Quest Reform

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amberlee
Myth

Re: Quest Reform

Post by Amberlee » 26 Sep 2014 14:53

It is however a solution that isnt present until its too late.
Its up for discussion now, but that basically means they will prolly get to it in a two or more years.
Realistically speaking.

tbh as it is now.
I personally wont be around in 2 or more years if its like this.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 26 Sep 2014 15:19

Gorboth, Can you give ETA?
Christmas is close, until Christmas is too optimistic

From what you stated I would give estimate 4-6 months? What do you think?

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 26 Sep 2014 15:35

zar wrote:Gorboth, Can you give ETA?
Christmas is close, until Christmas is too optimistic

From what you stated I would give estimate 4-6 months? What do you think?
The guild updates are still not done...Don't expect an accurate ETA. Too many people are involved, too many quests has to be remade and a new system without a brute but still with a real soft cap in place. These things don't come fast.
Besides, how huge don't you think everyone will become if suddenly all their qxp would be doubled? That will have to be counted in as well in the new system.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 26 Sep 2014 15:51

Arcon.
Not very huge.
For the very reason that there is QEXP cap.
Only thing that would change is the insane gap between some players.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Creed

Post by Creed » 26 Sep 2014 15:56

I believe people only see things from one side.
Amberlee said that we lose people all the time, and I personally believe that the biggest reason for this is that it is the people who grind the most, who are the ones speaking the loudest.

The immersion and Roleplay has left the realms, and without it, there is nothing else than "who can make the best scripts" left.

Were it not for PoT, for me, I would have been completely gone from Genesis years ago.

And now.. you want a system where you can make a new char and just hitch it to some XP team, never even having to make a single quest, in order to get a big character.
This looks as if it will turn out to be another of these enormously horrible decisions, as the one that gave new mortal levels and stats.
It looked like a super idea back then.. but now.. all everyone cares about is stats, stats, stats..

Why do you have to try and ruin a perfectly good game, just because you haven't got the time to play a game where you can already get what it is you want, but where you have to actually be active at your computer to get it?

I am probably among a very little segment who feels this way, but my voice is luckily just as valid.
Enjoy the weekend.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 26 Sep 2014 17:08

Creed.
Pull your head out of the sand for a bit.
If this was a perfectly good game, dont you think we would have more players?

This is at best a work in progress which people play due to nostalgia.
Wanting to relive the good times we had in the 90s.

Good games evolve.
What we have in genesis is stagnation.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 26 Sep 2014 18:36

Quest reform is hardly stagnation, Amberlee. ;-)

The game needs to be about more than just our dwindling contingent of players from the past. It needs to be about a solid design that works for players past, present, and future. This quest reform is geared toward that. I don't agree with you at all that we simply should cater to people who want to grind blissfully and focus on nothing more than combat power, if that is what you are saying (is it?) Quests are a vast part of our content, and should be brought into higher standards of uniform quality.

Creed, the idea of transfering qxp to alts could be possible with this design, but as I stated in the proposal, would be something we would have to consider very carefully before deciding it was a good idea for the game.

As for a timeline, this one will be up to the players who wish to volunteer. Arcon is right that it would be pointless to give even a rough estimate. I've got about 5 players so far who have stepped up to the plate and volunteered to help. With 300 quests, that leaves quite a lot for each one to do. More would be helpful.

If you believe in this project, and know the quests well, please contact me if you wish to help.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 26 Sep 2014 19:12

amberlee wrote:Arcon.
Not very huge.
For the very reason that there is QEXP cap.
Only thing that would change is the insane gap between some players.
We still get the qxp what is capped is its effect on brut, as I understood it.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 26 Sep 2014 19:19

RP left a long time ago, scripting was never the issue but you are correct that stats had a huge role in it. Imbalances, griefing, lack of wizard interest in player interest have played just of big of one though too. Other then the fluid combat, Genesis isn't even on the charts with other RP Muds. Why?

Because Genesis is not an RP Mud, it is a PvP Mud with minor RP elements. RP is not enforced, cookie cutter customization and no free emotes unless you've spent a lot of time in game. Three main things in any RP Mud and we semi do one of them. While we're busy arguing over balance, fixing guilds, fixing quests, fixing combat systems other MUD games are focusing on fun little things that make them different and keep players interested. Instead of focusing on how to create interaction... bigger mobs, better equipment and more powerful guilds are created.

But this is way off the topic of Quests. What's proposed isn't a bad idea. I like it much better then forcing you to do them, but this does seem like a rather lengthy agenda. Would it be just as easy and effective to remove brute and boost the experience of all quests? And change brute to a meter where the more you kill the less exp you get yet this replenishes over time as a form of checks and balances. A fix for those who hate questing, bonus for those who do and still allows for syntaxes to be cleaned up at its own pace.

What would be the cons for allowing a transfer of qexp to alts? The only issue I can see is someone who was kicked from a guild due to problems of behavior/whatever else. If you require a registered second it should be rather easy to create a flag for those who are forcibly removed. But the benefits far outweigh the cons.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 27 Sep 2014 20:43

Toss brute out, make quests repeatable once ever arma per person, and modify the xp so that questing in the same time gives aproximately the same xp as grinding and make the xp scale like combat with decent gear.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/