Elven Archers

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Icarus
Veteran

Re: Elven Archers

Post by Icarus » 11 Apr 2015 20:25

gorboth wrote:I'll try to get a way to adapt missile skills in this week for Mercs.

G.
Hmm, will that mean adaptation skill will rise from superior guru to "wizard level" ? :P
Flee you fools!

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 11 Apr 2015 20:27

AFAIK mercs can already adapt missiles.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 11 Apr 2015 21:36

Aristos wrote:AFAIK mercs can already adapt missiles.
They can?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 11 Apr 2015 21:39

gorboth wrote:
Aristos wrote:AFAIK mercs can already adapt missiles.
They can?

G.
Yeah. From Qualinesti. I'm 99.9% sure.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 11 Apr 2015 22:45

You can adapt just no mattack.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 12 Apr 2015 02:25

OK, let's get some things straight here...

First of all, Mercs could always adapt missiles but could never use mattack with them. Since I'm working on recoding the archers I'd like to keep it this way so that mercs wouldn't compete with archers (imagine the choice of worse overall combat skills and better single special vs better combat skills and 2 specials). We would pretty much end up right where we are now - where it's more beneficial to join occ mercs and lay archers to be better archer than occ archers. I don't want that. I want archers to be a fully-sufficient guild that would be able to compete for members with other free-to-join guilds, as well as provide some unique experience for the player.

Unless that's what everyone wants. Then I'll scrap the OCC archers idea entirely and only leave them as a layman.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 12 Apr 2015 03:41

Zhar wrote:OK, let's get some things straight here...

First of all, Mercs could always adapt missiles but could never use mattack with them. Since I'm working on recoding the archers I'd like to keep it this way so that mercs wouldn't compete with archers (imagine the choice of worse overall combat skills and better single special vs better combat skills and 2 specials). We would pretty much end up right where we are now - where it's more beneficial to join occ mercs and lay archers to be better archer than occ archers. I don't want that. I want archers to be a fully-sufficient guild that would be able to compete for members with other free-to-join guilds, as well as provide some unique experience for the player.

Unless that's what everyone wants. Then I'll scrap the OCC archers idea entirely and only leave them as a layman.
I'd rather have the OCC guild

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 12 Apr 2015 08:23

Greneth wrote:
Zhar wrote:OK, let's get some things straight here...

I'd rather have the OCC guild
In my opinion if you are going to put a lot of effort in to quite a bit of recode and go occupational, I'd probably have a re-think of the entire archer concept. Racial occupational guilds are a great idea, but in practice end up being a fringe guild. At best it would be something like the Neidar clan... although more likely it would end up like the kender guild with only a handful of members... which I think would be a shame for the effort you'll be putting in.

Why not open up a core occupational archer/missile guild to most races (neutral), however allow players to affiliate themselves to thematic racial factions (that could be rolled out over time) that grant them access to tailored guild rooms, potentially warfare factions, and potentially varying skills/abilities? You could have your Qualinesti archers, Palanthian longbowmen (Palanthas is almost a perfect location for an archers guild), Throtyl hobgoblin reavers, gnomish siegemen, dwarven crossbowmen etc. Could even potentially extend outside of Krynn... drow handcrossbow raiders?

Anyway, just some thoughts. The cosmetic side of things is probably going to be the easiest part of your recode... working out how missile code is going to work where Genesis is very focused on hand-to-hand combat is going to be the hard part!

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 12 Apr 2015 08:46

Kenders dont even have a handfull now sadly since they are more or less useless. Kinda like archers, havent seen an archer in years, the main problem for arches I think is that they are elf only.
Elves arent a really good "combat race" its more of a roleplay option with the stat differences. Tbh I dont see many elves at all unless its one of the newbies or one of the ancient players that have been an elf since the game opened :o

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 12 Apr 2015 08:49

Arman - the only really good bow REQUIRES elf race or barely accepts half-elf. THAT is the main reason why anything to do with archery in Genesis of today would be quite race-related.
I loved the concept of the hobbit Ranger using bows. Sadly it's as impossible to play as Ranger/necro (Aragorn).

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/