Facebook client

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kiara
Champion

Facebook client

Post by Kiara » 31 Oct 2013 02:40

Just thought I'd mention for those of you who don't know, since there has been no mention of it here...

Genesis now has a Facebook app where you can play! I think it looks great! And I think everyone should help "share" and "like" it. FB is a really good advertisement platform, and that we now have Genesis playable through Facebook is probably something that could be really helpful in promotion!

I hope the admin is considering spending some of the money we have on FB promotion, and not giving it all to Denis?:) Because even with small amounts you can get quite a lot of exposure. And since we really dont need thousands of new players.... I dont think we need to spend all that much to get some new players!

Anyway here's the link:

https://apps.facebook.com/genesis_mud/

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Facebook client

Post by gorboth » 31 Oct 2013 05:39

Hi Kiara,

I'm not familiar with ways to spend money to get things promoted properly on Facebook. To what strategies do you refer?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 31 Oct 2013 09:41

I always thought a Facebook app would be a great promotional tool, so I'm glad this looks like it was easily implemented with the new client. I shared it! Every other Genesis user should do the same if he or she has Facebook.

I tried promoting Genesis from my business Facebook account. You can spend money to advertise an official organization or business page, plus you can also "boost" specific posts with $5, $10, $20 etc and choose to target certain demographics and geographical locations with the advertising. The ads can either appear in people's newsfeeds or in the sidebar advertising. Since the Genesis Facebook page is private, some Genesis admin would need to create an official FB page to do this kind of advertising. When I did advertising like this, I found that lots of people liked the links and pictures, which is basically what you pay for. Basically for $10 USD, you'd probably get 100 people on FB to like the app or the FB page. The cost benefit ratio isn't all that great. People mostly just enjoy clicking the like button on things and don't actually engage with the thing they're liking very much.

But at least when people do like something, sometimes it shows up on their Facebook newsfeed or profile saying something like "Dinosaur Dave likes Genesis MUD", and then other people will see that their friend likes it and may click on it, as well. At least this way, they'll stay on Facebook while they run the app (whether that's good or bad). I think another important thing is to get it on the Facebook apps list when people search for games to play. They do on FB, right? Like if I was looking for Facebook chess, I would search for chess in the search bar.

Suggestion: Change the image associated with the app from the banner (too small) to one of the new promotional poster images.

Lastly, there are coupons you can find online for free Facebook advertising credit. If the GenesisMud.org website made an official FB page like a business or formal organization, you can probably get $50 in free advertising credit to be used to promote the page or specific posts.

Eowul
Wizard

Post by Eowul » 31 Oct 2013 13:51

That's a good idea Habiki. I'll work with Gorboth to see what we can set up.
Caretaker of Arda

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 31 Oct 2013 16:24

gorboth wrote:Hi Kiara,

I'm not familiar with ways to spend money to get things promoted properly on Facebook. To what strategies do you refer?

G.
Habiki was quicker! That's the type of advertising I was referring to as well. Maybe Habiki can help out with this? He seems to know more than me as well, and has experience doing it! But the best thing about FB, and google adwords, and other similar advertising systems these days is that you can choose how much to spend, and it doesnt have to be much. It's probably fairly easy to try for a small amount, and see if it increases traffic to our site, or number of "likes", and/or hopefully number of new players created - during the time the promotion runs. And if it has an effect, no matter how small or big, we can pretty easily calculate how much effect further spending would give us!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 31 Oct 2013 16:55

We have money for this, and I don't mind spending it. I'd like to try an experiment with spending some of our funds once we have the Facebook situation looking and feeling the way we think is best (as was suggested with the picture and group permissions, etc.) Exciting stuff!

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 31 Oct 2013 17:17

Maybe it's important to get that coupon code working at the time you set up the account. I'm not sure you can apply codes to current accounts. Google adwords is also a good idea, and there are coupon codes for that, too. The intro offer isn't bad. You pay $25 dollars and then once that is used up, they will add an additional $75 dollars to the account. So if you did that and the Facebook thing, you'd have $125 dollars of advertising for $25 out of pocket and I suspect you'd get maybe 50 to 100 new players. *fingers crossed*

You can set it to deduct a given amount from the account each day. I recommend doing it slowly, maybe just $1 a day, check the analysis on Facebook, Google Analytics and actual character creation results, and thus determine your core demographics. If you find something that actually works, then you can feel confident dropping real "change" on the promotional campaign.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 31 Oct 2013 17:50

gorboth wrote:We have money for this, and I don't mind spending it. I'd like to try an experiment with spending some of our funds once we have the Facebook situation looking and feeling the way we think is best (as was suggested with the picture and group permissions, etc.) Exciting stuff!

G.
Thats great! And well done with the client and Facebook implementation. Got no complaints at all. And its much better than fMud!

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 01 Nov 2013 18:56

Habiki wrote:
[snip]

But at least when people do like something, sometimes it shows up on their Facebook newsfeed or profile saying something like "Dinosaur Dave likes Genesis MUD", and then other people will see that their friend likes it and may click on it, as well. At least this way, they'll stay on Facebook while they run the app (whether that's good or bad). I think another important thing is to get it on the Facebook apps list when people search for games to play. They do on FB, right? Like if I was looking for Facebook chess, I would search for chess in the search bar.

Suggestion: Change the image associated with the app from the banner (too small) to one of the new promotional poster images.
[snip]
The plan is to get the app listed in the Facebook App Central.
But as you noticed the marketing material connected to the app leaves a bit to be desired.
We have the same problem with the Chrome Web store where we don't have all the required images submitted.
And we don't have any good Genesis logo.

Currently most of the used images are just stuff I've resized to get something up there.
We could really use some help from someone who's better at graphics.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/