Idea for Factions, Fame and Infamy

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

What do you think?

Great Idea - I would like to see this implemented as soon as someone can get to it.
8%
Nice Idea - Its one to consider for the future but not at the top of the list.
50%
Idea needs more work - I think there is a better way.
8%
Not something I would be interested in.
33%

Total votes: 12

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Idea for Factions, Fame and Infamy

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 23 Mar 2010 18:03

Inspired by Alorrana's idea about "Dragon Friends" on another thread I was thinking of how this idea could work or be expanded.
How I pictured it, it feels a little bit like something which might fit in well in Krynn but other domains could maybe make use of it as well.

But in Krynn we already have existing factions such as the Knights, Neidars and the forces of Takhisis.
So the npc's of the factions interact with each other based on existing general rules, such as Elves in Qualinost will auto attack Dragonarmies.
I wonder how difficult it would be to elaborate on this and have the past actions of the individual count most.

So at the beginning you would be a stranger, yet to make a name for yourself.
Aside from the general rules already in place the other factions would start off being neutral to you.
The actions you then commit in Krynn would then determine your future fame/infamy and relationship with the other factions.
If you are not active with the factions things will head back towards neutral pretty quickly (in most cases).
(I am not sure how the prestigious knights club works, maybe it is something similar?)

Possible Perks for Fame (Increasing rate/chance with higher fame) could be.
Discounts in Taverns, Shops and Smithy
Increased high value coins when using shops. (ie 5 gold instead of 60 silver)
Ability to declare a title of your choosing. (When very Famous)
(ie I go to tavern in Sanction and npc says "There he is the one who killed Calof! What do they call you stranger?"
reply "Horned Champion of Darkness!" npc:"Good to meet you, Horned Champion of Darkness!")
Npc's of the faction greet you with your title.
Npc's of the faction might Rally and assist you when in Battle.
Npc's could contact you when they are under attack.

Possible "Perks" for Infamy (Increasing rate/chance with higher infamy) could be.
Penalty to Cost in Taverns, Shops and Smithy
Refusal to do business with you.
Ability to declare a title of your choosing. (When very infamous)
(ie I am fighting guards in Sanction and npc says "Why do you attack us? What do they call you stranger?"
reply "Horned Bringer of Doom!" npc:"You will not get away with this, Horned Bringer of Doom!")
Npc's of the faction condem you using your title.
Npc's of the faction aggressive towards you.
Npc's of the faction might call for help when you arrive.
Npc's of the faction might flee at the sight of you.
Npc's of the faction change their combat tactics (wimpy, move behind, hunt you a few rooms)

List of factions:
Kalaman Area
Vingaard Area
Sanction Area
Neraka Area
Kendermore Area
Flotsam Area
Balifor Area
Palanthas Area
Bloodsea Area
Each Warplain Area
Dragons
Kender
Knights
Neidar
Archers
Pirates
Minotaurs
Dragon Armies
Priests of Takhisis
Centaur npc's
Mithas troll npc's
Icewall thanoi npc's
Icewall Mino npc's

I still don't feel I am explaining it very well and could do better with examples.

Say you are a dragonarmy soldier and from you spend ALL you time in Gont.
Each day you pass through Sanction and the npc's call you Stranger.
After time they start to mock and jeer at you saying you should be out there killing Knights and are a coward.
They throw rotten fruit at you, then eventually stop doing business with you.
You have become infamous as someone not doing much for the faction (this is the exception to the rule of inactivity heading towards neutral).
IE Some guilds have certain expectations of their members to work for their faction and against enemy factions.

Say you are a merc and spend a lot of time grinding Kalaman guards.
They quickly recognise you as an enemy and stop giving you a free passage into the city or through to Calof.
You are becoming very infamous in Kalaman and as a knock on effect infamous in Planathas, VK with the Knights and Neidars to a lesser degree.
At the same time you are becomming more famous in Sanction Neraka Flotsam etc
When you have been grinding them for a long time give you a chance to have a title.
Now when you arrive they all act like Baxter and Call for Help apart from sometimes cowardly ones flee altogether.
When fighting them they start to flee from the room, move behind each other like evil middle earth npcs.

Link Qualinost and Icewall..
U grind Quali a lot Icewall not aggressive to you.
You Kill Fael-thas and Icewall very aggressive to you.
When Icewall very aggressive the minotaurs block you from passing to get to Fael.

