Laurel on definition of harassment

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mystina

Re: Laurel on definition of harassment

Post by Mystina » 03 Jan 2016 14:35

Draugor wrote:Sexual harrasment as to that its in the RP? Or as in that its from the char directed to the RL person?
Cause rangers watching people bathe from the bushes is quite common and very wrong
It could/should be either or.

Think if its rp harassment, the person should ne rp reported to some guards and rp jailed for it.

If its directed to real life it should be report to the aop and dealt with accordingly.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 03 Jan 2016 18:47

how can you be sexually harassed in Genesis? :D

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 03 Jan 2016 20:42

Cherek wrote:Arcon/Ody: Hold on. You're both saying sexual harassment is quite common in Genesis? There has not been one single reported case of this since I became AoP. Meaning either the person suffering the harassment did not feel it was harassment, or they did not report it, or did not know how to report it. I am surprised you two both have witnessed it, Ody several times, without ever mentioning it before tho? If it's that bad Ody, why did you not report it?
What is it you could do to stop/prevent it? Consider this: A new player is harassed by a much older player. The older player uses rude and vulgar emotes, stalks the newer player, and constantly makes sexual references in regards to this younger player. The younger player repeatedly asks the old player to stop yet it continues. The older player tricks the younger player into thinking that the older player has changed, drags the younger player to a spot where they cannot get away from and attempts to get the younger player to do sexual role playing with them. When the younger player keeps refusing the older player then threatens the younger player that if the younger player tells anyone that the older player will make things difficult on the younger player, (repeatedly attacking and killing the younger player and the younger players friends, and other forms of harassment).

Now..what could you do in a situation like this? Nothing, because the younger player is now so very afraid of the older one that they are afraid to speak out. The situation I just described really happened and is continuing to happen. Nothing can be done because the younger player is afraid to speak out in fear that they will not be listened to/believed. Things don't get reported out of fear and hopelessness.

Mystina

Post by Mystina » 03 Jan 2016 22:17

Ody wrote:
Cherek wrote:Arcon/Ody: Hold on. You're both saying sexual harassment is quite common in Genesis? There has not been one single reported case of this since I became AoP. Meaning either the person suffering the harassment did not feel it was harassment, or they did not report it, or did not know how to report it. I am surprised you two both have witnessed it, Ody several times, without ever mentioning it before tho? If it's that bad Ody, why did you not report it?
What is it you could do to stop/prevent it? Consider this: A new player is harassed by a much older player. The older player uses rude and vulgar emotes, stalks the newer player, and constantly makes sexual references in regards to this younger player. The younger player repeatedly asks the old player to stop yet it continues. The older player tricks the younger player into thinking that the older player has changed, drags the younger player to a spot where they cannot get away from and attempts to get the younger player to do sexual role playing with them. When the younger player keeps refusing the older player then threatens the younger player that if the younger player tells anyone that the older player will make things difficult on the younger player, (repeatedly attacking and killing the younger player and the younger players friends, and other forms of harassment).

Now..what could you do in a situation like this? Nothing, because the younger player is now so very afraid of the older one that they are afraid to speak out. The situation I just described really happened and is continuing to happen. Nothing can be done because the younger player is afraid to speak out in fear that they will not be listened to/believed. Things don't get reported out of fear and hopelessness.
This

Been the receiving end of this stuff before, and other stuff you get told is grown a ticker skin
Had one case where I got called a homewreaker even though the guy was bugging me.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 03 Jan 2016 23:17

Ody wrote:

I've been around for "quite some time" and I've never seen anything or heard about anything like this. Pics or lies.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 04 Jan 2016 01:06

I think I remember H***s being suspended for harrassing a female ranger, but that was ages ago.

Mystina

Post by Mystina » 04 Jan 2016 02:51

Manglor wrote:
Ody wrote:

I've been around for "quite some time" and I've never seen anything or heard about anything like this. Pics or lies.
And this is the mentality I hate most of all, just because you don't see it, doesn't me it doesn't happen.

I'm sry but we shouldn't advocate this type of mentality, just makes it harder for the person getting harassed to report it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 04 Jan 2016 06:19

Ody's story obviously sounds awful, I can't do anything else but agree on that, and if proven true it's obviously not something that we tolerate in Genesis.

Manglor: As a player I feel like you, I have never personally heard about or witnessed anything near what Ody is describing. Actually during my 18 years as a player here I have never really witnessed any type of harassment. On the other hand, I have never witnessed someone being killed, robbed or assaulted in real life either yet I am pretty sure it happens daily. And I don't need a "pic" of each case to believe it.

Genesis has existed for over 25 years, obviously we've had our fair share of issues too. I do not think it's common, and despite our constant squabbling and different levels of cheating I still want to believe any type of real and serious harassment is quite uncommon in Genesis. But it HAS happened before, we've had our share of more serious issues of various kinds. And those are the ones that are known of course. Obviously a lot goes on the never reaches any Admin or AoP. I am sometimes quite naive, and I like being naive since it makes the world look a bit better, but I am not so naive to think we're completely spared of issues that plague both society as a whole and other online communities.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 04 Jan 2016 12:07

If that kind of thing is really happening... the person who its happening to should 100% feel comfortable coming to the admin to report it.

I had a situation where a player who is a friend of mine made a comment to me on the forum .. and that admin thought it was inappropriate and harassment without me reporting anything. Personally -- I had no issue with it. But admin basically told the player to knock it off and gave them a warning. While I personally did not have an issue with it ... as we were friends and I knew it was in jest... and I told admin as such. I do realize that when it comes to any kind of sexual harassment - especially in a public arena -- that you can't allow that or people will think its ok. And chances are ... if it hadn't been a friend who had said it to me .. I would have been offended.

I find it offensive that any older player would treat a younger player that way -- even under the guise of roleplay. So if someone is really being harassed, especially in the way you are describing Ody -- the person should not feel like the admin won't listen. On the contrary -- I think they will take it very seriously.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/