Magic Map blanking out

General discussion about the Genesis Web Client located at https://www.genesismud.org/play/

Moderator: Eowul

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Ody
Hero

Re: Magic Map blanking out

Post by Ody » 07 Dec 2015 21:34

Cherek: Yup. Those. Go east from them and your map vanishes for the four rooms I mentioned.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 07 Dec 2015 23:52

Cherek wrote:
Arcon wrote:
Arman wrote:I checked out the new maps in Terel... beautiful Britanica, well done :)

On topic - sometimes the magic map has 'blanks' due to duplicate room file names, with one of the rooms ending up dropping off the map. I know there are a few locations like that outside of Sparkle, and are particularly prevalent in regions with 'docks', like Palanthas and Newports. As far as I know the way to fix that is to make a new room with a different file name and reconnect it to ajoining rooms... which is a bit of a pain.

So that may be the reason for the occasional gaps in the map Amastacia.
And then you have the bug outside newports that makes you jump several rooms in the map.
Arcon: Uhm? What? Where?

Arman: Where in Sparkle? Renaming duplicate filenames should be doable unless there's a lot of them or there's some complex room system. Renaming dock-files might mess up ships though I suppose, so that probably needs to be done with care.
Re:Sparkle - up near the giants it blanks out.

Like you said, changing dock file names could mess with the boat code... one (inefficient) way of fixing Newports and Palanthas docks is to have a seperate map file for each dock. Which would be really annoying :)

Regardless, happy for you to do a fix-up on any of these maps. I'll have a look at the random map jump on the road towards Pax when i have some spare time... although i won't cry if you beat me to it ;)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 08 Dec 2015 04:30

Arman: We'll see who beats who.:) But yeah, separate map files is probably the safest solution for all these issues. Especially for piers. On the other hand a blank map at the pier might not be the worst thing ever either if the maps works for the rest of the place. But when it suddenly blanks out in the middle of somewhere I understand can be annoying, or scary if you're new here so we should probably have a look at those first.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 08 Dec 2015 04:45

Ody wrote:Cherek: Yup. Those. Go east from them and your map vanishes for the four rooms I mentioned.
Okay. Fixed it. The reason they vanished is because they were not mapped at all(!), so I mapped them. Most likely whoever created the map simply forgot those rooms, and they've probably been like that from the start.

So, one fixed for me. Cherek - Arman 1-0!:)

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 08 Dec 2015 23:54

Cherek wrote:Arman: We'll see who beats who.:) But yeah, separate map files is probably the safest solution for all these issues. Especially for piers. On the other hand a blank map at the pier might not be the worst thing ever either if the maps works for the rest of the place. But when it suddenly blanks out in the middle of somewhere I understand can be annoying, or scary if you're new here so we should probably have a look at those first.
It is a personal pet hate of mine re: areas that blank out on the magic map. It breaks immersion. Boats are my particular pet peeve... you'll notice i've added basic maps for most boats in Krynn/Ansalon.

So yeah, i'll have a look at some of those maps when i get a chance... as annoying as it is to create a whole map file for one room :)

britanica
Wizard

Post by britanica » 12 Dec 2015 06:33

So it all started when I found this green meteorite. I read in Faradays book of the comets that smaller ones were supposed to burn up in the atmosphere, anyways I put it on the shelve in my workroom and forgot about it.

Most of the flashing rooms should be fixed in an hour after Armageddon. I have written up some instructions for updating maps that will hopefully stop this issue from occurring in the future when adding new maps.

There are a set of rooms that will still exhibit this behavior after Armageddon. I have not been able to add link_room's to the map and it goes dark when entering any of these room. The two areas that will have this issue in Terel are the Castle Walls of Ribos and the LoD tunnels. I have proposed a solution that should work, and would like to ask if anybody else has encountered or worked around this issue?

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 23 Jan 2016 18:18

The map moves you to the wrong room in the northen part of the silent forest in Calia

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/