Accessing Forums from Work

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
petros
Site Admin

Accessing Forums from Work

Post by petros » 04 Mar 2010 16:47

I've gotten one report so far about these forums being blocked from work. If you are having problems, can you send me a PM or mail in game? I'd like to see the extent of the problem and see if we can narrow down the issue.

Thanks!
Petros

Aeg
Wizard

Re: Accessing Forums from Work

Post by Aeg » 04 Mar 2010 17:05

Ah ha! My company's precious hours will not contain me! I *will* escape into a pseudo world! Productivity *will* drop.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 04 Mar 2010 23:13

Aeg - Fight the Power!
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 05 Mar 2010 16:48

Suggestion: Though I cannot access this site from work, it would be nice if I could access it from my mobile phone. Does phpBB have a mobile site or extension module in it?

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 06 Mar 2010 10:52

I had no trouble

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 09 Mar 2010 19:00

Ok, so it looks like some people are being blocked because for some reason http://www.genesismud.org has been listed as a "Games" category site by Websense and other filters. I did a quick search and it appears there may be two easy solutions to it, assuming that the websense filter is based on domain names only. The Genesis Admin takes no responsibility for any consequences if you are breaking policy at work though. The information provided here is solely for educational purposes.

First, you may be able to bypass the Websense filter by simply using the IP address. For Genesis, the IP address is currently 82.80.226.92, so you can try pointing your browser to http://82.80.226.92/forums and see if it works.

Second, it's possible that if we added SSL to the genesis website, it will allow you past it. We'll try and look at this option and see if it works for some folks. The site you accessed would simply be: https://www.genesismud.org/forums instead (note the extra "s" in the beginning).

If neither of these solutions work for you, there are other ways to get past filters. Tunneling, proxies, and other methods have been used by many (including myself at times) to get past firewalls. However, it may obviously affect your employment so you should be mindful of the consequences if you choose to do so.

Petros

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 09 Mar 2010 19:00

Earth wrote:Suggestion: Though I cannot access this site from work, it would be nice if I could access it from my mobile phone. Does phpBB have a mobile site or extension module in it?
I looked around and it looks like there are styles that we can try. I'll give it a try in the next week or so.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 09 Mar 2010 22:42

petros wrote:Second, it's possible that if we added SSL to the genesis website, it will allow you past it. We'll try and look at this option and see if it works for some folks. The site you accessed would simply be: https://www.genesismud.org/forums instead (note the extra "s" in the beginning).
Ok, I've enabled SSL on the web server. You'll have to confirm the certificate though.
Point your web browser to the secure site. You will get a certificate not verified error at first. You can choose to ignore this error and continue to the site, or you can install the attached certificate for your browser and the error will go away. This is a temporary certificate so we can verify whether using SSL fixes the problems for those who cannot access the forums due to Websense. If confirmed that it works, we will look into purchasing SSL certificates for our web site.
Attachments
thawte.txt
SSL Certificate
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 09 Mar 2010 23:33

Is it possible to open port 443 for connection to Genesis as well? I know it can be used as a Secure telnet port (I connect to a shell from work this way) that way I could connect to genesis from work using the Fmud client? Right now the port is blocked through my work.

Windemere

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 10 Mar 2010 00:06

Windemere wrote:Is it possible to open port 443 for connection to Genesis as well? I know it can be used as a Secure telnet port (I connect to a shell from work this way) that way I could connect to genesis from work using the Fmud client? Right now the port is blocked through my work.

Windemere
Port 443 is being used to serve up the web pages over SSL.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/