Copying from the window

General discussion about the Genesis Web Client located at https://www.genesismud.org/play/

Moderator: Eowul

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aristos
Veteran

Copying from the window

Post by Aristos » 29 Mar 2014 14:59

Stupid question... I don't seem to be able to highlight a piece of text from the window and paste it into notepad, for example. It also doesn't "stay highlighted" for me to actually CTRL+C it

Is this known, or is it user-error on my side?

Zhar
Wizard

Re: Copying from the window

Post by Zhar » 29 Mar 2014 18:45

Code: Select all

This place is probably the den of all evil that ever existed, exists now and
will exist in aeons to come. Cold shivers crawl down your spine and the aura of
death and decay permates the area.
There is a black-bound book lying on the dark pedestal in the middle of the
otherwise empty space. 
Works just fine under Linux.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 01 Apr 2014 03:20

Zhar wrote:

Code: Select all

This place is probably the den of all evil that ever existed, exists now and
will exist in aeons to come. Cold shivers crawl down your spine and the aura of
death and decay permates the area.
There is a black-bound book lying on the dark pedestal in the middle of the
otherwise empty space. 
Works just fine under Linux.
Least helpful answer ever, given that we are talking about a WEB client which runs in a BROWSER. Your OS has nothing to do with it.

Aristos - I can verify that I have the same issue when trying to copy and paste in Chrome (edit: On Windows 8. Just to make sure we're all on the same binary page, Celephias :-P). What you have to do is rather than releasing the mouse when you have it highlighted, you keep holding the mouse button while pressing Control + C. That should allow you to copy. I do, however, wish that was fixed. As well as the issue with scrolling while people talk (it's next to impossible to scroll up and re-read a conversation, or read part that you have missed if you had to afk, while people are talking.)
Last edited by Amorana on 01 Apr 2014 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 01 Apr 2014 04:16

Amorana wrote:
Least helpful answer ever, given that we are talking about a WEB client which runs in a BROWSER. Your OS has nothing to do with it.
I'm not sure that is entirely true. The binaries are all native to the OS AFAIK, so the OS can be relevant.

That being said, the response may not have been as helpful as one might have liked. ;-)

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 01 Apr 2014 06:37

Celephias wrote:
Amorana wrote:
I'm not sure that is entirely true. The binaries are all native to the OS AFAIK, so the OS can be relevant.

That being said, the response may not have been as helpful as one might have liked. ;-)
A valid counterpoint, but we're still talking about binaries that install/run a browser, and so at the end of the day, your Linux binary Firefox may not perform the same as your Linux binary Chrome. Your browser version, therefore, is generally more important in a discussion about a web based product. Further, there's only 20 million versions of Linux that could be reading this binary, and I'm not sure I trust Zhar to have updated his properly. This renders the comment even less useful. :-P
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 01 Apr 2014 08:51

Works perfectly fine in Firefox 28.0 for openSUSE, openSUSE 13.1 (OS is at the latest release and fully up to date, you hurt my feelings Amorana).

In Opera 12.16 (latest) the client looks like shit and copying doesn't work so my bet would be on some WebKit issues. Although I find it strange to not work in Opera since historically it's the browser that's most compliant with current web standards.

Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 01 Apr 2014 15:12

Zhar wrote:Works perfectly fine in Firefox 28.0 for openSUSE, openSUSE 13.1 (OS is at the latest release and fully up to date, you hurt my feelings Amorana).

In Opera 12.16 (latest) the client looks like shit and copying doesn't work so my bet would be on some WebKit issues. Although I find it strange to not work in Opera since historically it's the browser that's most compliant with current web standards.
Well, the OS part was mostly a joke (with a grain of truth.) Having done IT support, I don't trust almost any user to have actually updated their system.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 04 Apr 2014 19:21

Thanks to you all. It works flawlessly when I'm on my mac, but from work it is impossible to copy. I have to use the web client at work because the ports are closed. At least on the weekends at home I can just use TF :-)

THX

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/