Best Boss Fights

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mersereau
Champion

Re: Best Boss Fights

Post by Mersereau » 25 Mar 2010 14:11

I'd seen a log of Lord Soth before he was removed, seemed fun except that whole instant death thing.

I can't confirm this, but I heard there used -it may or may not be still there- to be something in Cirith Ungol but it stunned a lot and didn't have much treasure anyway. It's probably protected so why bother anyway.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 25 Mar 2010 15:14

amberlee wrote:Sure it is.
Done it plenty times with Amber.
Didnt think it was possible to actually fall down before Calantha almost killed herself trying ;p
I did it before indeed, but lately (last checked on Hektor's day) it does not seem possible.
Maybe mining boots would help.
Wanna try it? :mrgreen:

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 25 Mar 2010 18:28

I just repeated up until climbed out, I think it took around 40 or 50 tries with the boots. Didn't notice getting hurt, even falling from the very top, and I was already VH from trying to fight him.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 25 Mar 2010 18:42

Like Rhynox's list but don't buy the whole Neidar suck PR.
Anyone soloing or even tanking those dudes is in a badass guild combo, end of story. Enough with the point scoring tho.

Rhynox left Ariakas off his list.
Forcefield to resist damage, lots of health poisons, blocking guards, raising the dead guards again, its a very cool idea but somehow in the end it is something of a let down. No uber gear, never really feared for life once realised the poisons where not too nasty and if you have to first kill the DA guards to get to him that is more challenging. I killed him once with a friend and the DA guards killed the friend when we were leaving. :shock:

He also left off Kitriana and Skie but I have no experience there.
Likwise with Elrond..
No one mentioned Oliphaunts, which are surely badass with breaking bones but since they are too stupid and just stand there watching their haradrims die it makes them totally irrelevant!
Some of which kinda sucks, but again enough with the other points. Sorry.

I like the quote from Mithros on Eden forum (I think) "Combat should be like a game of chess."

A boss battle, that gaming favourite, how many console games have you been owned by the boss until you learn the tactics. Eg stand in the bottom left corner of screen to escape his wave of flame, then focus on taking out the glowing orbs with your ranged weapon and finally go for the head. heh. Was playing God of War II on PS2 again this week actually, good sh1t - boss battles a plenty. Buying the first one of ebay to give it a go as well.

Genesis is a little lacking in terms of this tactical fighting for many battles. We also by now know what we are doing with these old favourites and in many cases are able to easily manipulate them to our ends. Or know tricks to negate some of the dangers.

So for example Ashburz, he is a challenging battle, can have great gear and is more risky than many encounters.
He will switch between his attackers at random but can be manipulated by moving rooms till he attacks your tank again.
His stun makes it more tactical, most people don't go there alone.
His heal is also a factor to be worried about.
The area is also dangerous because he can block your escape but there are other ways out.
However the favourite other way also has a cool down timer so there is plenty to think about when facing him.
He is a good challenge. I am not saying make him more deadly, just think what elements are there that make it enjoyable.
He is not never escape! But still hard to escape.
Being hunted gets the blood pumping.
His unpredictable nature makes it more challenging.
His equipment and weapons power can make it worthwhile but also could have things go wrong if he unexpectedly break your armour.

I think however that Mergula is our current ultimate boss battle experience.
His damage can be insane, especially if you leave and return.
The fact he hurts all team members _a lot_ gives it a real edge. Everyone has to be on their toes.
The equipment appeals to many and is somewhat guaranteed ie at least he will have a great cloak.
If its a challenge good to have a reward, not like Ashie who is often killed for junk.
He has guards which arrive and can swing the fight his way. It also makes things more tactically challenging.
He is one where the team will always discuss who to do what before fighting him if anyone not down with the plan already.
The guards also hunt giving it an edge of danger.
Attackers can be stunned which leaves you wondering stay or flee.

I think the most challenging boss battle is the Balrog.
Just because for many the Balrog is considered the benchmark of badassness. So a rumour like Tarlok soloed the Balrog is a real talking point compared to any/every other boss.

One other point the "you do not have the dis to attack" annoyance it is kinda screwing up group involvement in boss battles like Yeti and Balrog. Why do we never see "TitanplayerA is looking especially brave!" like we do for npcs? Also the effective ways to buff your dis that exist in the game are kind of unbalanced towards sword users IMO. But thats one or two other topics probably.

