Magic Resistance Improvements

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Draugor
Myth

Re: Magic Resistance Improvements

Post by Draugor » 23 Mar 2014 19:36

Zhar wrote:I want to ask question too! Is/will it be possible to lower someone's resistances?

This immediately came to my mind when reading questions and remembering the good old days of playing Diablo :)

Is it possible to lower someones armour? Well unless you've got some fancy spell hidden somewhere :P

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 23 Mar 2014 19:46

Petros - Absolutely helps and I appreciate the clarity despite the requisite 'vageuness'. I remember the mention of the concept of 'aid' as part of the MM recode. Would it be possible for you to provide an explanation of the concept for mortals? I think everyone would benefit from understanding it.

Much thanks.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 23 Mar 2014 20:30

Celephias wrote:Petros - Absolutely helps and I appreciate the clarity despite the requisite 'vageuness'. I remember the mention of the concept of 'aid' as part of the MM recode. Would it be possible for you to provide an explanation of the concept for mortals? I think everyone would benefit from understanding it.

Much thanks.
I'll use haste as an example. And I'll use arbitrary numbers to make things clearer.

Let's say a combat round takes 100 seconds. Each combat round you can make one attack. That is your normal combat ability. If I slash the amount of your combat round by 50 seconds, that is considered a 50% reduction in your combat round time. The effect it has on aid though is different. Because you can now execute 2 attack rounds in the same 100 seconds, you actually get a 100% boost in AID.

That's the fundamental difference between an absolute improvement versus AID improvement. If I were to stack two 50 second reducers, it would essentially render the aid off the charts. You could execute infinite number of attacks in the same 100 seconds. That's exactly what was happening before. Each successive stacking mechanism for haste was adding a disproportionate amount of aid.

Under the AID system, two 100% aid object stacking would not reduce your round time to 0. It would instead reduce it to 33 seconds. You can now execute 3 attacks per round instead of 1. That gives you 2 extra attacks, which is exactly 200% aid (+/- the rounding differences).

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 24 Mar 2014 00:08

Thanks Petros - this helps. Clearly the devil is in the details, but I believe this illustrates the general concept.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 25 Mar 2014 18:27

Update:

Because it is important to be able to know something about what effects are in place, we've implemented descriptions which will appear on a player who is under the effects of Elemental Resistance. These are not "absolute information" because that is not thematic or realistic at all (i.e. "Draugor has some hella-sweet fire resistance goin ON!") Rather, they will be more like what you see when you know something has an imbuement on it. A short sentence that, once you know what it means, you will know what sort of resistance is in place. Once the resistance effect ends, the description will disappear from the player.

Like with imbuements, we'll leave it up to the community to discover what these are, and share among one another. The effects should be global following this coming Army (in the next 24 hours.) Many thanks to Petros and Mercade for implementation strategies!

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 25 Mar 2014 18:59

gorboth wrote:The effects should be global following this coming Army (in the next 24 hours.)
Slight correction - they should be in effect already.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 25 Mar 2014 20:09

Why is it importent to show if a player are under the effect of ER when spells or damage descriptions dont visualize what element are used?

Jooli
Adept

Post by Jooli » 25 Mar 2014 20:54

Does this only apply to potions? I dont see a change when wearing resistance equipment.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 25 Mar 2014 22:16

Chanele wrote:Why is it importent to show if a player are under the effect of ER when spells or damage descriptions dont visualize what element are used?
A valid question. My guess is it was as much to make it easier for the imbiber to tell what they are affected by as it was for everyone else. Arguably it could be made to be seen by only the person wearing the effect, but... Given how they look, I think it's pretty cool this way. I'm in favor of more openness about effects and their usage in terms of less. I think the argument here shouldn't be "why is it so obvious for ER" but "why isn't it MORE obvious for spells."
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 25 Mar 2014 22:22

Amorana wrote:
Chanele wrote:Why is it importent to show if a player are under the effect of ER when spells or damage descriptions dont visualize what element are used?
A valid question. My guess is it was as much to make it easier for the imbiber to tell what they are affected by as it was for everyone else. Arguably it could be made to be seen by only the person wearing the effect, but... Given how they look, I think it's pretty cool this way. I'm in favor of more openness about effects and their usage in terms of less. I think the argument here shouldn't be "why is it so obvious for ER" but "why isn't it MORE obvious for spells."
Exactly, if it was intended for the user the effect could have been listed in vitals. This addition is made for elemental users aka casters so my arguement is why isn't more obvious on spells aswell? Was this addition part of the plan or player suggestion?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/