newbie intro and questiions

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aerylina-leafschade

newbie intro and questiions

Post by Aerylina-leafschade » 09 Feb 2016 17:48

Hello, I'm Aerylina Leafschade I'm new here, have questions.

1) is role play encouraged or enforced?

2) are the races you pick from at the start the only ones in game or are there others?

3) Since I'm new should I do the tutorial?

4) how is leveling done? Grind? Quest to level?

For role play where does one, if ever, put a background of your character and how, if ever, does one change their character described beyond what we put in the character creator?

For myself, I plan on being a forest elf type character. Preferable rogue type that duel wields either daggers or swords. If this is viable, inspiration comes from the Dalish elves from dragon age.

Is this viable in this game??

Any tips are welcome, this is my first MUD I saw it on my tablet and figured I give it a shot. I looked up the site and surprised how old this mud is.

Final question is, is there any type of mentor system where you can get help from veteran?

Titan

Re: newbie intro and questiions

Post by Avatar » 09 Feb 2016 17:54

Aerylina-leafschade wrote:Hello, I'm Aerylina Leafschade I'm new here, have questions.

2) are the races you pick from at the start the only ones in game or are there others?

For role play where does one, if ever, put a background of your character and how, if ever, does one change their character described beyond what we put in the character creator?

For myself, I plan on being a forest elf type character. Preferable rogue type that duel wields either daggers or swords. If this is viable, inspiration comes from the Dalish elves from dragon age.

Any tips are welcome, this is my first MUD I saw it on my tablet and figured I give it a shot. I looked up the site and surprised how old this mud is.

Final question is, is there any type of mentor system where you can get help from veteran?

First off, welcome to Genesis :)

1. RP is encouraged. I, myself play for the RP, and have done so for the last 25 years. I love it.

2. The races you can choose from at the beginning are the ones available. So to speak. Once you enter the game, there are a few guilds and clubs that lets you change race into drow, minotaur, orcs, half-elves. You keep the stats from your base race though.

3. YES. Do the tutorial, as it lets you earn some good quest XP, which you can only earn there. You will earn coin to train skills with as well, giving you a better start, once you enter the full game.

4. Levelling is done both by killing and questing. Killing will raise your brutality, which in turn lowers the combat XP you earn. In order to lower the brutality, you have to quest. So in order to level most efficiently, you have to combine it. Personally I have to quest, so I have a high brute and thus level slower than I would, if I cared to balance it.

My characters in the game are not exactly compatible with the one you envision, but I would be willing to help out anyway. I play a female drow named Deirae and a male human named Avatar.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 09 Feb 2016 17:58

Aerylina-leafschade wrote:Hello, I'm Aerylina Leafschade I'm new here, have questions.

We have the newbieline, you can usually meet older players there and ask for help

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 09 Feb 2016 17:59

1. Roleplaying is encouraged not enforced in Genesis.

2. You can find subraces but those you pick from in the tutorial are your base race. Which means you'll retain your original race's stats.

3. You should do the tutorial. You'll come out of it on the verge of beginner which is way better than novice. <levels mortal> in game to see the list.

4. Leveling up is a combination of both grinding and questing. There's a balance. You grind to get your brutality up. <levels brutality> then you quest to make it go back down. As your brutality rises you gain combat xp slower so you need to find a balance.

5. Character customization is done in game. There are places to get tattoos and piercings and change your eye colour and hair colour. And a few other things you can do.

6.. That is most certainly a viable option. Though from what you describe your best bet might be the Free Mercenary guild. That would allow you to use daggers and swords interchangeably.

7. Nope, no mentor system. But feel free to mail Ody in game or send me a message on the forums with any questions. I'd be happy to answer all of them to the best of my abilities.

Aerylina-leafschade

Post by Aerylina-leafschade » 09 Feb 2016 18:17

Ok, so I'm free to be a hard core roleplayer?

Pretty much once I log in I'm in character, my plan is to make my elf forest born type, I'll be neutral leaning on good. As best to describe it. As I'll do good deeds, but not pious enough to not cut a few purses if need be. Mostly I'll hunt for my income. I won't cast judgment on evil characters, but I won't deal with them in form of help or provide them coin.

Which leads my to more questions, what sort of crafting does this game have?? Any cooking? Cloths making? Weapon smithing? Armor smithing?

Any gathering like fishing, logging, mining?

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 09 Feb 2016 18:21

Aerylina-leafschade wrote:Ok, so I'm free to be a hard core roleplayer?

Pretty much once I log in I'm in character, my plan is to make my elf forest born type, I'll be neutral leaning on good. As best to describe it. As I'll do good deeds, but not pious enough to not cut a few purses if need be. Mostly I'll hunt for my income. I won't cast judgment on evil characters, but I won't deal with them in form of help or provide them coin.

Which leads my to more questions, what sort of crafting does this game have?? Any cooking? Cloths making? Weapon smithing? Armor smithing?

Any gathering like fishing, logging, mining?
Yup, you're free to do that if you wish.

As for crafting. There's the Smiths guild you can join when you're an adventurer. You can make your own weapons and armours there.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 09 Feb 2016 18:32

Aerylina-leafschade wrote:For myself, I plan on being a forest elf type character. Preferable rogue type that duel wields either daggers or swords. If this is viable, inspiration comes from the Dalish elves from dragon age.

Everything is viable to be honest. The question will only be - will you suffer from it being a sub-optimal setup in terms of it's damage output? If you are not into min-maxing combat aid - it's a funny combo you can play there.

Mentoring is not hard-coded, but you can always just ask questions here, in newbie-line or via messengers/mail in game people who can offer it - like Avatar. Facebook contacts also improve the learning process a lot.

Crafting: blacksmiths.
Gathering: herbalists.

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 09 Feb 2016 20:39

Yes, here is good help in my singature. Please welcome!
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

Aerylina-leafschade

Post by Aerylina-leafschade » 10 Feb 2016 01:08

Thanks for the tips

And I read the help link, my question is when should I go to certain places?? Like krynn and stuff.

Any tips help. I don't want to explore to find I'm to low in strength to survive and die.

Like after the tutorial where should I go?

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 10 Feb 2016 01:38

Is informatoin in "What to Do Next" section of link helpfull to you?
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/