Genesis Auctions on Ebay

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Genesis Auctions on Ebay

Post by Cherek » 21 Dec 2014 02:40

Greneth wrote:Seriously wouldnt be THAT bad of an idea to get funds for the game. Would be able to purchase a booth at GameCons, instant publicity.
It would also make Genesis a pay to win game... ugh.

Keltar
Wanderer

Post by Keltar » 21 Dec 2014 12:22

Cherek wrote:
Greneth wrote:Seriously wouldnt be THAT bad of an idea to get funds for the game. Would be able to purchase a booth at GameCons, instant publicity.
Luckily, one can not win this game, unless doing all the quests is considered winning.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 21 Dec 2014 14:02

Cherek wrote:
There is no winning in this game, theres no final boss, theres no last quest which ends it all. Nor would it make it a pay to play as you dont HAVE to donate, for instance Irk will probably never have to donate if he didn't want to. I'd buy a $10 item just to sell it to him for some plats. Plus there are lots of things you could add that wouldn't make it feel like a freemium game, I'd make all items tradable where anyone who cannot purchase can still trade in game for them. Instead of max qexp, perhaps a potion which freezes your brute for a set amount of time. A herb pouch that can increase the effects of herbs, callable mounts, weapon skins, armour skins, pets, custom hair, eyes/cosmetic descriptions. There are many ways to go with it in which people would be interested, only a slight edge for those who donate and more funds for the game. Funds that can be used for various things to improve the game via hardware and promotion.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 21 Dec 2014 15:48

um we already have custom eyes, hair, skin tone, nails, jewlry.
elves/knights can get callable mounts ( i could see a human guild based in rohan that would be the same as noldor but for humans.) i think there are some other guilds with callable mounts as well.
richmans gives you a perma purse, various guilds/quests give out perma containers, clothing items, special effects

so none of this will be p2w cause it already is gettable in game.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 21 Dec 2014 17:19

Snowrose wrote:um we already have custom eyes, hair, skin tone, nails, jewlry.
elves/knights can get callable mounts ( i could see a human guild based in rohan that would be the same as noldor but for humans.) i think there are some other guilds with callable mounts as well.
richmans gives you a perma purse, various guilds/quests give out perma containers, clothing items, special effects

so none of this will be p2w cause it already is gettable in game.
No we have set choices, not custom where a player can create their own. Huge difference when I get to choose... intense sharp blue eyes. Or... deep-set, soft sky blue eyes which hold a calculating gaze. Notice the difference? This is why no one takes RP seriously in Genesis because we do nothing to enhance RP.

Elves/Knights are hardly the population of the game, I'm most certain a Goblin turned Orc would really like a Warg to ride. Or Goblin anything who is not apart of the Red Fang. Hell I'm pretty sure even people with mounts would love to be able to call them instead of traveling to buy one.

There is one permanent purse. I can't think of any quest or guild which GIVES you a normal container of use let alone one that could maybe hold double the normal weight. Don't think I ever mentioned clothing items. If you really wanted to add clothing to the list it would fall under the same category as cosmetics, we have set choices not custom. There is nothing in game quest or guild which gives permanent special effects, bar Ogres and the stat change, well that and any undead change. So I honestly have no idea where you're coming up with this stuff.

So, no none of it is really obtainable in game. Furthermore you took half of what I posted and came up with some odd interpretation of it. A herb pouch which increases the effect of herbs? Valuable. A magical backpack which can hold double the amount of normal ones? Valuable. A potion which freezes your brute? Extremely Valuable. Customized Callable Mount for any race? Valuable. A spell where you can make that boring keen dagger instead look like a scorched tri-pronged katar? Or a black whip a silver chain-plated snake whip? To me these little changes can be very important in the role you wish you character to play. Why would a Priest/Mage be running around with more armour then a Knight of the Round Table? It looks silly and weapon/armour skins can allow changes that make a bit more sense and look a hell of a lot better then half the old descriptions we have in game. Again, Valuable.

