Herald of the Valar

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Herald of the Valar

Post by Cherek » 03 Mar 2015 16:05

Alisa wrote:
Kvator wrote:quick idea:

Maybe it would be good to make spells in layman caster-guilds VERY skill-dependant? So it will be possible for people to join mercs as occ and actually play Herald, Necromancer, Worshipper etc? They will have a choice to go classic 25/25/25/25 (weapon/def/parry/two handed combat) or to go 50/50 (spellcraft/magic school) - it will decrease their combat potential, but will actually make them useful (heal in heralds). They could also combine it to become crazy mage-warrior (some combat skills + boosted fry from necromancers for example :))

just an idea (maybe it is against a big scheme prepared for magic-guilds recode etc, but i think it is worthy to discuss it anyway)

Cool, idea. I tried speccing with mercs and EW, but not a noticeable difference. This would also make imbuements with "something" spell skills useable:-)
I've always seen mercs as a very good way RP your layman guild as it was your main occupation. I agree it would be great if it could also be much more useful skillwise.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 06 Mar 2015 14:05

Indeed. Giving spells better performance based on skill would be nice.

As far as the Valar go, I believe there was a special board (or was it just a regular one?) set up in their halls by Eowul who wanted member's insight into guild recode. Might be a good place to look for ideas.

As far as Herald/Ranger combination goes, the biggest downside of it is that you're effectively doubling some of your spells (paying tax for 2 things that do the same thing but only ever use one).

For their spells suggestions I really like Karpath's ideas. I'd also like to post one of my own (since I'm a long-time HotV fan):
- Silme (the light spell) could be reworked to something resembling stuff Gandalf was doing in the books. It should be guildstat dependent (better gstat and skills = better effect) and have double effect:
1. Light (better herald = more light)
2. Ward against evil (evil creatures can't stand the light of Valar, making them miss and in extreme cases even forgo an action)

This would not only be thematic and unique, but also really cool spell to have both solo and in a team. And maybe if multiple Heralds would cast it in the same room the effects would increase? So you could either have one very powerful Herald or many lesser ones combining their efforts.

Food for thought.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 06 Mar 2015 23:09

the nice thing about the herald ideas so far is thanks to the sets people can chose things that do not double up

if you a ranger and dont want to heal/cleanses you take the set that has no heal/cleanse
also if yoir a pacivist you can pick a set with none of the offencive powers.
(not sure if the herald offencive spell would be considered a nono to rangers since its clerical)
since the guild will be balanced with people not having every spell that should lighten the tax issue

also imho id keep peace if we can maybe have it be exclusive to the more pacivist set(s)
and make sure at least one set has no (heal/cleanse/offencive blast) for pacivist rangers :)
im sure things like protect from evil and entangle would be fine.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 07 Mar 2015 02:06

Peace spells are no longer (at least with guild recodes) supposed to be allowed in Genesis, which would explain why it will be removed with the update. This was the reason behind the removal of the summon NobNar spell from the dusty tome. And the reason behind why minstrel's was changed so that as a player you could instantly reattack. Peace spells were deemed to not have a place in Genesis. And in all actuality when you think about it really are a silly idea to have... especially as a faction based guild. Thematically in line with Genesis style of play the only guilds where it would fit are the truly neutral guilds and out of them based off of their RP it should only be associated with monks and seeing as how they are not a spellcasting guild it is a frivolous idea.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 07 Mar 2015 02:18

Well, it was only a matter of time, really ...

So there I was, minding my own business, struggling (as usual) with the
vending gizmo in the wizard's lounge, when I hear the all-too familiar
sound coming from the hallway. There they were, Nob Nar and Armageddon
at it again ... arguing (for the I don't know what'th time!) about who
can do the most push-ups. I rolled my eyes and tried to ignore it, but
something was different this time. As things got louder and louder, I
found myself getting impatient with the vending machine, and was just about
to start yelling myself when the most terrible crashing took place! I
rushed into the hallway to find a somewhat stunned-looking Army. I asked
him what happened, and all he said was "Got mad and left!"

Well, we've tried to contact him, but I guess there's no use. Nob Nar has
flown the coop, as it were. Any of you who still have his dusty old tome
will find it quite useless. Well, I suppose it might still look good next
to the picture of Uncle Rufus above the fireplace. Up to you.

Angry letters can be mailed to Armageddon. I'm certainly not going to take
the heat for him!

G.
In regards to the aforementioned post pertaining to peace spells.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 07 Mar 2015 06:16

Hah! Are you a packrat of old posts, or was that something still lurking here on the Common Board thread from days past, Zestana?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 07 Mar 2015 16:14

I have everything logged from the forums and every login from Genesis from the last 10 years all on an external hard drive. ;) Between that and an ability to recall exact details it makes finding things like this easy. Also why I tend to plow through the Scavenger Hunt event (provided all the items are actually available.) In this case I knew that the tome had been removed within about 5 months of the vampire guild closing (February 4th, 2010) so I searched for common board notes past that in my file and found the one above from April 23rd of the same year. So packrat.... in a sense, but it sticks in my head even if I don't log it and then its just frustrating when I know the gist of it but I can't remember the entire thing.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/