Keeping your titles and basing them differently ...

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Having read the note below, I think the idea sounds:

... worth a try, let's test it for a month.
72%
... like a mistake. Don't do it.
28%

Total votes: 53

gorboth
Site Admin

Keeping your titles and basing them differently ...

Post by gorboth » 18 Apr 2015 01:32

Esteemed Denizens of the Donut,

The Admin have been in the process of discussing ways to enhance gameplay, specifically when it comes to pvp. The current way of doing things makes death very costly, acting as a deterrent to pvp as an option most people would choose on any regular basis.

One proposal which has emerged would offer to change the game in two main ways:
  • Mortal levels (wanderer, veteran, legend, etc.) would change to be based on total acquired exp rather than stat average.
  • The death penalty would be altered so that a player cannot lose exp past what is required to maintain their current mortal level.
Implications include:
  • Once you earn a mortal level, you can never drop below it when you die.
  • If pvp engagement drops you down to your mortal-level baseline, you can achieve a state of "nothing to lose" which might make pvp much more fun and less demoralizing.
  • Myth++ players have a lot more to lose than non-myth++ players. This is one of the problems with the proposal.
  • Players could no longer use death to re-spec their stats. This is another problem.
  • Because the same level of exp might lead to very different stat-averages based on your racial stat modifiers and your allocation of experience across your stats, two players might reach the same mortal levels at very different levels of power. Not really a problem, perhaps, but interesting!
Potentially needed changes to accompany the setup, which would address the problems:
  • Re-stratification of where the levels are achieved, possibly including more mortal levels that go far higher than the current myth average.
  • Re-opening the attic in the Sparkle AG so players can deal directly with death to re-spec their stats.
Please vote and post comments and rationale.
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Re: Keeping your titles and basing them differently ...

Post by OgreToyBoy » 18 Apr 2015 01:35

I vote no, especially on the more titles part.
We need LESS stats, not even more hunger to grow larger.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 18 Apr 2015 01:38

The goal is not to help people grow larger. The goal is to allow people to die more often and have it feel fun and like an acceptable risk and potential loss.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 18 Apr 2015 01:53

gorboth wrote:The goal is not to help people grow larger. The goal is to allow people to die more often and have it feel fun and like an acceptable risk and potential loss.

G.
Well, I see just one possible issue (is it really an issue?) with the 'mortal level based on exp acquired instead of current stats' part. I do like the idea, since it actually lets you know who has been around for a while and active, not necessarily who has grinded the most to get bigger. We could end up with such possible scenario:

1. Create new character.
2. Get to adept or somesuch low level, where you can follow bigger people around and get tons of xp.
3. Die back down to beginning of adept every time you're on a verge of progressing to the next level.
4. Profit. You will now have an adept-sized player who displays as myth.

It might actually be fun to have some tiny myths for a change, but I wanted to point out the gateway to possible abuse.

To make myths really mythical I think we should use some combination of real-time character age, in-game character age, character experience and some-such.

It kind of pains me to see some rather legendary personas in their own right be considered smallfrys and shrimps just because they didn't grind the hell out of every year they've been around (like the second person to join the SU, ever, running around as a rising hero or hero, or the certain AA/minstrel who never passed the hero level despite being around for over 20 years).
Last edited by Zhar on 18 Apr 2015 02:01, edited 2 times in total.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 18 Apr 2015 01:57

gorboth wrote:The goal is not to help people grow larger. The goal is to allow people to die more often and have it feel fun and like an acceptable risk and potential loss.

G.
If you give people a goal they will strive for that goal.
You might see some more pvp, will mostly be people who are already overpowered and can kill others with ease, knowing damn well they are safe from revenge(like calian-pile on Irk, apart from the actual killing bit). The other Group who might pvp a bit are the ones that just reached their desired mortal lvl and want to be disruptive.

The fun in PvP is usually one-sided if the victim have anything to loose.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 18 Apr 2015 02:10

It's an interesting idea for sure, I'm not opposed to it.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 18 Apr 2015 02:13

Zhar wrote:

G.
Well, I see just one possible issue (is it really an issue?) with the 'mortal level based on exp acquired instead of current stats' part. I do like the idea, since it actually lets you know who has been around for a while and active, not necessarily who has grinded the most to get bigger. We could end up with such possible scenario:

1. Create new character.
2. Get to adept or somesuch low level, where you can follow bigger people around and get tons of xp.
3. Die back down to beginning of adept every time you're on a verge of progressing to the next level.
4. Profit. You will now have an adept-sized player who displays as myth.

It might actually be fun to have some tiny myths for a change, but I wanted to point out the gateway to possible abuse.

To make myths really mythical I think we should use some combination of real-time character age, in-game character age, character experience and some-such.

It kind of pains me to see some rather legendary personas in their own right be considered smallfrys and shrimps just because they didn't grind the hell out of every year they've been around (like the second person to join the SU, ever, running around as a rising hero or hero, or the certain AA/minstrel who never passed the hero level despite being around for over 20 years).
This is not accurate. You have misunderstood the proposal. Titles would be based on exp, and the threshholds for the title would be static, rather than dynamic. So, if you kept dying down to adept, you would have stats appropriate to that level of exp, which is what your title (the exp, not the ave) would be based on.

High titles would still correspond with high stats, but based on total exp, not based on stat average.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Drip
Wanderer

Post by Drip » 18 Apr 2015 03:21

Just try something new instead of debating on forums.... vote yes!
(if you don't understand what I've written, assume I have bad wording)

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 18 Apr 2015 09:32

It might be worth a trial period.

We should also try to figure out a solution to huge stat differencies. This I suspect is just as big deterrent on PvP as the loss of dying.

I do not have a good suggestion how to solve this though, maybe someone else has?

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 18 Apr 2015 09:37

Because the same level of exp might lead to very different stat-averages based on your racial stat modifiers and your allocation of experience across your stats, two players might reach the same mortal levels at very different levels of power. Not really a problem, perhaps, but interesting!
This might also reveal imbalance between races for measurement and statistics.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/