Death lost the bet!

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Death lost the bet!

Post by gorboth » 20 Nov 2013 04:16

Manglor wrote:I've said before, I'd love to have a global announcement similar to the new wizard one "You suddenly realize that Manglor has slain Windemere." or something. Also, the idea of "weakened state" or "resurrection sickness" as we know it in WoW is a great idea that could work exceptionally well in Genesis. Your stats/damage/spellpower is reduced by 15% (or more) for the next 5 hours played or something. But no death penalty per se. This could easily apply for PVE and PVP alike.
The global shouts about death aren't consistent with Genesis philosophies about immersion, so we won't be going that route. However, the penalty that you are reduced in power for a time following being killed has some interesting potentials. What I like about it would really only begin to make sense if the culture were to shift to the point where pvp becomes a thing of much larger scale and ferocity than it is now. I'm imagining a situation where two sides are warring over a given place or trying to protect some asset, and then it can make a big difference to creating an advantage for your team if you can kill members of the other side, making them weaker fighters when they return to the fight 10 minutes later.

Interesting!
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 20 Nov 2013 07:21

Manglor wrote:Attacked everyone I saw.
Being on a team with Widow and attacking lone, single and much smaller guys out of the blue
is just a bother. Nothing more. It brings nothing. <yawn> Only thing you could get is title Manglor the Pest.

Try some talking, gestures - provoke the fight somehow. First step to make it anything more than a bother.
Then leave teammates at home. Ganging big guys on one smaller guy?

Then we could have some fun. Even though a legend taking on a titan is not very fair but then i can try to get some firends to help me out or try to hurt you at least some on my own.

Running around in teams and attacking (only) smaller guys at random? Bleh.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Nov 2013 09:17

gorboth wrote:I'm imagining a situation where two sides are warring over a given place or trying to protect some asset, and then it can make a big difference to creating an advantage for your team if you can kill members of the other side, making them weaker fighters when they return to the fight 10 minutes later.

Interesting!
G.
why would anyone do such a thing is beyond me ...
lost your gear (or did you team mates loot your corpse quicker than your enemies?), lost the usual effectiveness and still return to the battle? what would be the value added from such a participant, who already died? I'm guessing PvP evaluation as mortal and wizard are two different things ...
Manglor wrote:I didn't chase anyone, just wanted to have some fun and I hope Jhael, Marduk, Nagash, Syrk, etc. did too. Nothing personal :)
syrk wrote:
Being on a team with Widow and attacking lone, single and much smaller guys out of the blue
is just a bother. Nothing more. It brings nothing. <yawn> Only thing you could get is title Manglor the Pest.

Try some talking, gestures - provoke the fight somehow. First step to make it anything more than a bother.
Then leave teammates at home. Ganging big guys on one smaller guy?

Then we could have some fun. Even though a legend taking on a titan is not very fair but then i can try to get some firends to help me out or try to hurt you at least some on my own.

guess you have your answer that you really could have seen comming

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 20 Nov 2013 10:28

Dunno, Laurel. I guess I can imagine some players being interested in concepts such as glory, honor, teamwork, strategy, self-sacrifice, bragging rights, thrill of victory, etc?

I guess maybe it's all down to cutting into someone's optimized grinding potential for a few hours. If so ... well ... I guess I hope that isn't the only thing we can hope for in the future.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Nov 2013 11:30

gorboth wrote:I guess I can imagine some players being interested in concepts such as glory, honor, teamwork, strategy, self-sacrifice, bragging rights, thrill of victory, etc?
or you can work with what you already have, instead of imaginary players? ;p

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 20 Nov 2013 12:05

gorboth wrote:Dunno, Laurel. I guess I can imagine some players being interested in concepts such as glory, honor, teamwork, strategy, self-sacrifice, bragging rights, thrill of victory, etc?

G.

Pass the weed will ya? :P

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 20 Nov 2013 12:52

syrk wrote:
fun. Even though a legend taking on a titan is not very fair but then i can try to get some firends to help me out or try to hurt you at least some on my own.
Do you honestly think I expected no retaliation? Isn't that kind of the point? Just trying to stir up some excitement. I truly anticipated (based on your then running to Yanus) that I'd be jumped. Disappointing!

With respect to Widow...kind of hard to say no to her when she's sitting next to you ;) But I'll see what I can do.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 20 Nov 2013 19:27

Laurel wrote:
gorboth wrote:I guess I can imagine some players being interested in concepts such as glory, honor, teamwork, strategy, self-sacrifice, bragging rights, thrill of victory, etc?
or you can work with what you already have, instead of imaginary players? ;p
Or, as has been suggested, we can try to shift the culture to something that doesn't actually suck? *tease*

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Nov 2013 23:08

So you're saying Sun Tzu sucked? I don't share your point of view on that.
Or do you mean MM approach to PvP sucks? The one that makes them prefer killing over fighting.

If you like fighting so much, why have you chosen to recode killers (MM) before sustain-fighters (Rangers)? It's not like Rangers RP would suddenly shift towards agression but still ...
Trying to see some strategy here ... so far I see only some emotion/feelings-driven decisioning process and damage control activities.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 20 Nov 2013 23:24

Hrmmm... what a strange world Genesis has become.... I find myself agreeing with Laurel more and more.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/