Laurel on definition of harassment

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Laurel

Re: Laurel on definition of harassment

Post by Laurel » 02 Jan 2016 20:06

Syrk wrote:Playing a victim is also a form of harassment.
Nope - it's just https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive-a ... e_behavior. Look up the "Causes" section. Related: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycholog ... nipulation - look up "Projecting the blame (blaming others):".

This thread derailed quite far at this moment, but it's amusing to a significant degree. Please continue. Also please note: I have not taken anyone's side here. Syrk's quote is applicable in general and that's how I comment it.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 02 Jan 2016 21:21

Mystina wrote: I'm asking a legitimate question.
A scenario of a case of harassment:

A new troll appears in a game's forum spamming it as
trolls usually do. Can not help herself, she is a troll.
Some players are annoyed and finally a brave one steps
up and asks the troll to slow down.

And that is what the troll needed and was waiting for.
Fuel for more trolling.
With a help of an admin, who falls for that little-silly-
newbie-girile play, they start harrasing the player.

Admin sets a thread in flames section as to mark the player
as a flamer and hater, quite opposite to a serious
and concerned person. Also threathens with banning.

The troll keeps doing what she loves: posting multiple notes
which contains many words but bring no new idea or solution
to problems. The troll is a pure innocence being opressed
by a big bad bully.

The problem is that the troll will always have the last word
as posting loads is what she thrives for. She will bury anyone
with posts. And support of the admin makes it even worse.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 03 Jan 2016 00:43

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have all the rules posted on the page, not just harassment but all the basic rules. A lot of people don't know this is a game where you can get attacked from another player at any given moment.
I even remember when glads used to attack other glads inside the guild hall because they were idle.

If new people knows about the rules before starting to play it might take away some work from AoP.

Now about harassment, yes, there is and have been sexual harassment in Genesis. I know of one old player that stopped because of it and I also know that it happens without people don't thinking of it. We have some emotes that should be monitored when and if used, we can grope, french, kiss, pinch etc etc others (not talking about the jard sausage in Sybarus). You do it to someone and that person asks you not to and you do it again then that is sexual harassment.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 03 Jan 2016 01:52

Arcon wrote:Now about harassment, yes, there is and have been sexual harassment in Genesis.

It happens. Far to often. I've watched it happen it's never okay and it's always sickening.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 03 Jan 2016 02:15

Mystina wrote:I'm not reporting any of your posts. How can that be any more clear, I don't get what your issue is with me but please stop.
What posts? If you mean this thread, then you should be aware that an admin is monitoring it.
If there are any other posts of mine, please specify them, as i am not aware of any.
Or am i harrasing you now by responding to your posts on the forum? Am i posting too much???

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 03 Jan 2016 02:24

Considering what you wrote in the flames thread i think we can stop now.
Sorry if it was traumatic for you. It was not pleasant for me.
You may feel you were not treated fairly but so do i.

Mystina

Post by Mystina » 03 Jan 2016 03:22

Syrk wrote:Considering what you wrote in the flames thread i think we can stop now.
Sorry if it was traumatic for you. It was not pleasant for me.
You may feel you were not treated fairly but so do i.
In what way??

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 Jan 2016 03:39

Arcon: There has really been very few complaints from any new players to the AoP about anything, especially not things regarding PVP, rules or harassment. Questions about how to play the game, yes. Lots. Complaints, very little. Mostly complaints and "drama", especially PVP issues, involves old players, who are very well aware of our rules. But like I said to, having the rules on the website is perfectly fine with me and I would not mind it all either. Anything that makes things clear. If we had a webmaster I am sure he/she would agree.:)

Arcon/Ody: Hold on. You're both saying sexual harassment is quite common in Genesis? There has not been one single reported case of this since I became AoP. Meaning either the person suffering the harassment did not feel it was harassment, or they did not report it, or did not know how to report it. I am surprised you two both have witnessed it, Ody several times, without ever mentioning it before tho? If it's that bad Ody, why did you not report it?

When it comes to monitoring and logging things... I am not sure how you mean that would work? Even if I log the "pinch" command, how would I know if whoever using it is harassing someone with it? It would need some context, meaning we would need to log everything players say and do as well. So we can dig through massive logs to find the one who used pinch and see if using it was part of some sort of harassment or not? We dont really have the manpower for something like that currently I think. And I am not so sure I would like a game where everything you do and say is monitored anyway... I personally don't like the idea, I don't know how the majority of our players feel though?

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 03 Jan 2016 11:06

Most cases of sexual harassment don't ever get reported and I don't know how much it happens in Genesis. I don't think, or at least I hope it don't happens a lot.

I know it is impossible to log everything and I didn't consider it even as a possibility.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 03 Jan 2016 14:16

Sexual harrasment as to that its in the RP? Or as in that its from the char directed to the RL person?
Cause rangers watching people bathe from the bushes is quite common and very wrong

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/