Room examiner and searcher

General discussion about the Genesis Web Client located at https://www.genesismud.org/play/

Moderator: Eowul

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Keltar
Wanderer

Room examiner and searcher

Post by Keltar » 31 May 2014 15:52

Since I dont really like typing couse its bad for you and it is really a pain when questing...
Here is a helpful alias, which will exa all words given in the command line.
All you have to do is copy the place's long desc and paste it into command line.
Unfortunately the long desc is not available through gmcp, as there would be no copying.
You can skip examining the words you know are useless like (a,the,in,out etc.) by appending them to the
invalidWords table.
Tested on win8.1 and firefox
In the command line put
qw <text>
qw Here lies the great human known as an ivory-skinned melodramatic female human.

and you will get
exa Here
You find no Here
exa lies
You find no lies

UPDATE: this time 3 aliases and 1 trigger, all have to be in the web client to work properly.
- alias as above to examine the room (remember it only examines the first layer, plenty of items need to be examined deeper for further clues)
- alias to automatically search all examinable items from the first layer
- alias to stop the search (when you need to escape, a fight started etc.)
- trigger helper for the search alias
UPDATE 1: since editing aliases/triggers is still a pain, I corrected search alias to accept a number, use it like this:
(qw, qws, qwst are aliases names I picked)
1. qw <desc> -> this will exa words in the <desc>
2. qws -> this will search only examinable items from <desc> with 6s delay between each search
or
2. qws 12 -> this will search only examinable items from <desc> with 12s delay between each search
optionally use qwst -> stops searching
Attachments
exa_and_search_scripts.txt
(2.43 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
exaScript.txt
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Last edited by Keltar on 01 Jun 2014 14:22, edited 4 times in total.

Zhar
Wizard

Re: Room examiner

Post by Zhar » 31 May 2014 22:08

I hate it when I see one 'Do what?' thing generated by my scripts, and you say your script generates one for each word in the long description of the room and then you have to scroll through them and read them anyway to find one that worked?

I'm lost for words...
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Keltar
Wanderer

Re: Room examiner

Post by Keltar » 01 Jun 2014 00:05

Zhar wrote:I hate it when I see one 'Do what?' thing generated by my scripts, and you say your script generates one for each word in the long description of the room and then you have to scroll through them and read them anyway to find one that worked?

I'm lost for words...
Hmm, I don't force you to use it.
I simply share what I wrote and find very helpful, maybe others like it too.
I follow the Genesis rule: you want something, don't whine, code it yourself. So there you go.

I prefer reading to writing so the script is excellent for me, I guess others may like to type everything and make typos.
That is fine with me, the script is just a helper.
And no, it does not generate exa command for all the words, one can specify which words shall be omitted.

Zhar
Wizard

Re: Room examiner and searcher

Post by Zhar » 01 Jun 2014 14:15

I see nothing wrong with you sharing your script. What I meant by my comment was that it perhaps needs a bit of refinement.

Let's take this as an example:

Code: Select all

> l
On Belfalas Way in the northern parts of Pelargir. It is night. A three-way
intersection here marks the meeting place of Belfalas Way with Beacon Street. Just
to the southwest, the Sirith River is visible flowing silently beneath a bridge
which spans the stone channel that keeps the waters in their course. Far off to the
east, a tall stone structure is visible against the sky.
There are three obvious exits: north, east and southwest.
What the output of your script will be:

