New Official Client Unveiled for Testing!

General discussion about the Genesis Web Client located at https://www.genesismud.org/play/

Moderator: Eowul

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Irk
Rising Hero

Re: New Official Client Unveiled for Testing!

Post by Irk » 20 Aug 2013 16:03

Looks AWESOME!
Great job guys :mrgreen:

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 20 Aug 2013 18:12

Kiara wrote:This addition suddenly makes the game a gazillion times more promotable!!!
Exactly! This is the thing I've basically been waiting to see happen since promotion became a serious undertaking. More and more of the world is now supported by the magic map, and nearly all of the "newbie experience" is there.

So ... do go promote if you've been waiting to do so. ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 20 Aug 2013 18:26

A tiny suggestion! Well, okay, two.

When you "quit" you're kinda stuck and need to refresh the browser, or close/restart to be able to connect again. How about adding a small "reconnect" button when you quit? Or maybe a reconnect/disconnect button thats always there, so you can linkdie without closing the window?

And, I noticed sometimes when you click on another window, like another website or another program you have running, and then return to the Genesis client window, sometimes the text window is no longer marked. So you start typing and nothing happens... and you have to click that text area again. It seems to work most of the time though... but not always. So... maybe it can be fixed so that the text area is always, no matter what, active when you return to the Genesis browser window?

I am using a Mac with Chrome by the way, if that information is useful.

Pretty small details I know! But well, you wanted feedback, and it would be helpful and remove two small annoyances!

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 20 Aug 2013 18:43

The new client looks pretty good. Impressive work!

One thing I noticed was some weird formatting of the actual page. I've taken a screenshot of it, and you can see it in the map and chat window, with the line going across the text and the bottom scrollbar, that persists, even if I expand the browser window horizontally - only the main text field gets wider, the scrollbar doesn't disappear.

There are also a few immediate things I miss when I compare it to my ancient zMud client:
  • paths
  • green text
  • colour-coding text in general
  • programmable keys (numpad for in/out)
  • input field - put in a letter then press up-arrow to get the last line typed that starts with the letter
As in I put in 'e' and press up-arrow, then the input-field gets filled by my last typed line that starts with 'e' - 'enter bushes' for instance. It's a quick way to navigate in previously typed commands, or I also use it as a way to "pre-type" inputs in conversations, based off on what I presume the other party is going to say, so I can reply quicker. Or type something in, and then you get interrupted and have to input another command. Then you can get back to the previous half-typed input, by using that method.

Still it's pretty spiffy, and certainly holds much promise - and now the magic map is really becoming useful. :-)

Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 20 Aug 2013 19:15

Makfly: It doesnt look that way for me, it looks like it should!

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 20 Aug 2013 19:39

Kiara wrote:Makfly: It doesnt look that way for me, it looks like it should!
I'm using Win7, Firefox 23.0.1. Maybe that's what's making it look weird?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 20 Aug 2013 19:48

Makfly: Maybe, on Mac Lion with Chrome it looks like it should.

However on Safari it doesnt work. At all. I can maybe add a screenshot later, gotta go now! But well... uh, it just looks completely messed up, and it doesnt even connect. All I get is black empty windows on top of the background, the black windows are all the wrong size and have a height of like one inch... and no text at all.

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 20 Aug 2013 19:52

For Chrome users the client can now be installed as a Chrome App.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... mgfmeefmaa

Eowul
Wizard

Post by Eowul » 20 Aug 2013 20:16

I've added the various suggestions to the wish list, so far they all seem reasonable requests.
Caretaker of Arda

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 20 Aug 2013 22:43

Amazing job guys, seriously, bravo!

Love that triggers can be written in javascript.

Can we import/export triggers?

This seems like the sort of project that could be put on GitHub and open-sourced to the community. Any chance that will happen?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/