Critical success while forging.

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: Critical success while forging.

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 24 Mar 2010 18:08

Kitriana wrote:Petros ---

Do you think perhaps you could give up some idea as to the direction of this new system
and perhaps we could help with more ideas?
The "ready before xmas" factor sort of stopped me from asking the same thing as I don't want to put pressure on anyone.
But I am also very curious and looking forward to hearing more. :D
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 24 Mar 2010 18:16

Well, I don't want to speak about it too much, because it's not really my idea nor am I the main driver behind the project. But the basic idea is that we want a real economy which involves multiple people from multiple crafts working together to achieve something great.

So it won't be just smiths who will make great weapons. A smith may need an alchemist to treat materials before or after working on it. The alchemist may need herbalists to bring them herbs to use in their treatment. Maybe a mariner is needed to navigate the ships to get to the rare elements needed for crafting. But in essence, by having multiple crafts working together, we want to bring about equipment or items in the realms that will be on par or maybe even surpass what you can get from equipment gathering through combat.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 24 Mar 2010 18:27

Sweet. Reminds me of what Tilorop had planned with rune crafting and smithying. I loved that idea. This sounds to take it further :)
I hope the new ideas get into the realms soon will work as intended - getting groups of players interacting and trading.

Would be sweet if players transporting components had to do so in caravans (they can't be handled directly).
Equals new warfare system :D
Caravan guards and Caravan raiders.
heh.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 25 Mar 2010 00:37

petros wrote:Well, I don't want to speak about it too much, because it's not really my idea nor am I the main driver behind the project. But the basic idea is that we want a real economy which involves multiple people from multiple crafts working together to achieve something great.

So it won't be just smiths who will make great weapons. A smith may need an alchemist to treat materials before or after working on it. The alchemist may need herbalists to bring them herbs to use in their treatment. Maybe a mariner is needed to navigate the ships to get to the rare elements needed for crafting. But in essence, by having multiple crafts working together, we want to bring about equipment or items in the realms that will be on par or maybe even surpass what you can get from equipment gathering through combat.
I'm loving being a mercenary right now. We won't need any help :)
Not too keen on it being something more powerful than what can be attained than what's out in the realms. There's experience and history behind certain items and for a few of us to get together and make an I-Win item is a bit imba. It might do well for guild relations tho, but to make a craft item the best in the game is a bit much in my opinion.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 25 Mar 2010 06:00

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Rhynox says that some are better than other already so I guess that is correct.
I always felt that as a smith you should get messages feedback when finished.
Tarax the Terrible wrote:Also Mythical smith doesn't relate to smithying skills or work done, just how much you have grinded since joining.
So currently you can become a mythical Smith without making a single item in the forge.
That is why I think there should be no such indicator. Someone who has forged (and I mean, inspecting the items and not just mass forging through a robot) thousands of items will know when an item is better than the previous ones. I immediately know if the item I just finished is good or not regardless of what lousy sminspect tells me.

Finwe and Palmer asked me whether titles or the necklace should be based in experience (while the other would be based on items forged). I said many who were well-known (the highest attained title back then) would suddenly find themselves as apprentice smith would make no sense, so I suggested necklace. So, they changed it (although the necklace would move with experience too). The smith titles were incredibly hard to improve though (Eldior had the highest one, Professional, and he was like 5 titles below the Mythical one), so they redid the titles. I was Well-known, same as Lestaroth and Goldman, Eldior, Gothmog and Etanukar were Professional, and on February 2004 (if I recall correctly) I suddenly found myself as Mythical, just as Gothmog, while Etanukar, Lestaroth and Goldman booted as Legendary (from what I remember). Never caught up with Eldior.

I used to say 100,000 forged items to reach the mithril necklace was a nice mark (just like the 100,000 skulls for ogres), but it is too far fetched nowadays. From what I know, only Zorath and I broke that mark (I stopped counting after 115k).

I remember there were debug messages that would show you how many you have forged whenever you finished forging something (like "You have finished forging a longsword. (#1300)"). Several were able to check all their items before it was fixed. A pity I was away when that happened, wanted to die :P
Tarax the Terrible wrote: You feel this is not your best work.
You are relatively happy with how this came out.
This could be considered your best work to date.
etc.
With Palmer (or Finwe, can't really remember... they both picked stuff from the smiths and worked at the same time) we compromised something, that you would be able to give the item to Berim to get it appraised if you wanted to.
Tarax the Terrible wrote: That you can forge the items relatively quickly means if currently smith armours were some of the best quality one smith could supply all of the game quite easily in a day.

If you are going to start being able to make better quality it should go much slower.
Actually this is a pretty good idea. Being able to choose whether you want a quick item or a better one. Since Petros loves to add options, maybe a smoptions speed (fast/moderate/slow), with moderate being the current speed (50 seconds for iron, plus 10 seconds for leather and another 10 for wood). I wouldn't mind having to spend five minutes forging if the resulting item had a chance of actually being usable nowadays.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 25 Mar 2010 06:07

petros wrote:So it won't be just smiths who will make great weapons. A smith may need an alchemist to treat materials before or after working on it.
The original necromancers were supposed to inscribe runes on forged items only, adding magical properties. The idea was neat but Tilorop never managed to finish it, so it cut it down to allow the necros to be inserted into the game.

Hopefully the economy system won't be too complex for the current install base (needing a smith and leatherworker (weapon), a gardener (herbs), an alchemist (potion), a miner (gems), a gem worker (inserting them into the weapon), a scribe (paper) and a magician (create the scroll with the runes) and then having to find someone with high spellcasting to cast it would be pretty silly (especially if some professions, by themselves, would not be useful at all).

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 25 Mar 2010 08:00

Rhynox wrote:Hopefully the economy system won't be too complex for the current install base (needing a smith and leatherworker (weapon), a gardener (herbs), an alchemist (potion), a miner (gems), a gem worker (inserting them into the weapon), a scribe (paper) and a magician (create the scroll with the runes) and then having to find someone with high spellcasting to cast it would be pretty silly (especially if some professions, by themselves, would not be useful at all).
How about a janitor to clean up after the alchemist? I can see being a janitor in Genesis would be a pretty good job. You can clean up after those stomping ogres who leave lots of headless corpses everywhere, along with all the equipment.

On a more serious note, it'd be silly to be so ambitious as to create that many crafts. We obviously want there to be a personal reason to be in a craft and then build in the joint stuff. Sort of like the dinobot transformers!

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 25 Mar 2010 09:48

dinobot transformers!
Talk about an I_Win button for the Autobots.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 25 Mar 2010 13:35

I always liked Metroplex and Omega Supreme, they were huge and not just union of bots. Never understood how Cosmo grew to be able to carry lots of bots inside him.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 25 Mar 2010 14:18

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/