Inappropriate Character Names?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amorana
Rising Hero

Inappropriate Character Names?

Post by Amorana » 25 Jan 2015 19:45

As much as I appreciate having new characters about, are we going to do anything about some of the more inappropriate character names about?

Like I said, I love new players, but are we really going to allow names like "Twatbad" and "Poohfactory" to continue?
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

cotillion
Site Admin

Re: Inappropriate Character Names?

Post by cotillion » 25 Jan 2015 20:05

Relax.
They'll be dealt with.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 Jan 2015 20:10

Amorana wrote:As much as I appreciate having new characters about, are we going to do anything about some of the more inappropriate character names about?

Like I said, I love new players, but are we really going to allow names like "Twatbad" and "Poohfactory" to continue?
It's unlikely people with such names will stay very long anyway.

But honestly though, how many of our current players started out with silly, stupid, or plain rude character names the first attempt? Quite a few I would say! It's easy to judge now when we are not teens anymore... as long as they're just silly names why not let them at least give it a shot. If they like the game they'll probably give it a serious go with a serious name, and if they dont, well, then they wont be back anyway.

Actually, I am kinda surprised to many use serious names.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 25 Jan 2015 22:56

Wasnt there some dude YEARS ago that was named "Guard"? :D

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 25 Jan 2015 23:23

Cherek wrote:
Amorana wrote:As much as I appreciate having new characters about, are we going to do anything about some of the more inappropriate character names about?

It's unlikely people with such names will stay very long anyway.

But honestly though, how many of our current players started out with silly, stupid, or plain rude character names the first attempt? Quite a few I would say! It's easy to judge now when we are not teens anymore... as long as they're just silly names why not let them at least give it a shot. If they like the game they'll probably give it a serious go with a serious name, and if they dont, well, then they wont be back anyway.

Actually, I am kinda surprised to many use serious names.
It's one thing to have a silly name. It's another to have one that's just inappropriate. Foul language and toilet humor ought not be allowed for character names.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 25 Jan 2015 23:34

cotillion wrote:Relax.
They'll be dealt with.
I'm not unrelaxed, Cot. I simply asked a question.

It just seems to me that we should have some sort of filtering in place to prevent this. I get that a name like Poohfactory might be hard to filter and might require intervention, but I would think that I would be blocked from trying to name a character Twatbad or Shitstain. Any other multiplayer game has this type of language blocked at character creation. Figured as long as we've been around, we would too.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 25 Jan 2015 23:40

No worries, Think my first characters name was something similar. We all were hardcore greenhorn newbiekillers ( mostly each other) but later we created new characters and played the game.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 26 Jan 2015 00:59

one has to be careful when choosing a name in a game like genesis what seems cute or funny when you start may get annoying after 4-5 years. maybe genesis should offer limited name change tokens. If i had it to do over id probibly have named snow "Lossmerel" or similar the sinderin translation of snowrose.

there are various famous Genesis characters with less than immersive names. such as...
Names out of genre such as Mechwarroir, names that are unfitting for chosen guild such as Fluffy the morgul mage, Names that can be confused with objects such as Coin, names that imply a specfic guild or character such as Strider.

There was a thread a while back that asked people to share the silliest names in genesis. I was on the list.
whos to say if people would change these names if they had the option. I probibly would not change snow just because of her age and tradtion due to how long I have been playing.
Last edited by Snowrose on 26 Jan 2015 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

Mercade
Wizard

Post by Mercade » 26 Jan 2015 01:12

We do have a two-pronged policy against unfitting names:
- There is a filter with obvious unwanted words. While growing, it does not contain all slang and synonyms for parts of the anatomy. At any rate, creation is monitored and judged on a case-by-case basis.
- Secondly, rather than outright deleting all inappropriate names, certain names now flagged and people are given an opportunity consider a more fitting name. If the person does not return, it's deleted. Otherwise a new player may persist with a new name.

Reasonable requests from players to change their name are also honoured, though the older and more established the character, the less likely it is agreed to. Players who wish to change their name can petition the administration, most notably the AoP.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 26 Jan 2015 06:21

I remember this was the case when I chose Zerogravity as my name (yes I was a Hackers fan at that age) and given the option to choose a new name, by Mercade in fact. I chose Windemere and the rest is history!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/