Code: Select all

> exa belfalas
You find no belfalas.
> exa way
You find no way.
> exa northern
You find no northern.
> exa parts
You find no parts.
> exa pelargir
The City of Pelargir covers a large area of the surrounding landscape, extending
east towards the edge of the River Anduin, and west towards fertile farmland.
> exa it
It is a simple guild item.
> exa night
You find no night.
> exa three-way
You find no three-way.
> exa intersection
The intersection connects the north-south running Belfalas Way with Beacon Street
which travels to the east.
> exa here
The City of Pelargir covers a large area of the surrounding landscape, extending
east towards the edge of the River Anduin, and west towards fertile farmland.
> exa marks
You find no marks.
> exa meeting
You find no meeting.
> exa place
You find no place.
> exa belfalas
You find no belfalas.
> exa way
You find no way.
> exa beacon
You find no beacon.
> exa street
The street here is made of large stone slabs which show the heavy use it has
received through the centuries.
> exa just
You find no just.
> exa sirith
The Sirith River flows east, travelling underneath a bridge to the southwest to flow
parallel to Beacon Street as it travels into the distance.
> exa river
The Sirith River flows east, travelling underneath a bridge to the southwest to flow
> exa visible
You find no visible.
> exa flowing
You find no flowing.
> exa silently
You find no silently.
> exa beneath
You find no beneath.
> exa bridge
The aged bridge spans the Sirith River, and heads deeper into the city.
> exa which
You find no which.
> exa spans
You find no spans.
> exa stone
You find no stone.
> exa channel
A stone channel has been constructed to keep the Sirith River in its course as it
travels east through the city.
> exa that
You find no that.
> exa keeps
You find no keeps.
> exa waters
> exa course
You find no course.
> exa far
You find no far.
> exa off
You find no off.
> exa tall
You find no tall.
> exa stone
You find no stone.
> exa structure
From this distance, all that is visible is a tall stone structure.
> exa visible
You find no visible.
> exa against
You find no against.
> exa sky
The sky is filled with billowing clouds and gulls from the sea.
>
You now have a lot more reading to do, including scrolling through text to fish for something that did produce result. I think it's faster to just manually examine anything that is an object in the room (leaves, stones, chairs, tapestries etc.). And if you want to make it faster you could simply make an alias for 'massexa <args>' and use it like 'massexa floor roof tiles chair candle' and it would issue the exa command for all the specified objects.

Keltar
Wanderer

Post by Keltar » 01 Jun 2014 14:40

Zhar wrote:I see nothing wrong with you sharing your script. What I meant by my comment was that it perhaps needs a bit of refinement.

You now have a lot more reading to do, including scrolling through text to fish for something that did produce result. I think it's faster to just manually examine anything that is an object in the room (leaves, stones, chairs, tapestries etc.). And if you want to make it faster you could simply make an alias for 'massexa <args>' and use it like 'massexa floor roof tiles chair candle' and it would issue the exa command for all the specified objects.
Sure, that is also a way.
What I like about my way is:
- almost no typing necessary to exa/search the first layer of items
- done automatically (can not miss anything, can not make a typo)
- refine the script as you go (add unnecessary words to the list, which will cut the output substantially over time)
- provides a foundation for automatic search of the area

Perhaps the script might be improved. However I see no way to get rid of the unnecessary "You find no" lines as I did not find a way to gag the output as well as I did not find a way to capture it.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 01 Jun 2014 15:27

That's the inherent error in all of the scripts. You can't make them "think" the way people do and discard improbable options.

But the biggest gripe I have with this kinds of scripts is that they require you to select, copy, paste and scroll through the text. I can't speak for the others but I've never used a MUD client that would have buttons, automappers and other such things so using anything that's not your keyboard to interact with Genesis seems unnatural to me. Typing will always be faster than clicking and since Genesis is a text-based game it's good to get used to it.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 06 Jun 2014 00:36

Wouldn't scripts like that put an unnecessary stress on the game? You're pinging the gadget with a bunch of commands just to brute force a response.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Titan

Post by Avatar » 19 Jun 2014 12:07

Mersereau wrote:Wouldn't scripts like that put an unnecessary stress on the game? You're pinging the gadget with a bunch of commands just to brute force a response.
Back in the day, it would have been a problem.

I doubt it is today, with the hardware and bandwidth that is available.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Dixel
Beginner

Post by Dixel » 12 Mar 2015 22:30

if you are still around, you might find this useful:

Deleting Text - Gagging

deleteLine()
This function deletes the current line - or any line where the cursor is currently placed. You can use repeated calls to this function to effectively erase the entire text buffer. If you want to delete or gag certain words only, you can select the text that you want to delete and then replace it with an empty string e.g:
If you get this line form the MUD: "Mary and Tom walk to the diner."
selectString( "Tom", 1 )
replace( "" )
Then the output will be changed to: "Mary and walk to the diner."

this could be used to clean up the results a bit =)

cheers...

EDIT: i just noticed you might be using the web client instead of mudlet.... if that's the case, this probably wont work... but who knows....

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/