Herald of the Valar

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
petros
Site Admin

Herald of the Valar

Post by petros » 16 Feb 2015 10:25

I am looking for players who have either been Valar before or belong to an occupational guild that would like to see better integration with the Valar (e.g. Rangers). I'm in the process of updating the spells for the Valar and would like to get feedback on the spell setup.

You can respond here in this thread, or mail me in-game. Thanks!

Icarus
Veteran

Re: Herald of the Valar

Post by Icarus » 16 Feb 2015 11:52

Snowrose, Avarel and Ria could probably answer you in terms of Rangers vs Valar.
Flee you fools!

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 16 Feb 2015 13:53

hi im the formentioned snowrose.
I often recomend heralds to ranger pupils as the herald skills seem to help with casting of spells when a ranger has no guildstat to assist them.

i will be trying to use generic terms for spells so not to be uber specific to non valars
Good:
I find the earth spell very beneficial
the light spell does kill my stealth but ill use it if im traveling with people who do not have stealth.

Needs improvment:
the life spells that rangers also have i do not use much since rangers have better spells/poitions
that in some cases use the same regents which makes it less likly to waste valuable regents on a less powerful spell.
though it would be cool if the heralds had a synergy to boost the ranger spell or vice versa id love to see a greater variety of regents there are sooo many cool herbs that have no use except as food/rest/or really mild mana/heal such as evermind
the white flower that grows on graves.

Dont use as they are now:
i dont use the peace spell much but im glad to have it the only times ive tried by the time it goes off im prittymuch dead.
scry almost always fails and feels kinda meh and overly magy
the messenger is complete wastes of time for a ranger unless your having a who can summon the most pets competition. since the herald messengers has the same outdoor restriction. and our hq qualifies as inside.

as far as new spell ideas id like to see more things i can do to aid teams that rangers do not have.
like maybe a bestow nightvision to others rather than becoming a torch.
or group buffs that are similar to the minstrel bravato
or the infamous regrowth that rangers had once upon a time and archers have.

i wouldnt wish to just take away the life/pet spells because its very good for guild that don't have them
but making them have some synergy would help.
ie giving heralds a non outdoor only animal.... like a gopher or rabbit.

they do kinda feel out of place sometims like they don't quite fit into ME unless they are kinda trying to be gandalf. i could almost see them moved to terel or faerun renamed mystics or something and a few minor changes such as remove valar/ME specific texts/change regents and noone would notice they were out of place.

feel free to reply to thread or contact me if you need any further opinions :)
Last edited by Snowrose on 16 Feb 2015 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 16 Feb 2015 14:08

What I personally liked being a Herald was that it was not tied to the rangers or some other guild I disliked.
I believe i was a monk at the time.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 16 Feb 2015 18:47

Thanks Snowrose! I'd love to discuss with you in game or as much on this thread as possible.

In terms of the herb growth, I was actually thinking of introducing a new spell called "Herb Plant". Basically, I think it would be cool if you had two herbs of something, you can plant it, cast a spell, and for the rest of Armageddon, that particular herb can be searched for there. I'm thinking of limiting it to 1 or 2 herbs/locations per Valar each Armageddon. Thoughts?

I'm not a huge fan of layman being able to bestow abilities to team-mates. That's something that I see as more of a purview of a full OCC guild. If the Valar had night-vision, would that be sufficient?

For which herbs and reagents you'd like to use, I'd love to get a list you think might be useful. I'll incorporate as much as I can.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 16 Feb 2015 19:51

Night vision for Heralds? It does not fit in my opinion. You know they are not rangers, they are heralds - and heralds should be 'visible' by definition I beliebe.
Although it would be cool if this would be the ultimate healing-support layman option. Their current heal spell is a joke - even minstrels have better heal - by the way it would be cool to change minstrel completely - in a way that as a minstrel you can give a permanent aura -only one at a time (to choose from offensive boost, faster hp regeneration etc) - to your team (kind of small numbers, so it won't give you more dmg boost than standard combat guild for example when you are solo, but it will flourish in bigger teams - just my random thoughts)

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 16 Feb 2015 20:04

In Tolkein there are few references to Heralds of the Valar. In the Simarillion, Heralds of the Valar, or those who were connected with them, were often Maiar. Like Sauron, Radagast, Sarumon and Gandalf. Take Eönwë for example. He was Herald of Manwë, Chief of the Maiar and in fact, when Sauron was in his temporary state of seeking repentance, he went to Eönwë.

There is little more spoken of Heralds of the Valar in the books other than in this respect. I've always thought it was interesting that they were a layman guild when references to them have them being some of the most powerful people in all of Middle-Earth.

Anyways, I think that the lore is being recreated here for the purposes of the guild which gives leeway as to how it will be approached. I think Nightvision makes sense as they may wish to see in the darkness rather than eliminate it. They are clerics, essentially, getting power from "Gods". If that is the way the layman guild is approached there are numerous opportunities for prayers.

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 16 Feb 2015 20:35

Snowrose also mentions messengers. Rangers and Herald are now probably the only guild with severe restrictions on messengers, even some racial guilds are better off. (eagle (herald) and pigeon (ranger) are outdoor only, ferret (ranger) is same realm only (i.e. can go from Gondor to Shire, but not from Shire to Sparkle).

I like the idea of moving the Heralds elsewhere and possibly renaming them somewhat...
Flee you fools!

Karpath
Adventurer

Post by Karpath » 16 Feb 2015 21:49

Windemere wrote:In Tolkein there are few references to Heralds of the Valar. In the Simarillion, Heralds of the Valar, or those who were connected with them, were often Maiar. Like Sauron, Radagast, Sarumon and Gandalf. Take Eönwë for example. He was Herald of Manwë, Chief of the Maiar and in fact, when Sauron was in his temporary state of seeking repentance, he went to Eönwë.

There is little more spoken of Heralds of the Valar in the books other than in this respect. I've always thought it was interesting that they were a layman guild when references to them have them being some of the most powerful people in all of Middle-Earth.

Anyways, I think that the lore is being recreated here for the purposes of the guild which gives leeway as to how it will be approached. I think Nightvision makes sense as they may wish to see in the darkness rather than eliminate it. They are clerics, essentially, getting power from "Gods". If that is the way the layman guild is approached there are numerous opportunities for prayers.
I know it's on the drawing board but Nightvision in any form should be reserved for Occupational guilds only. There is already one layman guild that is too powerful to be a layman guild as it is. Don't make another. I am biased here of course being that Karpath is in the PoT that is going through changes, but if layman guilds become/are par or 2/3 as powerful as Occupational guilds , the last becomes a joke.

I like the theme of each Valar granting some sort of spell as it is. Since, if you keep the theme, they are Heralds of the Valar.

Ulmo perhaps give some beverage?
Aulë maybe harden weapon so it doesnt dull for some time?
Oromë could lessen fatigue ?
Mandos light spell maybe?
Tulkas give little extra strength?
Yavanna same as Ulmo just foodstuffs?
Nienna spare a life ( mini heal )
Nessa perhaps evade/dodge boost for some minutes ?
Varda maybe that messenger you mention, being she is queen and all.

I know there are other both male and female Valar. But again a layman guild should be a layman guild.

- Me.
It is the fluttering of moths to the flame that amuses me.

Mortis

Post by Mortis » 16 Feb 2015 22:44

Unique and interesting suggestions, Karpath!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/