Second, deadly, encounter with Morrison

A picture is worth a thousand words. And a log of thousands of words is worthy of being shared. Share your stories and experiences here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Celephias
Expert

Re: Second, deadly, encounter with Morrison

Post by Celephias » 28 Nov 2013 01:36

Kiara wrote:
Celephias wrote:
Draugor wrote:Well posting loggs is also a way to save time, since if you say or describe something in or out of RP there is always someone, usually from one of the so called "elite guilds" that bitch about there not beeing a logg :P So might aswell post it straight away and be done with it
We require a log of all pfights because we know that pissing and moaning usually follows and we will need to defend ourselves in some way. We also want to know if the mage was in the wrong somehow. Obviously, in char, we don't care who complains, but as players we have to cover our bases. We don't post them. Anywhere.
But is _posting_ a log worse RP than sharing them within the guild? I mean you still break your RP just as much? Even though you do it only with your guild friends. I obviously posted the logs for the very same reasons. To be able to defend my claims about the abilities I had found out. Sure I could have described them, but people would just ask me for logs anyway. Thats how it works. The only difference is I posted logs for all to see, but from an RP perspective I dont think its any better to just do it infront of a few people. Its still breaking character obviously.

Cant we just accept that logs are part of the game, and needed to provide records of events, as proof. Because thats what they are. I try to keep my own style of play RP-ish, but if I have to send a log, well then thats out of character. Just as it is when you do it. Or anyone else.

Logs ARE part of the game. They will always be. If we want more "immersion" I think perhaps it needs to be done by code. Like some magical device that can record memories or whatever. Well I dont know, but there's always ways to do stuff like that if you really want more immersion. Because we wont get past logs. We need them. Thats how it is.
I would prefer no logs, but I know that is naive at best. Behind ever character is a player who is most likely curious, wants to know the facts and in many cases is at least curious about mechanics. I know I am.

I made the point I did because Draugor suggested a bit of hypocrisy in MM requiring logs (or I read too much into his post). In any event, the only reason we want the logs is because of all of the out of game discussions that will ensue from a player fight.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 28 Nov 2013 04:04

Celephias: Well I think our reasons for logs are pretty similar then. I knew I was gonna be asked for logs as proof of the stuff I set out to find out about. (Mage spells and resistances effects against them). So I figured why not just show people the logs from the start.

But considering the response so far, I'll try the "story"-post next time. See what happens. I will however share logs with people who want to. Because honestly, if you want to combat certain abilities, which obviously is my goal, then a log is worth ten times any story, since seeing the whole event exactly as it happened is worth a lot. And getting input from more than one person on how to counter things seen is the log is valuable. I am quite sure thats exactly how the majority of guilds use logs. To get information about enemies, to prove things really happened as someone claims, and so on.

But I'll buy your argument about it breaking immersion on an in-game board. Maybe I could share the logs in other ways.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 30 Nov 2013 02:44

Kiara wrote:I get the feeling that you (Gorboth) want the players to play the game the same way that you enjoyed playing the game. Am I right?
Yes, and no. I've always welcomed people to the game who simply enjoy being here, whatever their reason. It is not my place to dictate how they play (beyond rule enforcement) or their motivations and goals (how could I, even if I wanted to?) That being said - yes, I very much do wish more players played the game the way I did when I was a mortal. My personal preference is entirely that of excellent roleplay and immersion. So ... in this way, yes, I do want players to do that. Am I going to force them to? No ... there are lots of great players in Genesis who don't care about roleplay the way I do.

Now, do I feel that we, as a community, would benefit from an overall shift toward roleplay and away from OOC? Absolutely. I think our game would raise it's level of overall quality. Chiefly, I feel the content the game offers is only half of what makes Genesis rich. The rest comes from the players themselves. If the best the players themselves can do is to talk about smoke breaks, discuss web-clients, and insult one another for their posts out of game - why even bother to keep the lights on? If, however, we have Knights who wish to uphold the Oath and the Measure, Calians who would bleed and die for their cause, Nazgul who act as the fingers of Sauron the Great, (etc. etc. etc.) and all of these done with loving craft and dedication to their role ... this is a place of majesty, and a game that should live on as long as its players do.

