Guild Descriptions

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Samuel
Apprentice

Guild Descriptions

Post by Samuel » 25 Mar 2015 21:52

I've been trying to bring some new players into the game, and they are looking for guilds to join, but they are complaining that the descriptions on the website are too short. For example the Rangers description:
Learn how to use different weapons - Which ones, even broadly? Hand to hand, polearms, missile weapons?
Learn spells and potions to aid in their patrols and defend themselves - What does that mean? How do potions aid in patrolling?

That's it. Can learn to fight and can learn spells. That applies to the bulk of the guilds in this game. What else can we tell them? Joining a guild is a big decision. Do we really expect players to make that decision with only a few sentences for guidance? Granted they should go meet some of that guilds' players and find out more but sometimes that is harder to do than you might think. Although the background information about the guild is great, for many players it doesn't matter as much as telling them what they can actually do once they join.

"Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed." Why not? For most of us players these are general knowledge. Wouldn't this information help people become interested in your guild? Why say, 'and we can do something really cool but I can't tell you what it is'? How does that excite people to join you?

We have some pretty cool guilds here. Some of which are barely alive. How do we get all these new players to join up? From what people are telling me first hand, they need more information.

Thoughts?

Mirandus
Site Admin

Re: Guild Descriptions

Post by Mirandus » 25 Mar 2015 21:59

You are right Samuel,

Some of those guild descriptions could use an update. I'll talk to the administration and see if I can update some of them to give more details.

I don't agree that we should be revealing guild abilities. Sure, some of these are common knowledge, but some are not.

My thoughts would be to try to describe the style of guild to give people an idea of if they like that style and feel their player would fit within it. After that, they can find the guild and start exploring it a bit by reading in a public library, mailing the council, or finding a member and asking questions.

Great suggestion though to revamp some of the guild descriptions.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 25 Mar 2015 22:05

Samuel wrote:I've been trying to bring some new players into the game, and they are looking for guilds to join, but they are complaining that the descriptions on the website are too short. For example the Rangers description:
Learn how to use different weapons - Which ones, even broadly? Hand to hand, polearms, missile weapons?
Learn spells and potions to aid in their patrols and defend themselves - What does that mean? How do potions aid in patrolling?

That's it. Can learn to fight and can learn spells. That applies to the bulk of the guilds in this game. What else can we tell them? Joining a guild is a big decision. Do we really expect players to make that decision with only a few sentences for guidance? Granted they should go meet some of that guilds' players and find out more but sometimes that is harder to do than you might think. Although the background information about the guild is great, for many players it doesn't matter as much as telling them what they can actually do once they join.

"Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed." Why not? For most of us players these are general knowledge. Wouldn't this information help people become interested in your guild? Why say, 'and we can do something really cool but I can't tell you what it is'? How does that excite people to join you?

We have some pretty cool guilds here. Some of which are barely alive. How do we get all these new players to join up? From what people are telling me first hand, they need more information.

Thoughts?
Visit the guild and I am sure you will find more info.

Drip
Wanderer

Post by Drip » 25 Mar 2015 23:48

And another thought, the guild books are hard to navigate through. Can't just <read book> but turning pages and a lot of commands.
<read page _> would be better then: close book, open book, read book, turn page, read book, turn page etcetera.
(if you don't understand what I've written, assume I have bad wording)

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 26 Mar 2015 00:44

Drip wrote:And another thought, the guild books are hard to navigate through. Can't just <read book> but turning pages and a lot of commands.
<read page _> would be better then: close book, open book, read book, turn page, read book, turn page etcetera.
Usually if you can 'turn page' you can also turn to page.

Example (this is real, in-game in case you're wondering):

Code: Select all

> open book
You open the old leather book at page one.
> turn book to page 15
You turn the old leather book to page fifteen.
> turn book to page 1
You turn the old leather book to page one.
> close book
You close the old leather book.
>
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 26 Mar 2015 01:04

Samuel wrote:I've been trying to bring some new players into the game, and they are looking for guilds to join, but they are complaining that the descriptions on the website are too short. For example the Rangers description:

Thoughts?
I couldn't agree more, secrecy use to be something worthwhile but with the new who list that opened the flood gate and all the websites/files that have been floating around over the years it's just the newbies who now suffer from a lack of knowledge.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 26 Mar 2015 09:33

I guess we could use a true and official wiki that would have more info (not necessarily all the info).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 26 Mar 2015 11:34

The best approach would be to meet and talk to the members of the guilds.
I do not think the guild descriptions should be detailed.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 26 Mar 2015 12:54

Do as much research as you can about a guild before joining it. If you are basing all your opinions off a website, you will probably find yourself unhappy with your decision. Many guilds would not accept you if that is the way you go about your business anyhow.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 Mar 2015 14:32

I can only agree that the website guild descriptions could use an update. The ones we have I simply copied from the old page. If anyone wants to update them that's perfectly fine with me. You do not have to be a wizard either. It's just writing text, anyone who wants to can do it. Although I do not feel they should contain super detailed info about every aspect of every guild. The idea is that they should give you a general idea about what the guild is about. But they can definitely be better than they are now.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/