Roleplaying

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Roleplaying

Post by gorboth » 06 Dec 2013 22:07

Gadez wrote:Too late to reverse now, and at this point in time it might actually be the best strategy, but I felt that Gorboth et al. took a wrong turn when they tried, at all cost, to accommodate individuals who threatened to leave the game for losing their stats. More often than not, the contribution of these individuals to the magic of the game was minimal, at best a +1 in the who list.
No argument from me on much of what I think you are saying here. However, even excellent roleplayers sometimes threaten to leave the game when their stats are compromised to the point of despair. We chose a direction and we've traveled to where we are now. The game has many active players, and many of them do work primarily for stats. However, if this were all we were left with I would have departed long ago. The magic of roleplay does remain, and I suspect it can be fostered.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 06 Dec 2013 23:22

In my opinion.
Anyone who threaten to leave because of a loss of stats are welcome to leave.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Gadez
Beginner

Post by Gadez » 07 Dec 2013 02:36

We've all thrown more than our fair share of tantrums (my own were both many and gross), and I don't envy G. for having had to deal with them. More than a blame game, however, we are talking directions here. What type of game do you/we really want, and what are you/we prepared to do to reach that state of play? I might be mistaken, but it seems to me from G.'s recent notes here, that these entirely fundamental questions are currently being revived, asked anew, possibly with a new openness for change?

Now, removing the death penalty certainly suggests that you are ready to experiment, but to my mind you are - again - moving in a direction which does very little to promote let alone foster role-playing. This has been an almost decade long inconsistency on behalf of those who call the shots: role-playing is often described as the edge of Genesis, as the ideal to which we all (should) aspire, yet technical changes and strategic decisions often pull in the opposite direction. Conflict is another of those key words which supposedly makes the game unique, or at least captures its essence, but even though the player community has asked - for years - to have more hard coded conflict mechanisms in place, very little has been done to that effect. Instead, you tackle balance! Everybody wants balance! But balance won't save the game. In a world bereft of purpose, and lately even of the choice of the ultimate sacrifice, what joy is there in knowing that the other pawns are as powerless, err… powerful was what I meant (of course) as you are?

Oh, and cool, Laurel!

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 08 Dec 2013 09:37

Funny. I actually would play it oneday if it survives.
I imagine power play in this world... Hehe

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 08 Dec 2013 10:54

Wouldn't it be good to find some way to give guilds a "reputation" that they need to take care of? They defend their reputation by doing things they are supposed to and act as they are supposed to. If the members of a guild spend more times grinding orcs in Faerun or trolls in Terel then defending their borders, conquering enemy territory, looking for the one ring or trying to free Ithilien that guild would loose reputation and that would lower slightly their specials and overall effectiveness but if they do spend a lot of active time within their borders or battle their enemies they would improve their effectiveness. So if knights would spend a lot of time batteling draconians and DA troops their overall reputation would increase and so would their effectiveness, you can call it good guild moral. And if they kept a lot of the areas conquered and they hold them their reputation or moral would increase even more. This would mean that some guilds have it easier to loose reputation but also to gain it while others with less of a theme based duty have it harder to loose it but also to gain it. DAs would of course gain moral/reputation if they would be out killing knights as well. And if a guild is in a official war with another guild and are activly hunting the members and NPCs of that other guild win-or-loose they gain reputation. More if they win of course. But if they are in a state of war without any kind of activity their reputation would very slowly lower since they are not doing anything about it.
And the reputation would also raise/lower faster more active members the guild has. If there are 10 active members and none of them care about their theme based duties the reputation would lower very fast.
And some guilds that don't have a themebased duty don't loose any nor gain any.

Some ideas for they guilds.

Glads gain by combat in the arena. win or loose they gain reputation. If two glads fight they gain some if one glad and one from another guild do it and the glad wins the reputation gained is more and even if the glad looses they still gain some.
Calias would gain reputation for battles with Kroughs, defending the palace and Gelan against invading forces and of course for war status.
SCoP would gain on fighting undeads, bigger undeads more reputation and you could classify the undeads so those that can create more undeads, liches, vampires and Nazguls would raise it more. And on war status
Rangers would gain on being in battle in Ithilien and Gondor. They would gain more if fighting MM npcs. And of course war status.
DAs gain reputation against knights and neidar NPCs and for conquering and holding areas and war status.
Knights gain on DA troops/draconians and conquering and holding areas and war status.
PoT would gain reputation by being a assisting force with DAs in conquering and also in battle with knights/neidar NPC and also war status.
MM is a bit trickier, they would gain of defending Ithilien from invading forces in general and slaughtering Gondorian guards and soldiers. It is hard to hardcode the search for the one ring. And on war status.
AA would gain on Gondorian guards, rangers, hobbits/elves/dwarves/humans(not haradrims) from ME and war status.
SU would gain reputation for the Hunt but I don't have enough knowledge about their theme based story/duties to come up with some other way for them to gain reputation. Maybe based on time in the bath? :)
Kenders would be one of those guilds that don't gain nor loose any reputation. They have no real theme based duty more then roam the lands in general and it is not really a guild that would go to war either.
Mercs dont win nor loose either. No war status.
DO I don't really know if they should gain or loose any reputation either or how.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 09 Dec 2013 20:20

arcon wrote:PoT would gain reputation by being a assisting force with DAs in conquering and also in battle with knights/neidar NPC and also war status.
You know of course that helping DAs in conquering, battling KoS and NC etc. aren't even anywhere near the top priorities for PoT? Those are things they do in their free time :)
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 09 Dec 2013 20:28

Zhar wrote:
arcon wrote:PoT would gain reputation by being a assisting force with DAs in conquering and also in battle with knights/neidar NPC and also war status.
You know of course that helping DAs in conquering, battling KoS and NC etc. aren't even anywhere near the top priorities for PoT? Those are things they do in their free time :)
Yeah, their main responsibilities involve things like making sure the Temple is clean and hiding from anyone who might accidentally greet them with enough force to kill them. :mrgreen:

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 09 Dec 2013 20:55

Jhael wrote:
Zhar wrote:
Yeah, their main responsibilities involve things like making sure the Temple is clean and hiding from anyone who might accidentally greet them with enough force to kill them. :mrgreen:

Well thats not really the theme tbh, there are other factors for that :P

Karpath
Adventurer

Post by Karpath » 09 Dec 2013 20:57

Jhael wrote:
Zhar wrote:
Right. K never meets anyone in Neraka cept Pasha and if not him then just some Troll remains so perhaps people are hiding before they accidentally greet him.

Anyway Zhar is right.
It is the fluttering of moths to the flame that amuses me.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/