Genesis on Facebook is now available!

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Genesis on Facebook is now available!

Post by Cherek » 29 Mar 2014 20:05

Hi everyone,

I'd like to request some help from you all. Thanks to hard work by several wizards Genesis now exists as a Facebook App, which is great for promotional purposes! I would like to ask you all to share this with your friends, on your timeline, or in anyway you want. Spreading the word on social media DOES help, and we have already seen a pretty big increase in new players thanks to a post Cotillion made on Google Plus a few days ago.

So please, several people have spent a lot of time creating this App, and getting it to work on Facebook, all I ask from you is a simple share that just takes a few seconds. Why not do it now. Yes now. Don't wait and do it later. Do it now!

Here is the link to the App:
https://apps.facebook.com/genesis_mud

Or, you can share the post I made in our Genesis Facebook group instead:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/genesismud/

Thanks!

Titan

Re: Genesis on Facebook is now available!

Post by Avatar » 28 Apr 2014 09:55

That just looks fantastic. Great work people :)

*clickety Click*
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 28 Apr 2014 10:28

Yes. Great to see promotional efforts again.

I have been sharing and advertising like many others I bet. Hows the response so far?
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 28 Apr 2014 15:34

hektor wrote:Yes. Great to see promotional efforts again.

I have been sharing and advertising like many others I bet. Hows the response so far?
Great you're heping out!

When Cotillion posted on Google+, and I on Facebook a few days later we went from around 3-4 new players / day to 10+, and it lasted for well over a week. Now it's back to those 3-4/day again. Also, almost all new players use the web client, and according to the survey many of them are actually also truly new.

Now, everyone doesnt stay of course, but that's to be expected. It's a niche game after all. But it does prove even small efforts like a post on Google+ or Facebook does help quite a bit. So keep sharing.

Arioch
Novice

Post by Arioch » 29 May 2014 14:36

I have noticed that the player membership is low. I've been playing for around 20 years and remember when armageddon came every day or two but now its every couple weeks. I know y'all got a new server so that has a effect. But being back from sleep mode, i hardly run into any players anymore when we used to get teams of 4 or more together in 15 min.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 May 2014 01:17

arioch wrote:I have noticed that the player membership is low. I've been playing for around 20 years and remember when armageddon came every day or two but now its every couple weeks. I know y'all got a new server so that has a effect. But being back from sleep mode, i hardly run into any players anymore when we used to get teams of 4 or more together in 15 min.
First of all, welcome back!

Now, player numbers started to decline in the early 2000s I think. The current number of players has been roughly the same for at least half a decade, or so it feels anyway, perhaps with a small decline. Gorboth usually puts together annual statistics on player numbers. You can find them on the common board, reachable in-game or here. Here is a link to the latest post:
https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... =27&t=2585

The current plan to combat this is to modernise Genesis and try to find new players. During the last few years lots of things have been done in that area, we now have a newbie zone, new newbie grinding areas, and a new tutorial sequence for new players before you create a new character. We also have a new and really good web client, making Genesis playable on almost all platforms without the trouble of finding and downloading a client / etc.

I was recently appointed "Liege of Promotion", and the short term plan is to make the webpage a little more modern-looking and "selling". (almost done), and then use some of our collected funds to advertise more, increase or presence in social media, and then evaluate how that works before making our next move. A small social media test, where we simply posted the links on google+ and Facebook immediately boosted our new player numbers with over 100% for over a week. So, promotion definitely works, we just need to promote more.

My goal is to have a very noticeable and steady increase in new players this year, and I think thats absolutely reachable. Then of course, the new players need to stay, and that everyone can help with, by simply playing actively and interacting with newcomers.

Arioch
Novice

Post by Arioch » 30 May 2014 04:32

Kool thats great. JUst don't modernize it so much it is just like every other game out there. I haven't been on much in a long time, only long enough to keep my character alive, and came back recently.

This format is the best format, it requires imagination. whereas the other games out there like grepolis is just a point and click and wait.
I prefer the typing to go into a room. Point and click is boring.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 May 2014 05:17

arioch wrote:Kool thats great. JUst don't modernize it so much it is just like every other game out there. I haven't been on much in a long time, only long enough to keep my character alive, and came back recently.

This format is the best format, it requires imagination. whereas the other games out there like grepolis is just a point and click and wait.
I prefer the typing to go into a room. Point and click is boring.
Oh dont worry about that. It's still a very niche text game with a steep learning curve and freakishly hard quest syntaxes etc.:)

I think we need to make it more available on today's platforms and thanks to the new client and the hard work of several wizards much of that work is already done. Now it's time to let more people know old-school text games are still fun. I think we need to introduce text games to a new generation of people, but I definitely DONT think we should try to compete with MMORPGs like WoW or casual browser games like Farmville, Grepolis, etc. I think our niche is for those who dont feel those fairly "simple" games are enough for them, and want something more. And perhaps those who want something a little more "geeky", or shall we say "cool", than MMORPGs, which are now very mainstream. For example I have heard younger people (teens, early 20s) say things like "Oh, I've always wanted to try a text game, I've heard about them!". Those are the people we mainly should try to catch I think. Those are also the people who are most likely to have the free time needed for a pretty time consuming game like Genesis.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/