Promotional Testimonials

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Have you promoted the game yet? Share your story!

Yes! Of course I've been promoting the game.
50%
No, I haven't promoted yet, but I fully plan to!
6%
No. I sort of want to but I am (honestly) probably too lazy.
25%
No! Screw all y'alls.
19%

Total votes: 16

gorboth
Site Admin

Promotional Testimonials

Post by gorboth » 01 Oct 2011 00:24

I think it would be fun to hear testimonials of how people have been promoting the game. I'll start!

Testimonial: How I spent my Birthday, by Gorboth Nwalkaer

Truth: Last Wednesday on September 28th I turned 39. 39! Geez ... what an age to be. Ever since the promotional campaign launched, I'd really wanted to lead the charge as a shining example of how to go out there and promote promote promote. In anticipation of this, at the beginning of September, I even made a dry run to Kinko's to test-print a few of the poster formats on different sizes and types of paper. So ... the promotional launch happens, the timing is perfect! My girls are about to start school with my youngest being in full-day kindergarten for the first time, and me with only half-time employment this means sufficient time to do this thing right! And then what happens ...... ?

TEACHERS STRIKE. Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! So there it was. For the next 8 school days, more than a week and a half's worth of time, instead I am in full-on stay-at-home dad mode as my wife slogs it out at her 50+ hour a week job, doing all the housework, childcare, cooking, etc. I should be out there promoting, doggone it! We launched promotion! I've fired the gun! Given the signal! Marshalled the troops! But here I am, frozen in domestic blissfulness with my two very wonderful daughters (seriously, it was great to spend time with them, but the timing? DREADFUL!!)

So the teacher's strike is finally over, and I'm picking up the pieces of my *own* RL job, having taken so much time off to watch the girls. Still no way I can promote myself! Arrrrrrgh ... what a disgraceful Keeper! Way to set the example, Dorkboth! So, the next week is spent catching up, desperately trying to find the time. And then I see it ... the answer ... my birthday is coming up! Ahhhh yes. That's it. I refuse to work on my birthday!

So with the girls back in school, me caught up on work, the day of my 39th birthday dawned. I got up with the sparrows at 6:00am for my morning jog and all was well. I inhaled deeply as I beat the pavement, filled with purpose and courage for the day's events. This was finally it - the day that I myself would do what I could to promote the game. After my jog I got home, got the girls lunches made and got them off to school. On my dry run to Kinko's I had researched the perfect type of paper to use for printing out the posters, so I had a nice ream of 500 sheets of 32 lb. (sturdier, looks far better) paper to use. I took it to our church where they have superior printing equipment that I knew I'd be able to use free of charge and I printed out the "tear-off-tabs" version of the poster at 200 copies.

I then got to work at cutting along the individual lines of the tabs so that each poster was prepped for display. Ugh! This was some work! With the thicker paper, I found that I could only do 4 sheets at a time without risking messing up the bottom copies and ruining them. So, away I went, making all 16 cuts 50 times. By the end I had to switch fingers because I had worked a very painful blister into my ring finger on one hand due to the repetition of the cutting, which lasted a full 45 minutes. A proud wound, hard won in the fields of promotional battle, said I!

Earlier that morning, I had made a stop to Office Depot to find just the perfect type of carrying unit for my materials. I found one in a delightful little briefcase-looking job that was made of flexible plastic with many separations inside that opened accordion-style when the cover was unclipped. It was ideal for my purposes, and when closed carried at smaller size than most laptop computers. Very unobtrusive, and not likely to get me any undue attention while on the job! I also chose the proper clothing - a zip-up sleeveless polar fleece from Old Navy that had two perfect pockets on either side. In one pocket went my fully-loaded stapler, and on the other my roll of tape. I had three spare rolls of tape also packed into the carrying case. I was now geared up, and ready to move forth for many fanta progress levels in promotional glory!

In the car I hopped and drove the 20 minutes to my Alma Mater ... my old university. I knew this campus well, and was ready to go nuts on the place. I'd thought this through. I knew this university had a "do not post" ban on any promotional materials that had not been cleared by Campus Life and given their official stamp. So posting on bulletin boards was a no-go, they'd just get torn down in no time flat. A waste of time and money! No, I knew just what to do ... when in doubt, go for the common denominator of all life. That's right, my friends ... these babies were going up in the TOILETS!

