Player killing rules updated

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mersereau
Champion

Re: Player killing rules updated

Post by Mersereau » 23 Feb 2015 02:52

I would hope the caveats on harassment and loot defense are clarified in these cases.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 23 Feb 2015 03:28

Mersereau wrote:I would hope the caveats on harassment and loot defense are clarified in these cases.
Could you elaborate on that? Not sure I understand exactly what you mean.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 23 Feb 2015 10:04

Cherek wrote:
Mersereau wrote:I would hope the caveats on harassment and loot defense are clarified in these cases.

Repeated killing without reason I think on harassment and Loot defence... "Leave or die" just because someone was guarding a specific mob one room from the actual mob

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 23 Feb 2015 12:58

Draugor wrote:
Cherek wrote:

Repeated killing without reason I think on harassment and Loot defence... "Leave or die" just because someone was guarding a specific mob one room from the actual mob
What mob and what person could this be....

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 23 Feb 2015 14:32

Draugor wrote:
Cherek wrote:

Repeated killing without reason is already in the rules. As for loot defence, I dont think we ever have policed such things? And I dont think we should. People have always tried to protect certain areas for various reasons, be that RP, XP, or loot, I dont see a reason why that should be forbidden?

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 23 Feb 2015 20:46

Draugor wrote:
Cherek wrote:

Just from an observer, I actually read Mersereau's statement the opposite of how Draugor did. My interpretation was that if a newbie is being an annoyance (for example, spamming you with pokes while following you around) or doing something like stealing your loot, there should be caveats for this. To me, that falls under "provocation", which I think the new policy dictates clearly by saying "without provocation". I think you're okay to kill a newbie who is a loot thief or an annoyance.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 23 Feb 2015 23:49

Amorana wrote: Just from an observer, I actually read Mersereau's statement the opposite of how Draugor did. My interpretation was that if a newbie is being an annoyance (for example, spamming you with pokes while following you around) or doing something like stealing your loot, there should be caveats for this. To me, that falls under "provocation", which I think the new policy dictates clearly by saying "without provocation". I think you're okay to kill a newbie who is a loot thief or an annoyance.
Exactly. I would ask it be clearly stated. When it comes to rules being vague is a terrible idea.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 24 Feb 2015 14:11

Mersereau wrote:
Amorana wrote: Just from an observer, I actually read Mersereau's statement the opposite of how Draugor did. My interpretation was that if a newbie is being an annoyance (for example, spamming you with pokes while following you around) or doing something like stealing your loot, there should be caveats for this. To me, that falls under "provocation", which I think the new policy dictates clearly by saying "without provocation". I think you're okay to kill a newbie who is a loot thief or an annoyance.
Exactly. I would ask it be clearly stated. When it comes to rules being vague is a terrible idea.
The only thing I changed was the word "repeatedly", and then I added "without provocation" a second time, which I hoped would make it more clear.:) Like Amorana says, the things you describe definitely falls under "provocation".

If we start listing a lot of different scenarios it will soon become a very long list of specific things you can or cannot do. Like a law book... and we're probably still gonna miss a lot of different scenarios, and risk people thinking anything NOT listed is okay. "But rules said nothing about kicking him in the butt 10 times, it only said poking!". I can imagine that conversation already...

I think the word "provoke" as a good word that does the job well. But if you have an idea on how to formulate it more clear without creating a long list of specifics, feel free to come with a suggestion. I do agree that the rules should be _clear_, but without being a law book with hundreds of scenarios listed.

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 25 Feb 2015 01:40

Cherek wrote:
Icarus wrote:How about a filter on the donation boxes, any weapon that is dangerous to the young ones (snake whip, BSA, corrupted weapons etc) gets filtered through a nifty device, returning a weapon of "exceptional quality" of the same class (club/sword/axe etc) which is awesome for a newbie, but then again, can't be wielded by anyone with higher stats than "able to get out of donation box + X %". That way, people can still donate such stuff, but not kill newbies and get screwed over if they do it just to preserve an item ;)
If a puddle of blood starts to form around the donation box perhaps we need to think of some type of filter yes. It's been working fine a long time though, so let's see if perhaps this simply was an isolated incident before we change too much.
I paid a newbie to take out a corrupted weapon from the donation box, just to get it away from those who would die trying to use it... So, it's more luck than anything really... BSA's were "fun to put at Cadets" back in the days.. People used to go there to charge it :)
Flee you fools!

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 25 Feb 2015 06:33

Icarus wrote:
Cherek wrote:
Icarus wrote:How about a filter on the donation boxes, any weapon that is dangerous to the young ones (snake whip, BSA, corrupted weapons etc) gets filtered through a nifty device, returning a weapon of "exceptional quality" of the same class (club/sword/axe etc) which is awesome for a newbie, but then again, can't be wielded by anyone with higher stats than "able to get out of donation box + X %". That way, people can still donate such stuff, but not kill newbies and get screwed over if they do it just to preserve an item ;)
If a puddle of blood starts to form around the donation box perhaps we need to think of some type of filter yes. It's been working fine a long time though, so let's see if perhaps this simply was an isolated incident before we change too much.
I paid a newbie to take out a corrupted weapon from the donation box, just to get it away from those who would die trying to use it... So, it's more luck than anything really... BSA's were "fun to put at Cadets" back in the days.. People used to go there to charge it :)
The flaming axe from Kabal was fun aswell xD

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/