Botting

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amorana
Rising Hero

Re: Botting

Post by Amorana » 15 Feb 2015 21:15

Bromen wrote:
Arcon wrote:I don't like botting. It is perfectly possible to reach high levels without botting or some script beyond the basic triggers.
Agreed. I hit myth without botting.

-Carmelo
I find it dubious that anyone has never been led by a script.

Again, I'm not talking just "I've never scripted"... I'm talking... Never been in a team semi-attentive, while someone leads you about.

I'd argue that anyone who has hit myth saying they haven't ever been in such a team is a liar.

Just one guy's 2 cc though.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 16 Feb 2015 00:33

If I'm in a team, I'm attentive and use triggers.

I've never used a script to xp at any time to myth. I literally had zero idea how to do this. I'm not good with code and I fail to grasp the basic understanding of how it all works. So I just have aliases and triggers.

And yes, it took me 20 years of grinding krynn to get here. Neraka trolls were discovered when I hit champion. I killed thousands of centaurs and hundreds of gont guards.

Not all of us bot for hours to get to the size we are.

Frankly, I'm hella small for a myth. I'm told real myths have an avg of 220 and I'm probably a 190.5.

-B

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 16 Feb 2015 01:19

Bromen wrote:If I'm in a team, I'm attentive and use triggers.

I've never used a script to xp at any time to myth. I literally had zero idea how to do this. I'm not good with code and I fail to grasp the basic understanding of how it all works. So I just have aliases and triggers.

And yes, it took me 20 years of grinding krynn to get here. Neraka trolls were discovered when I hit champion. I killed thousands of centaurs and hundreds of gont guards.

Not all of us bot for hours to get to the size we are.

Frankly, I'm hella small for a myth. I'm told real myths have an avg of 220 and I'm probably a 190.5.

-B
Okay... You're attentive and using triggers.

I still highly doubt you've never been led by someone using a script.

Scripts are pervasive in Genesis. Much more so than anyone here seems to want to admit.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 16 Feb 2015 01:40

Amorana wrote: I still highly doubt you've never been led by someone using a script.

Scripts are pervasive in Genesis. Much more so than anyone here seems to want to admit.
I'd like to know how you are so sure as to both of these conclusions.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Val
Apprentice

Post by Val » 16 Feb 2015 01:44

I watch this discussion from the begginning. It is very interesting and so I've decided to add my 2cc as well.

1. What hits me.. our AoP is very tolerating and reasonable in this discussion while some players.. well.. not quite so. I am very glad of that, it would be much worse if it was oposite ;-) Good job, Cherek!

2. IMHO we have 2 cases of real boting (toliet breaks etc. do not count):

(A) Solo script-boting.
The player is not present at the computer, but his character walks and kills. Sounds like REAL botting, but IMHO it is not such a big deal. For safety, it would require killing only small mobs, tones of them, for hours and hours. It brings big risk of being recognized as a bot, easily killed or reported by others. Big risk, small profit.

(B) Dragged-in-a-team-botting.
And as I mentioned in the begginning I do not mean 15 mins breaks or so. I do mean leaving a character for disposal of a friend(s) for hours. It is in fact like double-login, just phisically the characters are logged on different machines. In practice - no big difference. It is safe (because a leader cares about safety) and it is HUGE exp, because in a good team they do not kill small creatures. They can effectivelly clear whole exping areas. BIG possibilities lie here, potentially one good leader can have several big teammates at disposal, they possibly can kill every NPC, get any peace of eq, be a nightmare for PVP opponents, etc. In the end.. is is very easy to script.
THIS is IMHO what should require attention.

I must mention, that the combination of (A)+(B) is also possible, but it wouldn't work without (B). If it was without (B) it would be just mere (A).

3. Idea of zero exp for 10% smaller creatures.
It is the obvious way to eliminate 100% (A) cases, but is it worth it? I feel these (A) cases aren't such a big deal, they are easy to catch anyway. From the other hand it really hurts alot of others: it hurts solo players, it hurts those who do not like to grind in the obvious grinding areas, who prefer to explore, grind in non-obvious places, RP-grind like clearing the cities or villages, etc.

4. The idea of removing levels higher than champion.
I am quite surprised noone said anything againtst. So lemme..: please don't do it! I am still a champion, but I would love to be a legend one day, I'd love to be a myth one day, don't take it away from me! I love to watch and count my levels, progresses, etc. More, I strongly believe, that different ways of measurements, parameters and widely understood character building/improving is a big part of any RP game. It is alot of fun and I see no reason to do a step back and make it poorer than it is.
And it for sure has nothing to do with the botting issue.

Well, that'd be my 2cc,
Val

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 16 Feb 2015 02:18

Mersereau wrote:
Amorana wrote: I still highly doubt you've never been led by someone using a script.

Because of the number of people who brag about them.

And the number of teams I have been in with a script being used.

I've played for 17 years. The number of people I have teamed with is no small sample. There are a lot of people who use them. And a lot of myths who offer to drag you along on theirs (whether they are attentive or not.)

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 16 Feb 2015 02:23

Amorana wrote:
Mersereau wrote:

Because of the number of people who brag about them.

And the number of teams I have been in with a script being used.

I've played for 17 years. The number of people I have teamed with is no small sample. There are a lot of people who use them. And a lot of myths who offer to drag you along on theirs (whether they are attentive or not.)
Calling all of the playerbase a bunch of cheaters isn't your best foot forward.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 16 Feb 2015 02:30

Mersereau wrote: Calling all of the playerbase a bunch of cheaters isn't your best foot forward.
I've not called anyone a cheater, Mersereau, unless you are incapable of reading.

Scripting is legal. Some script inattentively (illegal). Some do not (legal).

I've maintained all along that a lot are attentive. My only contention throughout most of this thread has been that the ones that aren't attentive aren't really hurting anything most of the time.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 16 Feb 2015 10:29

Mersereau wrote:Calling all of the playerbase a bunch of cheaters isn't your best foot forward.
you can usually see by the amount/size/frequency/emotional level of people's posts if they act with an agenda or just casually enjoy the discussion (in all it's aspects)

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 16 Feb 2015 11:56

As Amorana states, some script and are present and aware. I do that... I've had some emergencies with daughter at time, letting the script run for the 5-10 minutes it takes... I've died about 20% of those times too, and not from players, from not being there to heal or eat herb or something. Yay, oh well, back to recovery...
Flee you fools!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/