. The code base for Genesis is not accessible to wizards (yes, you heard me right :))

Why is important...

I played Genesis for about two years in 1998-2000. I am a social player, which means that I could care about size, status etc... As a consequence I "know" only a small part of Genesis - Middle Earth, Calia, Terel, a bit of Krynn. i returned around 2010 and meanwhile there were additions as the Mariners guild.

My first task was to come up with an Alchemist guild. At that point talking to the players wasn't something the admin favored. This changed now and this is awesome. One of the recommendations I received from Gorboth was to relate the Alchemist guild somewhat to the Mariners guild

So here I was:
1. I had no idea what the Mariners guild was, where it was etc...
2. I had no access to the code
3. Nobody was able to provide any details about it, couldn't talk to anyone
4. I had time to code but not that much to run around and figure out for myself what/here it was - this would also be the case of most of the diku-mud coders you would bring in.

Well, no wonder what I came up with was no fun:) based on the expectations and recommendations :).

This would be also the case for any new wizard you bring in. They would have very limited abilities to do their jobs.

I believe, for new wizards to be successful and satisfied with their work, we have two options:

1. Open the code for the wizards. If not in game, on something like Git. I am willing to contribute towards a paid Git account to preserve the secrecy of the code for the players while opening it for the wizards. Just to enable them to do their jobs :)

2. If there is the fear someone would just take the code from Git and start another Genesis game :D then "the fearful" need to do some additional work and spend some effort in management.

One cannot let loose an army of coders with no access to the code and expect miracles :)

Just my 0.02.

/Bendis

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 30 Aug 2012 16:03

When I was an active player I used the mudconnector and other sites and searched for muds that used the same Mudlib as we do as a base.
I logged into every LPmud lookalike and tried and there were like 5-10 active on those muds.
But their themes of the mud weren't really matching Genesis and they had a different interface for the players
quite different so not sure if they would like Genesis.
I know there were a ME mud before with the Swan Knights, or Knights of Dol Amroth as they also were called.
Prince Imrahil and those :)

Since I didn't find any fitting mud IMHO to either attract players from or merge with I didn't thought it was even worth
mentioning. But heck I do it now then since this thread started.

Uther's player.
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 30 Aug 2012 16:08

Makfly wrote:I can't see that Genesis have a post in this forum (MUD staff board):
http://www.mudconnect.com/discuss/discuss.cgi

So it would be super, if the Admin could post a note there, and see if that could help attract some coders.
This is really a good idea. Gorboth will you post something there ? Like a recruit post or that we seek more players and wizards ?

Or how do we trick the Polish players on Arkadia to come to Genesis ?

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 30 Aug 2012 16:11

Uther wrote:Or how do we trick the Polish players on Arkadia to come to Genesis ?
for most of them translating 100% of Gen content into polish would do the trick

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 30 Aug 2012 16:12

Laurel wrote:
Uther wrote:Or how do we trick the Polish players on Arkadia to come to Genesis ?
for most of them translating 100% of Gen content into polish would do the trick
They don't know english or they don't wanna know english ? or they don't bother ?

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 30 Aug 2012 16:25

what difference does it make - the outcome is the same

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 02 Sep 2012 18:47

They dont know English good enough. They are more familiar with 'The Witcher' by A. Sapkowski and Warhammer lore, than dragonlance.

And what I dont quite understand... attitude of wizards on arkadia is like that of genesis wizards from 10+ years ago - to put it lightly, not very friendly and autocratic ;) yet still the MUD is swarming with players who don't mind being mobbed and treated like shit by wizards.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 14 Jun 2013 12:21

I've got experience collaborating in different open source projects. C/C++ are my top guns, have tinkered with python and java, and I have worked with LPC in the past (more than 10 years now..).

One of the things I was looking forward to in Genesis was building something and/or fixing something. I love to code and am very passionate about it. The thing is, one needs a lot of experience as a player to be able to do something well and which plays well with the Muds themes, so I've desisted of that idea for the moment until I've got a firm grasp of the game (let's say, a year or two?). Besides, i've gotten too hooked on the game itself and want to experience it as a mortal for a long, long time before I actually think that I can bring something worthwhile to it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/