New NPC in Sparkle

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mumon
Wanderer

New NPC in Sparkle

Post by Mumon » 04 Dec 2013 09:38

I have an idea for a new wizard NPC (Mentalist?) in Sparkle who specializes in memories.

His services would include tapping your mind for memories of episodes and capturing them in memory stones.

A memory stone can then be passed around to other characters who can touch it to their forehead re-experience your memory.

I.e. an in-character way to share logs...

/M

Habiki
Adept

Re: New NPC in Sparkle

Post by Habiki » 04 Dec 2013 13:41

That's a really fun and novel idea!

From what I've heard from Wizes here and there, it seems like only special events like PvP, newbie chat and free emotes are automatically logged at this time. If every action of every character was being logged for say, the last 30 minutes, I imagine that would take a lot of system resources (???).

Mumon
Wanderer

Post by Mumon » 04 Dec 2013 16:10

Habiki wrote:That's a really fun and novel idea!

From what I've heard from Wizes here and there, it seems like only special events like PvP, newbie chat and free emotes are automatically logged at this time. If every action of every character was being logged for say, the last 30 minutes, I imagine that would take a lot of system resources (???).
Since people already trust logs that are mailed in game or posted on boards it could be implemented by allowing the players themselves to paste their logs into an editor much like when writing a note. This wouldn't place more strain on the system than message boards or a mail boxes.

The differences is that the memory stone would provide an in-game, in-character rationale for the text to be in first person perspective of the character who experienced the event.

For instance instead of the MM having requiring their members to mail logs of p-fights, they could require them to provide a memory stone of any p-fight.

/M
Last edited by Mumon on 04 Dec 2013 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 04 Dec 2013 16:19

mumon wrote:
Habiki wrote:That's a really fun and novel idea!

Since people already trust logs that are mailed in game or posted on boards it could be implemented by allowing the players themselves to paste their logs into an editor much like when writing a note. This wouldn't place more strain on the system than message boards or a mail boxes.

The differences is that the memory stone would provide an in-game, in-character rationale for the text to be in first person perspective of the character who experienced the event.

For instance instead of the MM having requiring their members to mail logs of p-fights, they could require them to provide a memory stone of any p-fight.

/M

There's thinking outside the box! I actually really like this idea. It's a great way to make it make a little more sense. It would be even better if the log was recounted on a bit of a timer (i.e. it's isn't completely spammed all at once.) It would make it so that as you were using the memory stone, it would recount it to you in almost a real-time like fashion, and make it even more like you were able to "live the memory" via this stone.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 04 Dec 2013 17:41

Oh, so people could manually input the data themselves. Yeah, that makes sense and would be very feasible, though a lot less trustworthy. It would be ideal if the experience was played back to the viewer in real time, like Amorana suggests. ;-)

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 04 Dec 2013 17:53

What a great idea! I don't have knowledge of the coding side, but I would expect the proposal as Mumon presents it would have nominal impact and use a lot of existing machinery. That being said, the 'automatic' idea is very compelling.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 04 Dec 2013 18:10

An interesting idea, indeed. The idea of a "real time" playback would only be possible if the stone was allowed a "real time" recording of the event. If we want to allow players to "write" to a stone the way they might post a log on a board, no real-time playback would be possible.

I think the real-time playback is by far the cooler implementation for a few reasons. Firstly, it would allow people to experience the event from the perspective of the person who recorded it - a very powerful and palpable thing! Secondly, it would mean that the logs could not be altered to present false-truths, as they would be part of the hard-code of the game and thus far more reliable as a testimony to a given event.

The drawback is that you would be likely to miss the beginning of the event, because you might hit "record" just after you are attacked, or whatnot (though, I suppose the right triggers could pretty much have the thing start directly after the attack takes place.)

This could be a very interesting and powerful tool, and I think it is definitely possible to code. Perhaps such a thing as this could be another potential perk-power for membership in something like an Actor's Club? :-)

I'll look into the idea of the ability, at least!
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 04 Dec 2013 18:31

I like it too. Especially with real time playback!

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 04 Dec 2013 18:47

gorboth wrote:An interesting idea, indeed. The idea of a "real time" playback would only be possible if the stone was allowed a "real time" recording of the event. If we want to allow players to "write" to a stone the way they might post a log on a board, no real-time playback would be possible.

I think the real-time playback is by far the cooler implementation for a few reasons. Firstly, it would allow people to experience the event from the perspective of the person who recorded it - a very powerful and palpable thing! Secondly, it would mean that the logs could not be altered to present false-truths, as they would be part of the hard-code of the game and thus far more reliable as a testimony to a given event.

The drawback is that you would be likely to miss the beginning of the event, because you might hit "record" just after you are attacked, or whatnot (though, I suppose the right triggers could pretty much have the thing start directly after the attack takes place.)

This could be a very interesting and powerful tool, and I think it is definitely possible to code. Perhaps such a thing as this could be another potential perk-power for membership in something like an Actor's Club? :-)

I'll look into the idea of the ability, at least!
G.
I like this idea.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 17 Dec 2013 02:57

you could also add purchasable journals that could be given names and descriptions (like those syberus herb jars) written in, traded with others,
maybe have:
--- jlog record/stop
--- jlog combat that logs your last combat,
--- jlog Dialog ## logs last ## lines of PC speach
--- jlog Mail/post ## copys a mail into journal
as well as having a standard editor that allows a more story telling approach.

possibly have the ability to "submit" or "retrieve" a journal to and from a guild and or sparkle library removing or returning journal from or to your inventory. and allowing others to "borrow" the journal like any other book.

this IMHO would be a more ic feeling way to save/share a person's memories

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/