Genesis for Education

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Habiki
Adept

Genesis for Education

Post by Habiki » 11 Sep 2013 05:53

I wanted to share with you all (my virtual friends and enemies!) that, in addition promoting the Calian Warriors, I've also been trying to promote Genesis as a whole through my English education website http://www.classeverywhere.com. While it's certainly a work in progress (I'm not much of a web designer), the site is starting to pick up steam due to a surprising influx of traffic from Facebook advertising (which may be something for the Genesis promotional team to consider as well). I'm linking to the new web-client and homepage and threw some banners up as well. You can find all this at http://www.classeverywhere.com/Materials.html. Special thanks go to Gorboth for providing the template for the Genesis Club document (Awesome!), which explains somewhat the rationale behind this effort that will hopefully bear fruit in the form of new players.

And so, on to a few points about this topic:

1) Any thoughts on the use of Genesis as an educational platform? This is also being addressed somewhat in the recent Reddit thread on this forum. Any thoughts on what would make a fun and effective class in the MUD, especially in terms of English education? Easy and interesting quests, zones, etc...

2) For myself and others to promote Genesis more effectively on websites, it would be nice to have a wider assortment of banners available, in case those of you who are artistically inclined can come up with something.

3) I'm thinking about making a screen-capture video for social media explaining how to play the game and maybe doing a character creation and/or tutorial walk-through. Or maybe someone else wants to do that! I'm noticing my students saying they don't really understand what this is about or how to play.

4) As I value your opinions, I would appreciate if you private message or email me feedback regarding my site, the wording of the "Gaming" section and suggestions for other education web-based games that I might include there, as well as the wording of the Genesis Club document. Again, privately please, so as not to disrupt this thread.

5) If you, your family or friends could use help with English, I'd be glad to work with you.

Thank you!
Habiki

Kiara
Champion

Re: Genesis for Education

Post by Kiara » 11 Sep 2013 17:01

Well I dont have so much creative input, but I think everything you say are great ideas.

I know for sure computer games in general, and Genesis in particular, was a big part in teaching me english. So using that as a "selling point" definitely sounds like a good idea!

It's probably also much more appealing for teachers and parents to use as education since its text based rather than graphic. In graphics games you can get by with just very basic english, but in Genesis you're forced to both read and write english to be successful.

The screen-capture video is something that's been suggested before, and its still a great idea I think. Someone just has to actually do it..:)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 11 Sep 2013 17:12

Didn't Kitriana make some sort of Youtube login tutorial? I tried searching Youtube but didn't find it.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 11 Sep 2013 18:31

Yeah, I've also looked for that video and it's removed. We had links posted on the forum to it.

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 16 Sep 2013 18:01

I posted the Genesis posters onto my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/classeverywhere. I bet the game will see some traffic from that... it seems to be attracting more clicks than any of my other links. Thanks Denis Loubet! Would someone mind hooking this up to the Genesis MUD Facebook page? I don't do the personal Facebook account thing anymore. And if you want to like my Facebook page or posts, I wouldn't mind either! ;-)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 16 Sep 2013 19:02

Loving it, Habiki! Keep up the great work ...

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/