Banning all scripts

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should scripting of any kind simply be banned to solve the botting issue?

Yes.
40%
No.
60%

Total votes: 45

Tive
Rising Hero

Re: Banning all scripts

Post by Tive » 14 Sep 2012 09:31

Cherek wrote:The killing blow happened over a decade ago... thats one slow death? :)

I seriously doubt there is ONE thing that has caused the decline of players. New mortals levels and/or stats might be a contributing factor though.
Avatar is absolutely right. And yes, Genesis died shortly after the change. Now it's just barely existing as a leftover. If you think otherwise, you are a fool.

Davvol
Veteran

Post by Davvol » 14 Sep 2012 10:06

Laurel wrote:We currently lack explorers and socializers most, while we have achievers enough.
We lack them because of mortal levels system. Before become explorer or socializer you need to reach legend/myth level, but to do it you need to be achiever.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 14 Sep 2012 10:34

Davvol wrote:
Laurel wrote:We currently lack explorers and socializers most, while we have achievers enough.
We lack them because of mortal levels system. Before become explorer or socializer you need to reach legend/myth level, but to do it you need to be achiever.
Did you actually take the time to read any information about such intricate things, or just pulling something out of your ... err thin air?

Most of you people actually do just that here: pull statements out of thin air (actually out of your own narrow vision of a problem - not even half of the problem's aspects) and present them as facts. I've experienced so much bullshit only in discussions with marketing departments so far. I see a remarkable future for many of you in various marketing positions - JUICE for you!

Davvol
Veteran

Post by Davvol » 14 Sep 2012 10:54

Laurel wrote:pull statements out of thin air (actually out of your own narrow vision of a problem - not even half of the problem's aspects) and present them as facts
Lack of arguments
@
call opponent stupid

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 14 Sep 2012 11:48

I could find (as in make them up) any number of wonder-stupid pseudo-logical arguments just as many of you people do on this forum. Just as you - Davvol - did when writing that to be an explorer type of a player, you need top-notch size. You didn't even take the time to think, not to mention read about player-types. Last perfect example of an explorer-type Genesis had didn't even reach rising hero, if I recall right.

Why bother? Why actually bother to develop ANYTHING for such a player-base as Genesis has right now? There's like maybe 4-5 people worthy attention, while the rest constantly whines, abuses or develops other disruptive behaviour. The rest doesn't bother to think, research, tackle the core-issues ... just REQUESTS/REQUIRE.

PATHETIC

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 14 Sep 2012 12:23

Laurel wrote: Why bother? Why actually bother to develop ANYTHING for such a player-base as Genesis has right now? There's like maybe 4-5 people worthy attention, while the rest constantly whines, abuses or develops other disruptive behaviour. The rest doesn't bother to think, research, tackle the core-issues ... just REQUESTS/REQUIRE.

PATHETIC
Disruptive behavious as in attacking allies, stealing kills and in general making the game shittier for others? Abusive as in acting like a world class prick just because you botted yourself into virtual immortality? It all depends on how you define disrupting, you define disrupting as "when I get attacked beeing afk behind someone" as disrupting prolly?`:P

Or are those things you just mentioned only applicable when people dont agree with you?

"Last perfect example of an explorer-type Genesis had didn't even reach rising hero, if I recall right." In your opinion. Not sure we have a system of determening whos the best player/archetype player?

By your own words you're not worthy of attention after years of one-sided ranger whining when if I understand it, rangers are one of the most active guilds at the moment.

Before you start bitching about people whining make sure you're not a huge whiner yourself.

And for the record, I agree that the new mortal lvls and that crap killed the game, noone does ANYTHING anymore unless they are myth, before you'd hit champ, be happy as a clam and just enjoy the game without having to stress yourself over new titles.

Titan

Post by Avatar » 14 Sep 2012 13:49

before you'd hit champ, be happy as a clam and just enjoy the game without having to stress yourself over new titles.
Touché. Spot on.

Sadly that fact has been ignored by the admin over the years, and thus the game has kept dwindling. I refuse to belive that the drop in active players is due to people getting older, starting families, getting jobs etc.

I'm 37, have a hectic job and a family. I would play Genesis still, were it not for the mentioned change that many years ago, as I, personally, believe that the game would still have many more people around if it weren't for that.

And people means fun for me.

I'm not sure who Laurel's attack were aimed at, but I certainly don't hope I'm one of them, as I did state that it was my PERSONAL opinion. I am not stating anything as fact.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 17 Sep 2012 22:25

It would be exceptionally easy to hide player levels. I'm going to create a poll.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Megarius
Apprentice

Post by Megarius » 27 Sep 2012 21:21

I dont think disabling scripting is a good idea. It would help against bots yes, but it would also hurt people who use scripting for triggers, aliases etc. Almost every MUD client is scripting friendly. Why? So people can bot? I dont think so. Its because people played MUDs for many years and came up with better clients every year to make them more convenient and take away the routine of adding every command, skill, action etc etc by hand.

