Unsung heroes....

Offer up praise and thanks to players and wizards alike. Nothing like feel good moments to spruce up morale
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Icarus
Veteran

Unsung heroes....

Post by Icarus » 25 Jan 2015 17:50

We have a bunch of wizards, some more active than others, and we whine and complain.

Some of us are content, some are happy, and some seem to believe that the wizards are there to serve us, not just people who have decided to spend some of their spare time trying to make the game better for the rest of us. Remember, they're not paid to do this, they do this in their spare time.

15+ years ago the wizards were often students who took the time to use their compentence in coding into a hobby and created wonderful things, but now, the few wizards who are still donating their time so kindly are in full jobs, they have families, and they still find time to create new and repair old code for us to enjoy.

Please, don't complain about what's not getting done within the first five minutes you're asking for something to be repaired, but be thankful that things are getting done.

And remember, there are people in the administration today, like Mercade, who have been coding for the mudlib, and still do, for over 22 years!!!! Only Mumon's been around that long and still comes around on a regular basis as we mortals can see. And Mercade is doing a bang up job too!

So, lets be thankful for these unsung heroes who make the game better for us mortals!

Three cheers for our "friends in high places" and lets hope they stay on, doing their best!
Flee you fools!

Keltar
Wanderer

Re: Unsung heroes....

Post by Keltar » 25 Jan 2015 21:13

Icarus wrote:We have a bunch of wizards...

So, lets be thankful for these unsung heroes who make the game better for us mortals!

Three cheers for our "friends in high places" and lets hope they stay on, doing their best!
Hear, hear!

Praise to the wizards for a great job keeping this world alive and kicking.
I tried wizzing a long time ago, but it turned out I am not a wordsmith I thought I was.
And the level of detail put into some areas is astounding.
One has to admire this kind of imagination and, what is more, the ability to put that imagination into a written word. Great respect.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 26 Jan 2015 01:08

I do agree Gorboth and mercade have put in exceptional amounts of work in latly. and the wizards doing web page/new UI/promoting are doing exceptional jobs. Im sure many others are working hard as well sorry that i cant name names

Tharandil
Adventurer

Post by Tharandil » 26 Jan 2015 01:54

I wanna subscribe!
or something in that line, fully optional

or would that cause even more unwanted pressure?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 Jan 2015 10:47

tharandil wrote:I wanna subscribe!

Not sure I follow. Subscribe? To what?

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 26 Jan 2015 10:55

Cherek wrote:

Think he means an options for monthly payment to go towards paying wizards for coding specific things that are needed? Not sure its alittle vague imo. Problem is that some wizards have a _REALLY_ weird sense of what needs to be done, so imo we could put those things up for a vote

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 26 Jan 2015 18:07

Icarus wrote:We have a bunch of wizards, some more active than others, and we whine and complain.

Some of us are content, some are happy, and some seem to believe that the wizards are there to serve us, not just people who have decided to spend some of their spare time trying to make the game better for the rest of us. Remember, they're not paid to do this, they do this in their spare time.

15+ years ago the wizards were often students who took the time to use their compentence in coding into a hobby and created wonderful things, but now, the few wizards who are still donating their time so kindly are in full jobs, they have families, and they still find time to create new and repair old code for us to enjoy.

Please, don't complain about what's not getting done within the first five minutes you're asking for something to be repaired, but be thankful that things are getting done.

And remember, there are people in the administration today, like Mercade, who have been coding for the mudlib, and still do, for over 22 years!!!! Only Mumon's been around that long and still comes around on a regular basis as we mortals can see. And Mercade is doing a bang up job too!

Hey, thanks! :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 26 Jan 2015 19:49

gorboth wrote:Hey, thanks! :-)

G.
Most welcome!
Flee you fools!

Tharandil
Adventurer

Post by Tharandil » 27 Jan 2015 02:44

Draugor wrote:
Cherek wrote:

Think he means an options for monthly payment to go towards paying wizards for coding specific things that are needed? Not sure its alittle vague imo. Problem is that some wizards have a _REALLY_ weird sense of what needs to be done, so imo we could put those things up for a vote

Something in that line, somehow, I dont know if it would be beneficial or not but if it would motivate dem awesome wizzies I'd do it...Not to force them doing stuff but rewarding?
anyway, just a random thought, I dunno

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 27 Jan 2015 06:14

What about Patreon?

It's the ability to offer different tiers of things based on donations per month. They can go from as little as $1 to as much as you want. An artist, or in this case wizard, sets up tiers of what they are able to promise for certain amounts of donations per month.

If someone ever wanted to go this route you might be able to end up with like $100 a month, or enough to pay an experienced coder for 4-5 hours of solid work each month, which to be honest, could get a lot done.

It's an idea. What I would never want to see is different tiers for players, but, I for one would be willing to chip in to the wizarding community for sure as I totally appreciate all their efforts.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/