Poll about a suggested anti-botting system

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Do you think the anti-bot system explained below is a good idea?

Yes!
69%
No!
16%
Maybe.
16%

Total votes: 51

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Poll about a suggested anti-botting system

Post by Cherek » 11 Dec 2015 18:29

Alisa: Yeah, good point. It would probably be a good idea to show the team leader when a team member has answered, I agree. *nudge Nerull*

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 11 Dec 2015 18:36

I am primarily thinking of the check inside combat zones.

If its a stop on the way, i would think of it as fatigue or such, not sure how others see it though.

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 11 Dec 2015 22:56

Cherek wrote:Alisa: Yeah, good point. It would probably be a good idea to show the team leader when a team member has answered, I agree. *nudge Nerull*
Actually, you do see it. It's just not as obvious. :)

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 12 Dec 2015 00:41

I dont mind doing a puzzle before entering a certain zone for a hunt, not at all, but the question that i have is is it worth all the trouble and the work....

We are with few who really care for the realms. I have not seen many people botting here at all. Most of the time when you hunt with elder, they wont let cheaters join. I have had it one time when i played with a good friend of mine, and we did some hunting in faerun, he went afk for a longer time then he should have. But it happens, kids , job, he had no evil plans or what so ever. I just killed the last one and went to sybarun, so not so much xp for my friend at all. A very polite wizard visited us soon and gave him a warning.But how many times does this happen....

Most people/kids who are raised in nowadays culture where everything needs to happen fast wont survive the turtorial. Most of us are 30+ and see no pride in playing the game like that.

I personally would love it if the wizards would use their time to develop more quests.

No criticism at all, do install the puzzle for all i care, but i really think you could use your energy for other things in the game. But maybe im naive and we have a lot of cheaters amongst us....
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 12 Dec 2015 09:39

I think Goldbezie makes a very valid point.

While I am not a big fan of botters (essentially a NPC that runs around stealing kills, time, loot, xp (insert random term for valuable good/asset in Genesis) and its better than me at doing it on top of it!!).

Is all this negativity, vengeance, vehemence and wizard hours really that well spent? For me it seems more like a dead-end. Creating nuisances/extra effort in a game with an insane learning curve as it is for everyone (in particularly newbies who while liking a challenge.. well this?) to punish/get payback/prevent a few rotten eggs who will just move on to whatever other method to keep doing what they do.

I wonder if the end result (slight chance of botters either stop playing or move on to more advanced botting leaving all this hazzle moot while at the same time discouraging/making the game more of a hassle for newbies) creates more overall value than the time we could have spent on constructive playing and coding?

If we had spent as much time all of us either coding or playing than we have on this screaming and shouting - in order to implement something that seems dubious to work ... I think we have had a greater chance of getting new players to join and stay than if they read these notes and see what it is we are considering improving the game with.
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 12 Dec 2015 14:52

The problem are when botters grow insanely huge.
And they do.
Then when they actually play they abuse that size to force their way through.
They have not earned that right by botting.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 12 Dec 2015 15:15

Hektor / Goldbezie: If it's our time you worry about, then setting up and automated system once takes a lot less time than forever manually checking people who bot, investigating / replying to bot complaints, or making judgement in cases where botting or suspicion of botting is the cause of the drama in the first place. That takes a lot of time and causes a lot of irritation and anger. The only alternative to wizards not spending time on botting at all, is to simply remove the rule about botting. Which might be what you were suggesting? Having a rule and not spend any time at all enforcing it means we might as well remove it I think. Which _is_ a possibility.

As for making the game harder for newbies... well no. These things would probably only be setup in places where newbies go, these would only be around to make some currently very bot-rewarding areas for big players be less rewarding to bot. If anything, they would probably serve as a way to keep wandering lost newbies a little safer. It will take many years for most newbies to even be able to grind in these areas, unless they bot themselves... leading to another issue with botting that is easy to forget. While botting may currently not be a HUGE issue that a lot of players do, by allowing it, aren't we showing those same newbies that the best way to grow large in Genesis is by botting? I've already heard about newbies being told by older players how to set up combat and herb scripts (which is fine), but when they learn how good that is for growing, the step to botting is not far, especially if our policy is that we really don't mind, and there's nothing in the game preventing it. So while botting may not be a huge issue now, with our increasing player numbers, do we really dare let it free?

Because I take it you are suggesting let it free? Because if the choice is either manually spending time hunting and punishing bots, or having code preventing it in the first place, I would select the second option every time.

Etanukar
Adept

Post by Etanukar » 23 Dec 2015 16:25

You guys are missing the most simple answer to the problem. If someone bots over you, kill them. If they are in a big team, separate the team and kill them one by one. Problem solved. If you are unable to kill them, interrupt their bot with block, and petition Nerull and Cherek to bring back the usefulness of things that inhibit movement, like caltrops! Wouldn't that be grand? Most of you who are affected by botters are also familiar with the nuances of the areas in question - there are ways to interrupt scripts.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 24 Dec 2015 04:01

Etanukar wrote:You guys are missing the most simple answer to the problem. If someone bots over you, kill them. If they are in a big team, separate the team and kill them one by one. Problem solved. If you are unable to kill them, interrupt their bot with block, and petition Nerull and Cherek to bring back the usefulness of things that inhibit movement, like caltrops! Wouldn't that be grand? Most of you who are affected by botters are also familiar with the nuances of the areas in question - there are ways to interrupt scripts.
Not all of us are imbued with god-like burst power damage. Having an active/semi-active leader pretty much negates the possibility of using what you suggested effectively.

Azuri
Beginner

Post by Azuri » 24 Dec 2015 08:20

I voted no as this discourages new players

I think better way around bots is to remove the JavaScript coding in aliases, and remove triggers
Give tools to ppl to bot with and they will bot.

And actively do a 3 strike rule.

1) warning

2) temp ban

3) perma ban

What you can also do is, set up bounty hunter mobs, that appear randomly and do a Simon says game interaction for the bounty hunter to not kill you. Like random emote if he says Simon says. Something botters can't code easy.

Botting happens in any mmo/ mud and so far there is no real solution ppl buy botting programs or write their own, and tweek it every update to what devs do.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/