Where to grind on which level?

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Where to grind on which level?

Post by Cherek » 20 Oct 2015 19:25

Ody: There's two kinds, small and big ones. Big ones in the same camp but down south. Adding the small ones to GA-expert.

Aristos: Seriously? People actually go there to grind? Dont the knights just close it?

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 20 Oct 2015 19:35

Cherek wrote:Ody: There's two kinds, small and big ones. Big ones in the same camp but down south. Adding the small ones to GA-expert.

Aristos: Seriously? People actually go there to grind? Dont the knights just close it?
I don't know anyone who goes there to grind. The portcullis closes when the front gate is attacked. Mages can enter by being invisible and fight from within but that's not a viable option for anyone outside that guild so I would not list that Cherek.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Oct 2015 19:40

Added three areas that are currently being created as well.

As expected it seems like we have quite a few "mid-range" areas, but are lacking areas for small and very large players. Although hopefully Mirkwood and Ravenloft will help with providing things for the big players to do. Many of the areas listed under rising hero-titan and champion-legend are of course also reasonable hunting grounds for myths as well.

So... based on this it seems like we mainly need to offer more for players up to great adventurer, which of course becomes extra important now as these players make up a fairly big part of our playerbase.

Suggestions on areas that are currently unused, but could have good potential as grinding areas for these levels if tweaked a little?

I personally always liked Flotsam/Balifor when I was below champion (the old champion), but I guess that patrol keeps Flotsam from being a viable option anymore? Or is the XP completely useless these days regardless even if the patrol was removed?

I wonder if perhaps Khalakhor could be used. There's plenty of guards in the city and also wildlife in the forest, probably very poorly rewarding though? Anyone ever tried to grind there?

What other existing areas could have potential?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Oct 2015 19:41

Zestana wrote:
Cherek wrote:Ody: There's two kinds, small and big ones. Big ones in the same camp but down south. Adding the small ones to GA-expert.

I don't know anyone who goes there to grind. The portcullis closes when the front gate is attacked. Mages can enter by being invisible and fight from within but that's not a viable option for anyone outside that guild so I would not list that Cherek.
No I agree. Seems like something very few would/could do.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 20 Oct 2015 19:43

Cherek wrote:
Zestana wrote:

No I agree. Seems like something very few would/could do.
I think he was just salty that someone mentioned the Mages precious Haradrims as a viable xp ground so he tried to rebut with something. :twisted: ;)

Even without the patrol the area you mentioned in the post two above this is useless Cherek. As are the Trollshaws still which were supposedly given an xp boost a year or so ago. They still suck.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Oct 2015 20:13

Zestana: Yeah I figured they probably suck, but when I said areas with potential I meant that we have a bunch of NPCs nobody kills because they arent rewarding enough, so with some tweaks perhaps they could be again. Both Flotsam/Balifor and Khalakhor are large and generally well coded areas that are rarely used for anything but quests, and for Flotsam, some boss-NPCs.

Trollshaws also has a lot of potential, but as you say has not really been used since it was downgraded(?) probably a decade ago or more. Moria is another large area that could theoretically be a good grinding spot as well if the rewards were better.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 20 Oct 2015 21:24

It was supposedly upped according to Cotillion and a common board post about a year ago. Along with Kabal Guards and the halflings in Terel Silver forest. If the Shaws experience output was changed though it was minute. Which for the damage the trolls are able to deal out is kind of a shame.

Flotsam and Balifor aren't overly effective areas but I would hazard a bet that flotsam is still one of the most highly traveled areas in the game. Balifor lost most of its travelers when the Avenir/Balifor shipline was removed. But given Kernan, Shale, Centaurs, Kenders, and Emerald flotsam is still fairly well travelled.

Jooli
Adept

Post by Jooli » 20 Oct 2015 22:54

VK gates are decent when you're doing the plains aswell, lots of guards. Going inside VK is kind of pointless due to aforementioned reasons.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Oct 2015 23:24

Jooli wrote:VK gates are decent when you're doing the plains aswell, lots of guards. Going inside VK is kind of pointless due to aforementioned reasons.
I'll leave that as part of "war areas" in my list then.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 21 Oct 2015 00:14

Cherek wrote:Zestana: Yeah I figured they probably suck, but when I said areas with potential I meant that we have a bunch of NPCs nobody kills because they arent rewarding enough, so with some tweaks perhaps they could be again. Both Flotsam/Balifor and Khalakhor are large and generally well coded areas that are rarely used for anything but quests, and for Flotsam, some boss-NPCs.

Trollshaws also has a lot of potential, but as you say has not really been used since it was downgraded(?) probably a decade ago or more. Moria is another large area that could theoretically be a good grinding spot as well if the rewards were better.
Thing with Flotsam et al is that they would get protected by the BDA.. so added risk in grinding there :)

While I haven't looked at the code in a while, I do get the impression draconians in general could provide more xp than what they currently do considering their specials and death mechanics, and maybe have some more rewarding loot drops (steel coins that could be traded in in Palanthas maybe for gear/coins? Kind of like a faction shop for smaller toons?). If you boost the value of draconians, and perhaps introduce some draconian-slaying weapons easily accessable by smaller toons, then you'll find areas like Flotsam, Port Balifor, Silvanesti, Tantallon, the warfare areas open up for characters rising hero / ~adept level.

I'd help with the fix Cherek, but I have been out of the world of 'balance' for so long i'd hate to screw around with them :)

Other areas - there is a temple of Chemosh under Flotsam with lower level undead.
Cherek, you may be familiar with a minotaur camp just outside of Solace? *cough cough* It could probably do with a bit of reward buffing, and either a downgrade of the special attacks to make them viable for smaller toons, or a buffing of the xp.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/