So, for the next two hours, I led the glory filled life of a bathroom ninja. I would nonchalantly stroll with my small briefcase into each and every MALE bathroom in every public building on campus. There, I would find the (almost always) unoccupied furthest stall. Often times, these were larger to accomodate wheelchairs, which was just perfect! I would then go to work. Using this stall as my workstation, I would sit on the conveniently located porcelain chair (toilet) and open my briefcase. I would remove just the right number of posters needed to cover every stall in the bathroom, and I would pre-tape each and every one of them. Then, I would wait and listen to the various oh-so-pleasant sounds of the various other bathroom users around me until I could be certain that the bathroom was clear of all patrons. Then, leaping into action I would dash from the safety of my workspace, slapping up a poster in each stall, and exiting the bathroom. The coup de grace was to make sure that on each poster I tore off one of the tabs to set the psychology that there was interest. Following the bathroom conquest, I went to the the music building and put a poster up in each and every practice room. People sit in those things and sing, play the piano, whatnot for hours. Our poster will be staring at them! I also know for a fact that practice rooms are almost never cleaned by janetorial staff, meaning that no evil jerk would tear down the poster in the name of clean walls.

Rince, wash, repeat. Each time I put up the poster, the tab that I tore off I would place in my pocket. Returning home at the end of the day, I counted 50 tabs. Take that, unsuspecting student world! The University was the place I first fell in love with Genesis. I went to sleep on my birthday knowing that I had done my part in pushing that tradition forward a generation.

I dreamed of the echoing sounds of the bathroom, but it was worth it.
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Iliana
Wanderer

Re: Promotional Testimonials

Post by Iliana » 01 Oct 2011 00:38

I have been putting up posters, mostly the tab tear off ones and some of the bookmarks and qrcode cards. My daughter is hitting the city restaurants and bar this coming week and I will be seeing if my new job, the college I will start work at on Tuesday will let me put up posters there. Hope so. Also we are planning a Saturday to hit the book spots, libraries, bookstores, etc. Just tuck a bookmark in to random books or the business cards into random books. Also going to see if my husband will take some promo stuff with him in his semi truck and leave them around the country where he drives, in the driver lounges of the truck stops.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 01 Oct 2011 04:37

Dorkboth the 20something bathroom ninja.. Thats your new signature on Genesis now you know :D
By the way.. youre not 39.. you are twentyninteen.. uh huh.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 01 Oct 2011 10:29

Donno how much I try... Ive post the link on several sites where people come, On my Youtube channel and others. Ive gotten malbeth to pop in again, and ill go around the local schools when my printer gets color, and then hang some posters, libary and other places in town.

So I promote yes. But in the same tempo as my grind to Myth.. (slowly)
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 01 Oct 2011 10:53

Alorrana wrote: ... and ill go around the local schools when my printer gets color, and then hang some posters, libary and other places in town.
Sounds great, Alorrana! Err ... but the posters are all black & white, no? Why wait for color? :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 01 Oct 2011 11:13

hehe.. well its out of color.. including black.. its very greyish and dosnt look all that well.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 01 Oct 2011 15:56

Almost not worth mentioning, but I promoted it on an active miniature-painting/tabletop gaming site, which has a "off-topic" section where alot of computer games are discussed.
Also mailed a few old friends who're former players about Genesis's reemergence.

Don't know if anything has come of it, though.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 08 May 2013 23:17

Just so people are aware, today I finally implemented the option for new characters to take a survey in the pre-tutorial sequence before creation. This survey gives the ability to get very specific about where you heard about the game, including naming the Genesis character who told you about the game. So, in your efforts to promote, it can be worthwhile now to say something like:

"Tell 'em Gorboth sent ya!" (except with your own character's name ... heh)

In the future it might be that I'll hand out rewards for those people who have the most mentions for having brought people to the game.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 09 May 2013 23:12

Alright! Here's my response to today's post on the Common Board.

This morning I jumped back into action, repeating the process detailed in the headlining post of this thread. (give it a re-read!)

In the end, around 50 posters were placed throughout the campus of Pacific Lutheran University, USA. Practice rooms in the music building and men's bathrooms in every major building at the college now (oh so) proudly display a tear-tab Genesis promotional poster printed on 32 lb. paper (it holds up better, and allows people to tear off the tabs without destroying the entire poster in the process.)

I'll be watching the survey results like a hawk!

Please post your own testimonials below!

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 11 May 2013 10:48

gorboth wrote:Alright! Here's my response to today's post on the Common Board.

This morning I jumped back into action, repeating the process detailed in the headlining post of this thread. (give it a re-read!)

In the end, around 50 posters were placed throughout the campus of Pacific Lutheran University, USA. Practice rooms in the music building and men's bathrooms in every major building at the college now (oh so) proudly display a tear-tab Genesis promotional poster printed on 32 lb. paper (it holds up better, and allows people to tear off the tabs without destroying the entire poster in the process.)

I'll be watching the survey results like a hawk!

Please post your own testimonials below!

G.
Awesome! Tomorrow you wear a disguise and do the women's bathrooms too, right? ;)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/