Death Penalty Opinions

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the game return to having some kind of exp-penalty when a character dies?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 54

Kiara
Champion

Re: Death Penalty Opinions

Post by Kiara » 31 Jan 2014 22:53

Chanele wrote: Kas: The mages did get a heads up which stats will count and many did reset their stats, should not the other unfinished guilds have the same opportunity?
I think you missed the part where Gorboth said with the suggested 5% system you'll be able to rebalance your stats simply by paying a fee.

In my opinion much better than the current "die down to veteran" way of doing it.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 31 Jan 2014 22:54

Yes I agree but it should be done aaaaaaaaaaaafter recodes!

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 31 Jan 2014 22:59

I am against any death penalty that punishes for PVP, given it is not balanced.

It seems the people who are for a punishing penalty are at the top of the PVP chain, or want to punish those who have invested a lot in the size of their character.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 31 Jan 2014 23:15

castaneda wrote:2. With no recovery, it would be INSANE to change even layman guilds.... It took me about 300 fantastics to become a fabled swordsman! thats 4200 proggresslevels!!! bye bye RL!!!! :)

Fun thought... somekind of shaky too..
Some players must be playing in a different reality than I am.
I just changed layman guild, no recovery, somewhat violent at Titan and I make AT MOST Slight progress on my own, playing 2-3 hour gaming slots, as I don't have any Myth to drag me around. I didn't suicide, nor am I'm complaining, as I don't see the problem. I still see progress even if its slow. I can't even wrap my head around 300 fantastics.

People changed guilds before we had any kind of recovery, right? How come recovery is suddenly an absolut necessity for being able to change guilds? That boggles the mind.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 31 Jan 2014 23:19

Chanele wrote:Yes I agree but it should be done aaaaaaaaaaaafter recodes!
So, do you suggest we shall keep the regular 20% + recovery until all guilds are recoded, or do you suggest that we keep zero penalty until then?
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 31 Jan 2014 23:21

Mersereau wrote:I am against any death penalty that punishes for PVP, given it is not balanced.

It seems the people who are for a punishing penalty are at the top of the PVP chain, or want to punish those who have invested a lot in the size of their character.
Well I am at the utter bottom of that chain and I still think death should come with some sort of XP penalty. On the other hand I am not a huge myth either so I cant really imagine how much 5% of myth stats are and how hard it is to regain.

But the actual number can be adjusted and varied if it proves to be too much or too little. Even vary depending on your size.

The thing I mainly like with this idea is that it is just that, ONE variable to adjust. "When you die you lose a portion of your combat XP". Thats easy to understand, and I assume, easy to adjust to get it right.

I do think there should be a sting when you die, something you would fight to avoid. Most games have some sort of penalty for losing. If you fail a level in Candy Crush you'll have to start over. Yes, even simple games like that has a penalty. It's a sting to start over, something you want to avoid. If you could just continue playing exactly where you failed / died without losing anything... well it would be kind of pointless I think.

Now I never played WoW or any other MMORPG. I did play Diablo 3 recently, and I completely dislike the way death works there. It means absolutely nothing. So you can be as reckless as you want. You just resurrect at your corpse and keep on playing. Or in town if you'd prefer. For me it completely took away any excitement and was simply boring. Sure, the game is mainly about grinding and finding EQ... but for me that is pretty boring, both in Diablo and in Genesis. But if that is the type of game Genesis should be, then fine. No death penalty, or the recovery by time-version both works. Me, I want excitement. Which is why I totally prefer the hardcore mode in Diablo. Now thats exciting. Maybe a bit too much... And obviously way too much for Genesis. But we need _something_ to still have the excitement. At least for me it's much less fun without it. The current penalty I agree is a bit too much, especially since PVP is so imbalanced... but nothing, or just "wait a while to regain it", I dont think sound as fun...

But its a matter of personal preference what type of game you like.

Just like many have already said, Gorboth & co needs to make up their mind on what kind of game they want. Pleasing all current players will be impossible no matter how many suggestions are made about death penalty. Or about anything else.
Last edited by Kiara on 31 Jan 2014 23:32, edited 2 times in total.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 31 Jan 2014 23:28

Makfly wrote:
castaneda wrote:2. With no recovery, it would be INSANE to change even layman guilds.... It took me about 300 fantastics to become a fabled swordsman! thats 4200 proggresslevels!!! bye bye RL!!!! :)

Fun thought... somekind of shaky too..
Some players must be playing in a different reality than I am.
I just changed layman guild, no recovery, somewhat violent at Titan and I make AT MOST Slight progress on my own, playing 2-3 hour gaming slots, as I don't have any Myth to drag me around. I didn't suicide, nor am I'm complaining, as I don't see the problem. I still see progress even if its slow. I can't even wrap my head around 300 fantastics.

People changed guilds before we had any kind of recovery, right? How come recovery is suddenly an absolut necessity for being able to change guilds? That boggles the mind.
I think that is the unfortunate side effect of the recovery system. The extreme need to get tons of guild XP that has now become "normal". Guess its one of those "When you let the genie out of the bottle its hard to put it back in again" now...? But I would definitely prefer the genie back int he bottle.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 31 Jan 2014 23:31

The goal of this was to promote PVP. I am unclear how punishing for losing in PVP in a terribly unbalanced system promotes it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 31 Jan 2014 23:31

So here's a point I alluded to earlier in this thread but never really flat out stated for adding to the fray...

Clearly, there's a lot of argument against various systems of death penalty. This person doesn't like it for that reason, another person hates that one for another reason. What there's been very limited complaining about is the current state of affairs with no death penalty...

The one big argument has been "RP will suffer! Everyone will go out and slap each other in the faces!"

However, we've had this system for three months, and no one has slapped me in the face. In fact, I've had a lot of good RP in that time frame. So where exactly has RP suffered?

The second argument is that people won't want to PVP anymore because "there's no point" because you aren't "causing the loser pain."

We've had some pretty decent PVP over the last three months. I'm not sure where it falls statistically speaking in terms of other generations of Genesis playing, or even compared to similar 3 month periods over time, but I will say that I've heard more about PVP over the past three months than I have in awhile. To me, it doesn't appear as though PVP has suffered at all.

So to add to the conversation of "what are we trying to accomplish with a death penalty", I'd like to throw out "why is one needed at all?" We've been living without one for three months, and Genesis is just fine.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 01 Feb 2014 00:00

I think that's our chance to make Genesis not about grind-grind-grind psychology.
Original Gorboth's proposal is a great opportunity for people to do something else except grinding.

If I die, I don't have to invest another X hours in senseless grinding back.
I can:
- Roleplay
- Socialize
- Quest
- Explore
- Herb
- Test new equipment
- Read books from different libraries
- Write books
and, of course, idle...

Right now Genesis is so about GRINDING your stats, it is almost sick.
Lets make a step to inspire non-grinding behavior.

Of course, some of people will just idle in guilds. But it is their choice.

Personally, after each time I die I go to quest some.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/