New Player Experience

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: New Player Experience

Post by Cherek » 11 Feb 2015 19:45

Guess it depends on if we wanna be a super user friendly no brain usage involved type of game or, a super hard super frustrating puzzle, or anything in between. Not everything has to be super easy. And not all games must work like all the other games.

I don't think it's automatically a good thing that we are similar to all the commercial games. If everything was the same here, but text, then you might as well play the other games? Genesis IS harder than your general commercial game, in every aspect. Yes, we can work to make things user friendly, but I dont think we should forget that there are people out there who likes to figure out hard things either. We dont have to cater to EVERY type of player in the world. The commercial games do that so they earn tons of money... we only need a tiny fraction of players. Players who like our type of game.

Anyway,
I wouldnt mind having some type of quest help info on the official page though. Perhaps not in complete walkthrough format but something. So if someone has an idea how we can present quest aid in a good helpful way on the webpage, without providing exact walkthrough, do let me know. It also requires you volunteer for the job. You dont have to be a wizard either. But it would be a big task, and one I personally just dont have time or energy for currently. And if you dont wanna take on such a massive project right away, info for new players about which quests to solve first, and some type of guide for those quest, would be a good start.

Or, work on the quest orbs online project and finish / improve that one. It's a really good idea in my opinion.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 11 Feb 2015 20:17

Obviously Gen is not and will hardly ever be a massive multiplayer game as it could hardly support 200 active chars at a time now without activity downtime among them. Actually 1 team of 3 myths + 2-3 legend+ ogres could basically keep the current game clean of targets any size.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 11 Feb 2015 20:42

yeah most mmos have an "official wiki" aka the one they endorceand advertize on. in addition to the unofficial ones. Archage has a wiki you can link to in game from the help menu. and they do have maps/walkthroughs ect. our equivelent is the quest orb page. so its not like we dont have anything.

it just needs people to help populate it with more hints tips corrections...
it already has most the basics a wiki should maps... quest database... files like herblists
Players often do a lot of the real work to populate wikis. the companies often only put up the basic wiki interface.

me and hubby helped populate the neverwinter official wiki. i mostly took screenshots of outfits/dyes and cosmetic rp stuff.
hubby did a lot of the walkthroughs.

and kvator that file is the only one ive ever seen as well. its prittymuch all most people have and yeah id imagine its pritty outdated if not useless as a walkthrough in some areas. Im sure it was acurate back in the 90s. not that i even knew walkthroughs existed back then. of course I restarted my main like 3 times since the 90s so ive had memories to go on. but id imagine those would be enough to get a person started or past a hard syntax bit. they could use the maps on the wiki to make up for the directions but yeah its not a perfect walkthrough anymore its hints. and hints have always been allowed.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 11 Feb 2015 22:44

Laurel wrote:Obviously Gen is not and will hardly ever be a massive multiplayer game as it could hardly support 200 active chars at a time now without activity downtime among them. Actually 1 team of 3 myths + 2-3 legend+ ogres could basically keep the current game clean of targets any size.
We have instancing technology in Genesis that could fix this with very little effort. We just haven't seen it as needed yet in most cases. The tutorial is instanced.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 11 Feb 2015 22:53

gorboth wrote:
Laurel wrote:Obviously Gen is not and will hardly ever be a massive multiplayer game as it could hardly support 200 active chars at a time now without activity downtime among them. Actually 1 team of 3 myths + 2-3 legend+ ogres could basically keep the current game clean of targets any size.
We have instancing technology in Genesis that could fix this with very little effort. We just haven't seen it as needed yet in most cases. The tutorial is instanced.

G.

Aye, the problem would be how to handle pvp since alot o the ganking that goes on is when people are killing

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 12 Feb 2015 01:22

if "accidental" ganking becomes a serious issue im sure somone can add an are you sure prompt to killing players.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 12 Feb 2015 01:55

Snowrose wrote:if "accidental" ganking becomes a serious issue im sure somone can add an are you sure prompt to killing players.
Actually, I think Draugor meant that if we had all the popular myth grind-zones instanced, you wouldn't be able to find the myth you wanted to gank, because they might be in a separate instance than you.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 12 Feb 2015 02:36

oh ... right well in mmos with instancing they sometimes have a command to join somone elses instance or just swap instances in general... I am sure gen can do something like that.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 12 Feb 2015 08:51

I hate the idea of instancing. One of the reasons I like Genesis is because you can always get attacked anywhere at any time. It makes things more interesting also by making instances people would first of all meet less and second of all have more to grind. Now two groups or people run into each other on a grinding spot they can either ignore each other, team up to share the xp, greet each other and then be on their way or the attack to try to keep the grinding area for them self.

We also have a problem with size differences and one way of adding to the soft cap is to have the huge people compete over the grinding spots.

I don't think we should publish full quest solutions but add more hints to the quest orb. And if we want to encourage questing without hints it is possible to give slightly less qxp for each hint asked for. It is possible to add three or four hints, depending on how big the quest is, and the first one hints where to find it and using that you get full qxp but the second one hints a bit more in general about the quest and by using it you get a little less xp and for each hint you get more details but less xp.

I think there are a lot of people out there that is looking for a challenge and that they are tired of games they can "master" in a couple of months and that is where Genesis comes in. It is and should be a game for people that is looking for a game with more depth and challenges that they can feel they have managed to do something with each mortal level they reach, quest they solve or guild they join.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 12 Feb 2015 11:16

Arcon wrote:I don't think we should publish full quest solutions but add more hints to the quest orb. And if we want to encourage questing without hints it is possible to give slightly less qxp for each hint asked for. It is possible to add three or four hints, depending on how big the quest is, and the first one hints where to find it and using that you get full qxp but the second one hints a bit more in general about the quest and by using it you get a little less xp and for each hint you get more details but less xp.
One of the worst ideas I have seen on this forum so far. So you want to make the gap between the new players and the old ones even bigger? Why? Because you are in this privileged group (and please don't even try to convice people that you've made quests only by yourself)?
Other than that making super-duper hint-system deluxe would be cool of course, but who have time for this? It will take months to prepare it right. And with walkthroughs we can just review and publish the stuff all of us-older players already have within few days.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/