What are you reading right now?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Nagash
Beginner

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Nagash » 19 Oct 2011 15:58

Interesting, I'll give "Orcs" a try as soon as I'm finished with mr. Eco.

The series is written by different writers in non-lineral fashion, only few of the novels have to be read in order - first four books which are dealing with the events leading to the corruption of Horus himself, and then two books concerning Dark Angels. So read "The first heretic" first if you like, it's the earliest in the heresy's timeline anyway. I'd suggest that you start from the book one ("Horus rising" - which is in fact Lovecraftian-like horror with space marines) to fully enjoy the series, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus_Heresy_%28novels%29

What appeals to me the most is that in most of the novels of the series the writers tend to create complex characters with rich background, with doubts, hopes etc just to have them betrayed, brought to their knees and then ripped to shreds along with their loved ones. Be it main protagonists or minor characters who appear only to be slaughtered. Like in this tiny bit from book 14: "A Thousand Sons" by Graham McNeill:

Code: Select all

The northern Palatine Guard deployed on the edges of the burning port, occupying the high parapets of
overlooking libraries and galleries of the Nephrate district. Their commander, Katon Aphea, was the
heir apparent to one of Prospero’s oldest families, a young and gifted officer with great potential. He
anchored his defence on the Caphiera Tholus and positioned his troops with a tactical acumen that
would have been lauded at any Imperial Army scholam.
Leman Russ and his Wolves overran Aphea’s position in less than two minutes.
edit: typos

Strider
Adept

Post by Strider » 15 Jan 2013 21:03

[url=http://genesismud.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=17542#p17542]Over here,[/url] Zhar wrote:Thanks to the game you can now buy The Witcher books in english. I recommend those if you like the "down and dirty" fantasy.
Okay. It looks like I want to start by adding The Last Wish translated by Danusia Stok to my queue, right?

As long as we're talking books:
  • I am just starting the fourth Flavia de Luce mystery and I have been recommending the series.
    ImageI Am Half-Sick of Shadows, Alan Bradley
  • I probably would have finished this book faster if I didn't keep stopping to listen to the music David Byrne referenced.
    ImageHow Music Works, David Byrne
  • A coworker suggested The Iron Druid Chronicles and I just finished the second book.
    ImageHexed, Kevin Hearne
  • I read The Left Hand of God a while back and am looking forward to picking up the second book.
    ImageThe Last Four Things, Paul Hoffman
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 15 Jan 2013 22:20

Been a while since I read them.
But I highly recomend the John Scalzi books "Old Man's War, Ghost Brigade, The Last Colony and Zoë's Tale"
Probably the Sci Fi/Fantasy books I have enjoyed the most.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 15 Jan 2013 22:22

I'm getting into the world of Iron Kingdoms.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Jan 2013 17:37

I am reading the "Mistborn" trilogy. Really good fantasy imho!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 18 Jan 2013 20:32

My favorite author outside of Tolkien. Check his stuff out - truly wonderful.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 02 Sep 2013 13:06

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 09 Sep 2013 16:18

Aimee
Wanderer