Pay to Slay?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Does this seem like a good idea? (please post your rationale)

Yes! This would fix so many things.
22%
Yes, but the idea needs work.
53%
No, this would cause more problems than it solves.
19%
No! Terrible solution.
6%

Total votes: 32

Zhar
Wizard

Re: Pay to Slay?

Post by Zhar » 01 Feb 2013 00:46

gorboth wrote:I agree that changing the death penalty is a prerequisite to creating better PvP tools. If we ever want to make PvP seem like a fun "option" or "thing to do" with the game, and create easier ways to succeed in a kill, we first need to make death more palatable.

G.
Why not just adopt the prevalent system in practically every single MMO out there: you lose % of your progress to next level upon death but can't drop below your current level. Millions of people are fine with that.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Creed

Post by Creed » 01 Feb 2013 12:43

The reason this works in the MMO's, is that there is a set limit as to how big you can be.

If people could never become smaller in Genesis, we would end up with some people being myths + insanely many fantastics..
I see no problem in putting in a cap.. if there was one, people would probably begin to do something else.
And isn't that the whole issue here? That everyone are too focused on grinding?

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 01 Feb 2013 13:44

How about reaching the soft-cap we have now and comming back to topic?
Actually we have even 2 soft-caps. One from quest exp aka brutality and the second from the stat calc formula that is on this board as well.
Draugor already wrote about the first one when he stated why he stopped Draugor in favour of a new char.

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 01 Feb 2013 15:32

I think that this is a pretty good idea in general.

I died shortly after returning, and got pretty big penalties imo.

I died when I was trying to push myself seeing if I could perhaps kill tougher mobs. Turns out I couldn't, and the penalty for that was pretty harsh - which removed any wish to explore new venues to kill mobs, so I stayed in Gont to grind the loss back. With another system, I'd be more inclined to take more chances and in effect see more of the game, other than the Gont guard tower and the warrior camps.

The mud where I went after I quit playing Genesis back in the day (StarMUD) had a system that is similar to what G suggested. There you'd buy clones that were pretty expensive, and upon death you'd revert back to your cloned state. Without a clone you'd take some standard penalty, that wasn't very hard a new characters, but would hurt you a bit if you were bigger. It did have the nice feature of giving you a fallback option when you decided to try your luck at new areas, you could buy a new clone before venturing into the unknown.

Also, that was a pretty pvp focused mud, and I believe that they had a different penalty for getting killed by a player rather than getting killed by an NPC - it had some penalty but not as big as the ones by normal deaths. There they had an outlaw system that flagged some races/profs for for pvp and various crimes that made you an outlaw for a while. It worked pretty well and it had a very lively pvp system going. Just wanted to add that, that there are more than one way of making pvp more attractive.

Now that I've been trying to get the client thing working, I've been ideling in Sparkle with an alt, testing triggers and commands and scripts, and I've been killed by another player twice. Penalties for those deaths are just sad, imo.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 01 Feb 2013 16:22

gruff wrote:'ve been ideling in Sparkle with an alt, testing triggers and commands and scripts, and I've been killed by another player twice.
say what???

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 01 Feb 2013 19:48

Laurel wrote:
gruff wrote:'ve been ideling in Sparkle with an alt, testing triggers and commands and scripts, and I've been killed by another player twice.
say what???
Some people get very upset at the use and testing of random triggers and aliases!

Still, the point was that perhaps getting killed, in Sparkle, by someone who can basically two shot you shouldn't give that much of a penalty (any, imo).

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 01 Feb 2013 19:59

Well Gruff.. It pretty much doesnt give you any penalty at all at that size.
Heck, become friendly with some heavy grinders and one trip through Faerun and you'll prolly have 10 times over what you loose on one death ;P
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Nomm
Apprentice

Post by Nomm » 02 Feb 2013 09:01

I think it has potential, and I am in favor of it. There could
be a formula who checks the average stat of the killer and
the average stat of the victim. If there is a very big difference
there could simply be no death penalty at all, or a very small
one.

One could also make the money cost alot smaller for a pvp
death, compared to a environment related death. To encourage
interaction and pvp even more.

Remember, that if you pvp and get killed you most likely
also loose alot of gear, herbs, potions, heck even your auction
paddle!! The loss of equipment can many times be frustrating
and painful enough for a pvp death imo.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 02 Feb 2013 09:47

Considering most racks are stacked with superb gear nowdays?
No not at all.
Gear come and go.. Thats something we all deal with on a daily basis.. Breakage or otherwise.

I support the notion that if someone really big kills someone really small(average calculated?) then there should be a much lighter penalty though.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 02 Feb 2013 12:25

Since I'm just a tiny defeneless titan, I will go free if somebody gank me? I like that notion!

Ofcourse, if the tide turns and I slay the perpetrator, it will drown in his own tears? :twisted:
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/