Calia Hobbit Number Game Quest [Possible spoilers]

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Vlek
Wanderer

Calia Hobbit Number Game Quest [Possible spoilers]

Post by Vlek » 18 May 2015 05:56

I've found an issue with the number game that may or may not be intentional. I've created a way to programmatically create a list of all possible combinations of numbers and evaluate which ones hit the target number, and I've found that, out of any ten given times that you play, there may be one or two answerable ones. I believe that this is due to a very odd order of operations issue that's going on. One of my number game plays with a target number of 288 and numbers 100, 25, 75, 9, 6, 8 and 7 appeared to have only one answer: 100*25/75*9+6-8-7. When I tried this number in game, I was told that I was wrong and that it equaled -9. I've tried everything I can think of, and there's no way that I can think of using that equation to come to -9.

Being lucky and repeating the number game several times will give a problem that does not have any order of operations issues that can then be used. I believe these problems are the ones without side-by-side division and multiplication operations.

Zhar
Wizard

Re: Calia Hobbit Number Game Quest [Possible spoilers]

Post by Zhar » 18 May 2015 09:23

vlek wrote:One of my number game plays with a target number of 288 and numbers 100, 25, 75, 9, 6, 8 and 7 appeared to have only one answer: 100*25/75*9+6-8-7. When I tried this number in game, I was told that I was wrong and that it equaled -9. I've tried everything I can think of, and there's no way that I can think of using that equation to come to -9.
It doesn't equal -9 but it's still wrong.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 18 May 2015 09:43

Wouldn't that be 291?

And the correct answer should of been... 25*8+75+7+6 = 288

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 18 May 2015 10:22

Greneth wrote:Wouldn't that be 291?

Should have*

Sorry, but I really can't stand all the "should of" and "would of" creeping all over the net in the recent years (damn you native English speakers, damn you).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 18 May 2015 10:25

Zhar wrote:
Greneth wrote:Wouldn't that be 291?

Should have*

Sorry, but I really can't stand all the "should of" and "would of" creeping all over the net in the recent years (damn you native English speakers, damn you).
Sorry, **could of been. ;-)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 18 May 2015 16:48

"could of" is not good native English at all! "Could have" perhaps ... ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 18 May 2015 17:48

gorboth wrote:"could of" is not good native English at all! "Could have" perhaps ... ;-)

G.
I blame Stahl for my lack of proper engrish

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 18 May 2015 20:23

Armin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Mueller-Stahl? I learned the basics of english in Germany indeed ...

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 18 May 2015 21:57

Laurel wrote:Armin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Mueller-Stahl? I learned the basics of english in Germany indeed ...
Deutsche Sprache, schwere Sprache.

Vlek
Wanderer

Post by Vlek » 19 May 2015 04:15

Zhar wrote: It doesn't equal -9 but it's still wrong.
It's not wrong depending on what you're using to calculate it. In python and ruby, it's right. In damn near everything else I've tried it on including the regular windows calculator it comes to 291.
Greneth wrote: Wouldn't that be 291?
Depends what you're using to calculate it with apparently, and no, that's not the right answer. You have to use all of the numbers and only change the mathematical operations between them.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/