There are several ideas that could be incorporated none of which truly provide an enormous edge over others and none of which cannot be obtained through the game by purchasing it off those who do donate for these items.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 21 Dec 2014 18:57

Greneth wrote: Furthermore you took half of what I posted and came up with some odd interpretation of it.
No i did not interprate anything. I was simply pointing out your suggestions would not be P2W because we had similar things in the game already.

P2W is bad. also adding stuff that is not in the game in some form already raises questions of who will code it? is this unbalenced? I was actually supporting your idea by pointing out we already have limited versions.

I did not aknowledge the herb pouch or potions specifically cause any mention of adding or changing these ends up in a huge arguement where somone asks what problem does this solve. and was more likely to get your entire post tossed out.

so just because people do not answer you in a matter you want/expect does not mean they do not understand your post and its very insulting to imply that they do not understand.

But since it appears you wish for me to oppose your suggestion... it doesnt really matter cause this game doesnt really like free form anything. Im actually really supprized BDA has free form titles. most freeform stuff is recorded and can be taken away at a moments notice if abused.

also specifically charging people raises a lot of legal issues that simply asking for donations does not. and people get really wierd about cash shops/vip subscriptions in mmos let alone muds. they wont be able to just remove customized items if people pay real money for them.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 21 Dec 2014 19:40

Snowrose wrote:
Greneth wrote: Furthermore you took half of what I posted and came up with some odd interpretation of it.
No i did not interprate anything. I was simply pointing out your suggestions would not be P2W because we had similar things in the game already.

P2W is bad. also adding stuff that is not in the game in some form already raises questions of who will code it? is this unbalenced? I was actually supporting your idea by pointing out we already have limited versions.

I did not aknowledge the herb pouch or potions specifically cause any mention of adding or changing these ends up in a huge arguement where somone asks what problem does this solve. and was more likely to get your entire post tossed out.

so just because people do not answer you in a matter you want/expect does not mean they do not understand your post and its very insulting to imply that they do not understand.

But since it appears you wish for me to oppose your suggestion... it doesnt really matter cause this game doesnt really like free form anything. Im actually really supprized BDA has free form titles. most freeform stuff is recorded and can be taken away at a moments notice if abused.

also specifically charging people raises a lot of legal issues that simply asking for donations does not. and people get really wierd about cash shops/vip subscriptions in mmos let alone muds. they wont be able to just remove customized items if people pay real money for them.
Well there is no winning so you're paying for Roleplay? No questing? There is no problem to solve, this idea wasn't thrown out to fix anything it was to enhance the flavor of the game. Wasn't about me wanting people to agree, I expect disagreement. But half of the things in your post I have no idea where you got them from, hence why I said you must of read it differently. Code it? Most of it is far from needing to be coded from scratch, few copy and pastes, change descriptions and values. Again, none of what I listed effects combat bar the herb pouch so I don't see what balance issues there would be to look into. The brute potion just decreases the amount of time it takes to level, which most people have already complained about never having enough time like they use to... would that not be beneficial?

Legally it's a thin line between saying 5$ for this item or 5$ to support the game and we will give you tokens of which you can purchase things from a specialty store. As long as those tokens are obtainable as well in game, even if at a much much more rarer rate then there is no issue. Most of the legal issues are due to use of content such as Dragonlance, Lotr etc. To be completely honest and we might have the ok but from what I hear most MUD's are already illegal as very few permissions have been given for use of said content, for instance Lotr has only given it's permission to one game I believe? It falls under the same cases such as Fanfiction where as long as the creator is not making money it is legal. How does it differ then? Well the game itself is making the money and all funds go towards the game and not personal use. And yes you can just remove an item that was abused. A disclaimer solves that quickly. Do something stupid? You'll lose it.