I mean do MUDs supposed to be like writing a book? You are playing a MUD and constantly typing something, feels more like writing a novel. Problem is that novel consists of hundreds of identical words, commands, actions if you understand what I mean. Thats why triggers and aliases were created so that we dont have to type the same things over and over again. Imagine someone who has arthritis try to play a MUD without aliases and triggers.. ouch! Well I dont but I can see how this can get painful literally or figuratively speaking if scripting is disabled in Gen completely.

One thing is when you use MUD client features to make the play less tedious and another when your MUD client actually plays the game for you. I bet there were and maybe still are players who leave their characters overnight in game having their MUD clients clean the rooms for them in some kind of a distant corner of the realm.

I think that whatever trigger/script makes your character MOVE through the rooms has to be considered as botting and punished. I think it shouldn't be a problem for wizzards to do a control check on specific player and see how they play. If they go from one room to another with some few second delay and fire specific kill commands out even if mobs are not there - there, you got your bot. If character is moving from one room to another - do control question check, if they dont answer and still are moving - beat him with sticks. One thing is if you are afk but another is if you are afk how is it that your character is still moving?

If you AFK and not answering on control question yet you are still moving from one room to another you are botting. You don't like answering control questions? Learn to like it or be beaten with wiz sticks.

So yeah, scripting is ok. But if that scripting moves you around - you better answer that control question. Thats what I think about all this.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 19 Oct 2012 06:50

Long time no see. I just wanted to add my 2cc to this discussion.

First of all, I'd be all for banning all scripts but it would, in my opinion, require some changes to the game. Some of the things I'm proposing here are purely anti-script based and some are just general enhancements I believe would benefit the game as not to start another thread for it.

1. Support for ANSI color.

This is a big one for me. It wouldn't have to be extensive, as to not make things unreadable, but some basic stuff:
- room exits
- npcs/players in the room
- say/whisper etc.
- combat hits
- health levels (not necessarily different color-code for each level, just to make it stand out more during the fights)

This are the top things I think should be highlighted to make stuff more readable.

2. Making things fair.

All guild specials should be automated (within reason). Take for example Calians, who can just type "mbsw playername" and "crepeat on" once and they're all set. For comparison, Rangers have to track their special to cycle it properly as they have 3 different commands to input, juggle spell components etc. Mercs' special is very fast so you'd have to spam it a lot. Then there's the question of using your special again after recovering from a stun and so on and on. Some guilds would have to type a lot while others can just sit back and chill. Make it even playing field for everyone, because right now I have to write 300 lines of script code just to get similar functionality to what Calians get out of the box (and they're still better because their specials work even if they DC during the fight and mine won't).

3. Generic specials.

Knee, kick, elbow. Stuff like that should be available to everybody. Especially that combat in Genesis is completely special-centric as regular hits don't do a lot.

4. General combat enhancements.

Give each mob and player a small chance of getting a "lucky hit" on a hit and "unlucky hit" on misses/parries etc. which would trigger random effects.

Lucky hit examples:
- bleed: target starts bleeding, losing a % of their life each round, multiple bleeding wounds are cumulative (% based so that your stats don't really matter and even big myths would have to look out for that, it would also promote getting healers for the team)
- blind: self explanatory
- stun: self explanatory
- daze: reduced defense, parry and all combat skills
- shatter: destroy equipment
- disarm: self explanatory

Unlucky hit examples:
- trip: break concentration (special failure), reduced defense, parry and combat skills
- self-disarm
- weapon shatter

This way you get not only more entertaining combat but also increase difficulty when fighting multiple enemies (higher chance of getting screwed).

There could also be some team bonuses added, like enemy getting reduced defense and parry skills against everything that's not his main target.

5. Brute/experience sytem revamp.

This has been going on for ever and ever. I still believe that the game would be way more entertaining with hard cap set at lower level, which would have several effects:
- smaller players = need to team
- lower ceiling to reach = you can get there fast and enjoy the game
- no more "if I want to grow big/create new char I'll have to do a gazillion quests"

Seriously, there should really be a way to grow the way you like. Some people find quests tedious and deterring while others prefer to quest and herb than kill all day long. Why are people being forced to do things they don't like (and which sometimes don't even make sense from RP perspective) to be able to get to any reasonable level? If someone wants to create a mean fighting machine who doesn't care about some hobbit's lost sandal or something, I say let them. The same goes for someone who would like to play a peaceful healer, spending their days gathering herbs and helping said hobbit find his lost wardrobe. Two completely different ways which would ultimately lead to the same place: highest level in the game.

It also works into what Laurel said. If you don't have too much time on your hands, you still would like to see something more than "insignificant progress" after spending an hour playing the game.

Oh, and remove death penalty alltogether to prevent title grinding.

6. Change to "health" command.

This one is purely personal thing for me:

"health" would show your health and that of the target you're hitting.
"health combat" would show your health and everything that's hitting you.
"health team" is pretty self explanatory.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/