So we are still not at the console boss stage of complexity.
With ranged combat and distance between combatants in a room not much of a factor its all toe to toe stuff. That sort of limits things for starters.
But we can still have situations like where we must have one person blocking/chasing and hunting/slaying the guy who is trying to run for help while two are facing the boss trying to distract him from the maimed ally who temporarily is taking double damage. Being able to taunt him will switch the boss to you but with boosted damage, need to think about it before you go being a hero. If you get him hurt he goes mental and starts throwing fireballs which can be negated if the person he is targeting jumps under the water in the pond, (better hope that they killed the octopus earlier in the fight) etc etc. All made the more urgent by the mood music of the screaming maiden being tortured by Boss Nasty who you have to be quick enough to rescue or boss guts her and all suffer morale penalty.

The key for me would be a team required, everyone needing to be alert, everyone needing to know what the plan is and do their part but not being able to plan for every eventuality and having to be able to adapt to surprises.

So great work to the wizzies who come up with these challenges for us, I do really love the existing bosses (this isn't console world and hack and slash is fun too) we mortals always look forward to more. So double thanks for not just killing us all and making it fun!

Que God of War music...
DEEEEEEEENNNNNNNN DUM DEEEEEEEEEEENNNN DUM
See that guy strolling across and the phrase "Inexorable" springs to mind.
Last edited by Tarax the Terrible on 25 Mar 2010 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 25 Mar 2010 18:46

Kitiara and Skie not so difficult and Mersereau brought up a great ponit in this or another thread that the knights are able to do her alone so why share the wealth of the EQ with anyone else.

Elrond as has been pointed out on other forums is unattackable nowadays and thus unkillable. Oliphaunts used to be worth killing when they had 100+ platinum coins in their chests but it was discovered with low theiving abilities you could steal them and then pick the lock and grab them, so the chests were made worthless instead of just making them unstealable.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 25 Mar 2010 18:53

I believe your are incorrect about Elrond being unattackable.
Just that most of his enemies can't get to him readily.
He will probably always be a goodies favourite on a wizday type scenario.

Only people I ever seen killing Oliphaunts were SS/Militia. :D
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 25 Mar 2010 19:02

The only way people used to be able to attack Elrond was as minstrels or one time a mage using one of their abilities. Both of these have been fixed.

Elrond according to the wizards was not coded to be killed and due to the coders wishes that he remain that way, it was refused to be changed.

If you want to try to find a way by all means feel free to but we exhausted this discussion on the other board.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 25 Mar 2010 19:32

There is a loophole to kill Elrond, but don't know which one. I used his shield recently. And yes, forgot Ariakas, the battle wasn't that hard, the guards before him are small but really powerful. I am guessing with some calians on your back he should be pretty easy.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 25 Mar 2010 19:34

He's just similar to Ashburz with an extremely annoying full regen heal.

Found out one time using ingots on his ogres are bad. If you use them new ogres rush in instead of the undead ones and you just keep bringing wave after wave on you.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 25 Mar 2010 19:40

Ilrahil wrote:He's just similar to Ashburz with an extremely annoying full regen heal.

Found out one time using ingots on his ogres are bad. If you use them new ogres rush in instead of the undead ones and you just keep bringing wave after wave on you.

Code: Select all

ha
You are physically somewhat hurt and mentally in full vigour.
Tarax is feeling rather hurt.
Ariakas is feeling very well.
>
You attack Ariakas.
Ariakas whispers: Fool! You shall die a horrible death for your insolence!
Ariakas shouts: Guards! To me!
Five elite ogre guards rush into the audience chamber!
The fat elite male ogre looks at you as if ready to attack, though you see fear
in his eyes.
The giant elite male ogre looks at you as if ready to attack, though you see
fear in his eyes.
The ugly elite male ogre looks at you as if ready to attack, though you see
fear in his eyes.
The bony elite male ogre looks at you as if ready to attack, though you see
fear in his eyes.
The giant elite male ogre looks at you as if ready to attack, though you see
fear in his eyes.
With a roar, you charge past Ariakas, missing him with your dragon turtle
shell.
chop
Ariakas points at you and mutters a vile curse of pure malevolence. You are
poisoned!
You have been poisoned!
slam
You prepare to crush your foe.
>
Patience! You are not ready to slam your opponent yet!
>
You swing the black mace with all your might through open air.
ha
You are physically somewhat hurt and mentally in full vigour.
The giant elite male ogre is feeling very well.
The giant elite male ogre is feeling very well.
The bony elite male ogre is feeling very well.
The ugly elite male ogre is feeling very well.
The fat elite male ogre is feeling very well.
Tarax is feeling rather hurt.
Ariakas is feeling very well.

chop
> Ariakas lightly bruises your body with his old heavy mace.

slam
You are already preparing to crush your foe!
> Tarax throws his head back and cackles with glee!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/