P2W as you call it is far from bad, whats bad is when you begin to add in items that give people such a distinct advantage over others that the game is literally unplayable unless you pay. Having money to purchase things such as advertisements, booths at Gaming events etc seems like a much more beneficial way to increase our population.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 21 Dec 2014 20:17

there is no winning in mmos either not really. since it just goes into "end game"
but genesis does have pvp so people will cry P2W.
also i have seen people argue convience items/ rp items is a form of winning
in games that that is a big part of the game.

but anyhow the idea for "premium" and subs has come up before and was shot down
pritty quickly. because this is not a mmo. everything done in genesis is volenteer based
and it actually brags the fact it is really free. the fact we dont pay royalties for lotr and krynn
content is partly due to the fact we do not charge.

anyhow adding free form items will not help this games rp. cause most people will just sit around idling in hq reguardless of if thier hair is red, coppery-red, or crimson like the blood of a unicorn. the reason people don't rp is due to the roll play nature of the game. people are buzy grinding and questing.

a true rper doesnt really need customization... or guild theme. but they do kinda need other people around willing to actually rp.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 21 Dec 2014 21:08

Snowrose wrote:there is no winning in mmos either not really. since it just goes into "end game"
but genesis does have pvp so people will cry P2W.
also i have seen people argue convience items/ rp items is a form of winning
in games that that is a big part of the game.

but anyhow the idea for "premium" and subs has come up before and was shot down
pritty quickly. because this is not a mmo. everything done in genesis is volenteer based
and it actually brags the fact it is really free. the fact we dont pay royalties for lotr and krynn
content is partly due to the fact we do not charge.

anyhow adding free form items will not help this games rp. cause most people will just sit around idling in hq reguardless of if thier hair is red, coppery-red, or crimson like the blood of a unicorn. the reason people don't rp is due to the roll play nature of the game. people are buzy grinding and questing.

a true rper doesnt really need customization... or guild theme. but they do kinda need other people around willing to actually rp.
Again, nothing that has been stated effects PvP in any way, what so ever. Other then the herb pouch. First off, MUD's were the first games to require payment to play or offer a donation option... not an MMO as you seem to be thinking. Bragging about being truly free and having very little means there is nothing we should be bragging about.

And you couldn't be more wrong about the RP, in times like this where you are in competition with other MUD's no one who actually loves to RP is going to pick Genesis over let's say.. New Worlds. We don't hold a candle to their customization and focus on RP, they are a donation game, they hold 100+ players on average at any given time, hell they are a LP Mud as well. Again, what do we have that they don't or better? People who are attracted to MUD's aren't playing them for the combat, there are way better games out there then reading lines about attacking something. Combat should always be a supplement to RP, but theres no reason for anyone who enjoys RP to play Genesis. Zero, so the copper-red or crimson like the blood of a unicorn. Is why New Worlds just hit 200 active players today.

Failure to evolve with the times, leads to stagnation. Charles Darwin showed that those species that adapt best to their changing environment have the best chance of surviving, while those who do not adapt do not make it. There is an influx of 15-30 year olds all signing up to play MUD's because words finally moving around all those RP Boards and Forums of an actual game where they can do the same thing only better with a wider imagination, none of them are playing for the PvP, the Combat Mechanics and none of them are coming here for the reasons that we focus on combat and pvp.

So does a really good RPer need customization? Nah, will they chose it over not having it? You bet.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 21 Dec 2014 23:35

so I guess i have to ask if no rper would choose genesis over other rp oriented mmos
why exactly are you here?

I rp quite a bit in various games. I typically choose rp servers over nonrp servers. But i play genisis because of nostalgia not due to rp or lack there of. most my characters in genesis have vast rp bios.

Id love to have more rp tools in genesis as well as some of the other things you mentioned. but i really do not want to have to pay actual cash for rp perks. and when i was refering to pvp it was the herb pouch i was refering to pritty specifically. id also not mind having more powerful herb based items (if you check other threds ive posted in ) but again i don't think id be willing to pay for that kind of thing. id be much more likly to just donate to show i love genesis as my platinum toroid brooch demonstrates.

cash shops are a slippery slope and often hurt games much more than they help.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/