This I do truly believe. :-)
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 30 Nov 2013 03:07

gorboth wrote:
Kiara wrote:I get the feeling that you (Gorboth) want the players to play the game the same way that you enjoyed playing the game. Am I right?
Yes, and no. I've always welcomed people to the game who simply enjoy being here, whatever their reason. It is not my place to dictate how they play (beyond rule enforcement) or their motivations and goals (how could I, even if I wanted to?) That being said - yes, I very much do wish more players played the game the way I did when I was a mortal. My personal preference is entirely that of excellent roleplay and immersion. So ... in this way, yes, I do want players to do that. Am I going to force them to? No ... there are lots of great players in Genesis who don't care about roleplay the way I do.

Now, do I feel that we, as a community, would benefit from an overall shift toward roleplay and away from OOC? Absolutely. I think our game would raise it's level of overall quality. Chiefly, I feel the content the game offers is only half of what makes Genesis rich. The rest comes from the players themselves. If the best the players themselves can do is to talk about smoke breaks, discuss web-clients, and insult one another for their posts out of game - why even bother to keep the lights on? If, however, we have Knights who wish to uphold the Oath and the Measure, Calians who would bleed and die for their cause, Nazgul who act as the fingers of Sauron the Great, (etc. etc. etc.) and all of these done with loving craft and dedication to their role ... this is a place of majesty, and a game that should live on as long as its players do.

G.

So all we need to have on hand is a pair of depends? Slip those suckers on a mage, and they're no longer deadly!

Resistance problem solved! How many points do I get in the mage hunt event?
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 30 Nov 2013 03:25

Amorana wrote:
gorboth wrote:

G.

So all we need to have on hand is a pair of depends? Slip those suckers on a mage, and they're no longer deadly!

Resistance problem solved! How many points do I get in the mage hunt event?

None unless you post a log as proof. :P

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 30 Nov 2013 20:04

Kiara wrote:
None unless you post a log as proof. :P

APP APP APP! Thats not allowed! :P

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 07 Jan 2014 19:24

Celephias wrote:
Draugor wrote:Well posting loggs is also a way to save time, since if you say or describe something in or out of RP there is always someone, usually from one of the so called "elite guilds" that bitch about there not beeing a logg :P So might aswell post it straight away and be done with it
We require a log of all pfights because we know that pissing and moaning usually follows and we will need to defend ourselves in some way. We also want to know if the mage was in the wrong somehow. Obviously, in char, we don't care who complains, but as players we have to cover our bases. We don't post them. Anywhere.
If you seriously require your guild members to send game logs instead of or in addition to written reports about events, then you are not even trying to be a roleplaying guild.

And I agree 100% with Gorboth on the need for more roleplaying in Genesis.

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 08 Jan 2014 04:26

Recoba wrote:
Celephias wrote:
If you seriously require your guild members to send game logs instead of or in addition to written reports about events, then you are not even trying to be a roleplaying guild.

Interesting. But from my experience, all guild council want logs. Those that only want logs are a waste. But all want them. So I dont see your point. Instead of I agree. In addition to, well every guild I have been in wants that much and more.

Well sorry, not the Mercenaries :) Save that guild ... and if you are really really technical, the Cadets. I never had a log requirement form them but I only had one when Cereal attacked me long long long ago on another charcter :)

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 08 Jan 2014 18:14

Recoba wrote:
Celephias wrote:

This is silly. The mages are under fire outside the game (like these forums) moreso than in game. We have to account for what happens as much ooc as ic, so yes, I want logs because I want to know if our guy was in the right or wrong and acted appropriately for the witch hunt that will happen out of game or any pending action or questions from the admin.

As for more roleplaying lead from the front; set an example, in game. Otherwise, I'm not sure your words here mean much.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 08 Jan 2014 22:03

Celephias wrote: This is silly. The mages are under fire outside the game (like these forums) moreso than in game.

So you saying no mage has flamed anyone involved in this crap outside of the game? :P None whatsoever? Might even be that atleast one of them has even quite agressively "protested"? And yes I am speaking about mages, the "masters of RP" :P

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/