Giant Black Maul - Is it a club or a polearm?

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Laurel

Re: Giant Black Maul - Is it a club or a polearm?

Post by Laurel » 21 Feb 2013 11:36

OgreToyBoy wrote:I think for ogres the GBM should be a club as we are large enough to use it as one :P
hell yeah ... tho Straag is not ogre anymore and Laurel ain't Ranger ... but agreed on the rest! ;)

resurrecting this dead horse due to nostalgia

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 21 Feb 2013 12:10

I don't agree anymore as I'm no longer an ogre!!!
I rather want it to stay as polearm ... for me.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 21 Feb 2013 18:21

No one wins. I turned it into a knife.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Feb 2013 20:09

Holyshit... Imagine the SU fling with THAT knife O_o
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 21 Feb 2013 21:12

Fling it with Ashburz still attached to it, I guess, since he might turn out to be lighter than the maul itself ;p

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 04 Mar 2013 20:13

gorboth wrote:No one wins. I turned it into a knife.
i LOVE that idea :)
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 04 Mar 2013 21:16

gorboth wrote:No one wins. I turned it into a knife.
Can't it be both polearm and club at the same time? Hackchack(?) is axe/club I believe...
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Mar 2013 02:35

I think its even a club, axe AND polearm, depending on how you grip it. Hacchak? Well something like that, you're guess at spelling it is as good as mine.:)

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 06 Mar 2013 17:58

There are a variety of different types of Mauls that all fall into different categories.

The Giant black maul is not specific in which category it falls into. Most mauls are in essence warhammers. Therefore, they are clubs. There are, however, splitting mauls which are axes with a large flat side opposite to the ax blade. Maul's can also be like sledgehammers, based on their design.

What is clear, however, is that Mauls are rarely considered to polearms. A polearm, is in essence, a long handled weapon with some type of end. You can have a variety of these as well. Halberds have an ax blade and a spear point. Bec du Corbin is almost identical, except instead of ax blades on both sides it has an ax blade, a spike on top, and a flat bludgeon on the opposite side.

Personally I never have considered that the Giant Black Maul should be anything but a club. If you wish it to be a polearm I would suggest a name change from Giant Black Maul, to Giant Black Morning Star (which consequently are typically considered halberd but are clubs in genesis...go figure.)

Windemere.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 06 Mar 2013 18:39

Maul and morning star are 2 different concepts. Morning star is a club with round head and spikes (hence star) while maul is essentially a war hammer. Since GBM is a polearm I guess it is actually a Bec de Corbin:

ImageImageImage

Left to right: morning star, war hammer, bec de corbin. Worthy of note here is also the fact that morning star sometimes features a chain between the handle and the ball (cavalry version to be used from the horse as it's worthless on foot).

It's all really tricky because some weapons can essentially fall into several categories and it all depends on how many categories you have to use. If we were to assign categories to weapons based on how you fight with them we would essentially have such categories:

1. one and two-handed axe, sword, spear, club, chain-weapon (one and two-handed being separate categories for each)
2. knife/dagger
3. javelin
4. polearm
5. lance

This should more or less cover everything we have.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/