Minstrel Recode

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Laurel

Minstrel Recode

Post by Laurel » 01 Mar 2013 11:28

[split from the Common Board: February Update thread - Moderator]

Can we have the join restrictions for Minstrels removed already now?
It looks a tad stupid to be banished from a layman guild without align/race restrictions for having been a dark disciple in the ancient past (how many years have to go past?) or for having left the Minstrels 3 times.

petros
Site Admin

Re: End of February Update

Post by petros » 01 Mar 2013 21:40

Laurel wrote:Can we have the join restrictions for Minstrels removed already now?
It looks a tad stupid to be banished from a layman guild without align/race restrictions for having been a dark disciple in the ancient past (how many years have to go past?) or for having left the Minstrels 3 times.
I'll be working on the Minstrels. Start a new minstrel specific thread and put your suggestions there.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 01 Mar 2013 21:54

You mean you can't just remove those restrictions now and they are to be tackled with the whole recode?

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 01 Mar 2013 22:03

Every guild has issues. Rather not go around changing guilds unless we're doing the recoded changes.

Kitriana
Champion

Re: Minstrel Recode

Post by Kitriana » 03 Mar 2013 03:59

Can you let us know when you're ready to start on them? And then im sure we could chime in with ideas. Just don't want to overload you when you're working on something else
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 03 Mar 2013 07:37

Don't worry about overloading. Ideas are always welcome - with the understanding that I'll have to make choices on different ideas so don't be offended if you offer an idea that isn't ultimately taken.

I like to think about future plans while working on current code. So please do share your ideas frequently and often!

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 03 Mar 2013 23:55

Well -- first I'd like to say that I like the idea of keeping Minstrels Neutral -- so you can be one whether you're good or evil aligned. So hope that won't change.

In terms of abilities -- Would love to see these updated a bit. Minstrels have been around for as long as I've been in the game.. which is since 1995 .. and I've not seen much changed in them despite the fact so many new and diverse abilities have been added to the game. you're only able to have so many power songs in your book at a time from 6 different power song options based on stats.. maybe this could be looked at in terms of the diversity of possible songs available? so perhaps you still can only have total limit based on stat level but the variety would be larger so there would potentially be more variety in terms of what minstrels could invidually do or would change based on need due to size of character? So lets say you're at full guild stat -- you still only get 6 power songs. But there are 10 available. Maybe even break it up to upper level power songs and lower level power songs so the ones perceived as "needing more balance" you can only have a limited number of those. So someone isn't overstuffing their book with too much power. But the options would still exist.

I'll refrain from posting existing songs despite that I think everyone basically knows what they are since the guild is pretty easy to join and i'm sure most people have been a member at one point in their life with one character or another of theirs.

Some new ideas (i'm just brainstorming here based on mythology of what song can do so i realize some of these ideas aren't complete or impossible to do):
-darkness song - which would create darkness for a limited period of time (reverse to current light song)
-sleep song -- which would make your opponent fall asleep or sluggish/slow or (if that seems like too much to the wizards) their feet fall asleep for a limited period of time :D
-distraction song - not sure of exact effects
-trance song - where you have to go in the direction the person tells you .. or have some kind of ability to get the person to do something you want.
-speed song (obviously i dont need this for my character just think it might be an interesting idea) - makes you go faster and is kind of the opposite of the sleep song idea cept its directed at yourself not others -- although i suppose that would be kind of cool too
-shattering song - not sure what you'd be shattering ... i just keep thinking about a glass shattering and how that could somehow be applied or altered -- ie breaking a container someone has .. or something like that

hopes this drums up some ideas for other people and they can chime in with some potentially other cool ideas.

At some point -- would love to see some of the descriptions for these perhaps updated. I've not looked at them closely. But I'm sure we could refresh them.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 04 Mar 2013 03:33

When it comes to Minstrels I'd love to see them made more into what bard classes did in D&D games (with a lot of success in Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights series).

1. Auras:

With progression through ranks the minstrel would get access to several uplifting songs, their effects would be continuous and affect the entire team. Only one such aura could be up at any one time.

2. Songs:

Pretty much what minstrels have now, with more variety, more focussed on buffing, debuffing (instead of healing) and single-target effects.

3. Spells:

Access to some low level illusion and enchantment spells.

4. Sleight-of-Hand:

Pick pocket and such.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 04 Mar 2013 20:26

I'm really hoping heal does not go away from Minstrels.

1) Its a guild that both evils and good aligned can be in and have a heal. (and with EW becoming closer aligned to occupation guild .. it will be harder for people to have their "indenpendance") I actually feel laymen branches being more strongly attached to occupational branches to be a negative trend in the realms and not something I'm in favor of at all.
2) With the way EW is going in terms of thematics (and I know this is selfish)--- It seems like it won't be an option for certain guilds (including Union) from a thematic standpoint. I think that would be an unfortunate development.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 04 Mar 2013 21:53

I agree with Kitriana on this one.
Having layman guilds align too close with occupational guild is BAD
Just look at how things escalated with Bloodguard and Vampires vs the Donut.

As for Zhars suggestion.. it was something I wanted for the guild as well.. Maybe with the exception of pick pocket et cetra.
Focus on auras and passive powers.
Make them someone everyone would want in a team.
Passive heal aura to increase health regen.
Passive mana regeneration aura.
Haste aura
Slow aura
et cetra et cetra
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/