Dragons
Have different ways to win their favour.
Not that secret, if they are neutral to you they might tell you.
Like Emerald may like it a little when you bring her Kender corpses.
But to curry a lot of favour you will have to come and help them when they call.
If you have curried a lot of favour with the dragon they may give you a gift when you protect them.
If you have annoyed the dragon a lot they might start hunting you a few rooms or calling for help when you are fighting them.

So if you are a Neidar and have conquered a lot of war plains you may get improved shop prices in Iron Delving and improved ones to a lesser degree
in Kalaman. Maidens in Kalaman run up to you and kiss you. You conquer Solace and you are the hero of the day and get free smithying from Theros and double shop rates until it falls or for 4 hours.
But when the defending DA's see you they improve their combat tactics by fleeing when hurt and getting help.
If you ever find yourself in Flotsam you are auto attacked on sight by the Npc's.

Reading this people may be thinking but I like killing in the easy way? This will make it more difficult that would suck.
I think it may make it a little more difficult but nothing a player could not cope with and it would be more interesting too.
You could look for ways to manipulate it to your benefit.
I also think Krynn could learn a trick or two from Middle Earth here, as they have arguably the most exp giving grinders in the realms but very few tricks to make it "interesting" ie like Ents or BP Trolls Near Minas Morgul. I think people could cope with the combat getting a bit trickier if you are there all the time.
If it puts off on person being able to solo the uber grinder is that a bad thing? (Probably shouldn't make that comment as it will likely distract from the idea)
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Re: Idea for Factions, Fame and Infamy

Post by Recoba » 23 Mar 2010 21:53

All these ideas are great, Tarax!

Needs some work to implement of course, but the coolness and immersion factor is huge and it doesn't need to be immensely complicated either.

EDIT: And these principles could just as easily be applied to any other area that's not in Krynn. Any group of NPCs can be considered a faction.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 24 Mar 2010 00:00

Some of these features have already been implemented, just not to the degree which you are suggesting.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 24 Mar 2010 09:40

Tarax the Terrible wrote:
Possible "Perks" for Infamy (Increasing rate/chance with higher infamy) could be.
Penalty to Cost in Taverns, Shops and Smithy
Refusal to do business with you.
Ability to declare a title of your choosing. (When very infamous)
(ie I am fighting guards in Sanction and npc says "Why do you attack us? What do they call you stranger?"
reply "Horned Bringer of Doom!" npc:"You will not get away with this, Horned Bringer of Doom!")
Npc's of the faction condem you using your title.
Npc's of the faction aggressive towards you.
Npc's of the faction might call for help when you arrive.
Npc's of the faction might flee at the sight of you.
Npc's of the faction change their combat tactics (wimpy, move behind, hunt you a few rooms)
So pretty much there are no perks. lol

-b

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 24 Mar 2010 13:16

Yes the work involved would be a problem. Which is why voted nice idea but maybe not top of the list myself.

Bromen, Yes the perks of infamy might be a dubious blessing. (unless you can think of a few good ones) :)
But you should also be gathering fame in another opposing faction.
Plus if you are a big badass Kalaman guards might offer little challenge.
But if you are infamous the more challenging combat could be more rewarding, either excitement wise, quantity of guard wise or small bonus to exp.
That is sort of like the scalable npc size deal we have in Rohan and saw done on a bigger scale (and a bit controversially) in Terel.

You are right Mers, we do have a lot of this sort of thing already, but on the most part the npc's do not have much memory.
And it is sometimes based on General rules instead of individual actions.

I would say that one of the most advanced Factions currently is Gelan and Calia.
The guild has an enemy system which remembers you and animates the guild guardian if you try to pass.
If you attack the town Gamalus will remember you for a while and bar you entry when you come back.
If you attack the town you will loose graduate status in the cadets.
If you kill Xorfin he will haunt you.
All that is based on your actions not general rules.

I was thinking more about Dragons.
Perhaps the best way to curry favour with them would be to bring them gems, magical weapons and armours.
Since we know that dragons love those. (There is already a dragon in the realms more "friendly" if you bring it gems)
That stuff could go into its horde and the next to kill could loot it.
I am not suggesting you bring 10 green steel longsword to Emerald and she give you the black gem ring.
Dragons would be jealous and not give away much loot lightly, maybe if you saved her life and killed the attacker, but small chance.
The only guaranteed way to get the ring etc. would be killing the dragon.
But when you give presents and earn favour they may cast a few buff spells on you, such as stoneskin, poison immuntiy, dragon sight etc.
It would make Dragons a bigger part of the world for those who can't or choose not to slay them.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/