Pasting documents

Report bugs and suggest new features for the web client here.

Moderator: Eowul

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aristos
Veteran

Pasting documents

Post by Aristos » 28 Jan 2014 20:30

I've recently started to use the web client more than before since my time has been cut down a bit and I'm never home, and I've noticed that one thing that I'm missing is the ability to paste long texts that doesn't make them look terrible.

I regularly type up letters, stories, maps, etc, while offline. Pasting these is a bit difficult using the client. Consider scroll-formatted letters, or long rp-related letters, etc.

It would be great if 1) someone could point out how to do this, if there is an option to do it, or 2) if this could somehow be implemented in the future.

Thanks!
-Aristos

Windemere
Expert

Re: Pasting documents

Post by Windemere » 28 Jan 2014 20:35

Greeting Aristos,

I find that if I write whatever it is I am writing in Notepad first and then copy and paste the entire thing over into the input of the web client, it pastes as it looked in notepad.

Windemere

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 29 Jan 2014 17:25

Really? On mine, it sets an extra line space between each sentence. Funny. Which browser are you using ? I'm on Chrome.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 29 Jan 2014 18:49

Aristos wrote:Really? On mine, it sets an extra line space between each sentence. Funny. Which browser are you using ? I'm on Chrome.
It may differ in UNIX and Windows

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 29 Jan 2014 19:13

Aristos wrote:Really? On mine, it sets an extra line space between each sentence. Funny. Which browser are you using ? I'm on Chrome.
What's even more interesting is when I use it in Chrome, it usually cuts out the spaces I put between paragraphs and mashes all my text into one block.

Intriguing.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 29 Jan 2014 20:50

I'm using Chrome on Windows 8. But it also works on Windows 7 and Macintosh all on Chrome.

Kind of weird that we would all be getting different results. But I also write my books/notes in Notepad and then copy/paste them. Cmud has been giving me lag in Genesis for some reason and the mud client is not...kind of weird, but alas, I've be on web client more often.

Windemere

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 31 Jan 2014 09:54

It might have had something to do with the document formatting because I just tried it again yesterday and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the heads up!

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 10 Feb 2014 19:08

Why would you ever use notepad for anything? Notepad++ packs a lot more bang (for no buck at all). When I'm on Windows I use it for everything, from writing notes, coding to writing entire articles for publication (I even wrote my entire bachelor's thesis using it). Regular notepad might screw things up since, if I remember correctly, it uses (at least used to use) some weird formatting for end of the line characters and such. I remember that I've had a lot of trouble opening plain text files written in anything else in notepad (and vice versa). Text would be shattered, extra characters would be added in places (most notably ^M at the end of the line, which you can of course use just like you would the 'return/enter' key on your keyboard). This would suggest problems with end line/carriage return differentiation.

Edit: Right on the spot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline#Common_problems
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 10 Feb 2014 20:08

A thumbs-up for Notepad++ here as well.
I used to use UltraEdit32, but switched to Notepad++ after I migrated to a new OS, and am quite pleased with how it works out. Plus it's free!
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/