Taking a step back

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Titan

Taking a step back

Post by Avatar » 17 Feb 2016 20:26

These last few weeks, especially the last couple of days, have been shameful and undignified, as far as myself goes.

The last few months I have been contemplating leaving the forums behind, as the tone around here have gotten gradually worse. People treat each other with such lack of respect, hatred, loathing and whatnot, and it have been making me quite sad.

When I ran The Underdark forums, the place was a popular place for players to come and discuss matters concerning Genesis and matters NOT concerning Genesis. Sure, people disagree. A lot. Arguments could turn ugly, but I kept it under control, as I moderated the place in a way that allowed people to express themselves, but in a way that kept things generally civil.

These forums have been deteriorating rapidly lately, and something should be done about it, as this place represents Genesis to newcomers that come here looking around. It SHOULD represent a place where new players and old players should be able to come, to discuss game, and non-game matters, without having to suffer abuse because people cannot agree with each other. Most of us, new playerts might not be, are grown ups, and should behave as such.

We should be able to discuss and argue, and still keep things civil and respectful. Yet, the place is a cesspool of hate, profanity, lack of tolerance and respect for other people.

I would like to apologize for my behaviour, these last few days, that did nothing but add to this cesspool. I let my emotions get the better of me. For that I do apologize. I know I am better than that. As are the rest of you.

I really think the flame section should be removed from these forums, as it adds nothing to the place. People should be able to agree to disagree in discussions here, without having to resort to the behaviour I displayed recently.

This forum should be a place of mutual respect. A place where we, people that play a game we love, should be able to come and discuss various things, without having to suffer abuse. We really are better than that.

Anyway, I am ranting. I merely wished to apologize for my recent behaviour and to urge the rest of you to help stop this downward spiral of infantile behaviour, so that this place could be a place where we can come and have discussions/arguments with other people, in a respectful manner.

I would offer myself as moderator, as this place really needs more active moderation, but that might be a tad to much, considering my recent behaviour.

Nuff said.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Chanele
Champion

Re: Taking a step back

Post by Chanele » 17 Feb 2016 20:53

Well said, could not agree more!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 17 Feb 2016 21:18

Very nice, Avatar, and thank you.

It is very easy to be cynical and throw negative energy around. It has a quick and immediate feeling of satisfaction and power. True hope, the real kind, is extremely slow, patient, and difficult to maintain. Optimism is often seen as naive and dopey compared to its swift and acid-tongued counterpart, pessimism, which always rules the mob and derails otherwise promising efforts.

Let's do what we can do strive for our better selves and be the change we want to see in others.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 17 Feb 2016 23:56

I find it only unacceptable when it is outside the flame section.

We all pretend to follow these 'humane' avenues, but in reality the best back stabbers are the most polite ones.

But if the conversation isnt polite it can detract from the importance of the conversation itself.

And there is always the random drunk which sets someone off on a tangent. Not good but understandable.

It is words in the end. I see nothing wrong with your recent behavior .... but perhaps you could RP Avatar more like this reprehensible person you see in yourself and stay in forums as your normal happy go lucky self :) And avoid the flames if you dont like them.

Personally I dont want to see them gone. I love them.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Feb 2016 01:32

Good post Avatar. Definitely some things to consider, and thank you for volunteering. I am not against having more moderators to help with moderating, if that's the path we want. I guess it's one of those things that might split the community. Some wants 100% freedom, some want a more moderated forum. I guess we've always been somewhere in the middle trying to make everyone happy, like we always do.:) But not always manage. (since it's impossible).

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 18 Feb 2016 04:07

Kudos Avatar, nice post. And agree...lets get rid of the flame section. It serves no good purpose on the official forums.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 19 Feb 2016 12:15

Peekaboo

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 19 Feb 2016 12:35

Ydred wrote:I find it only unacceptable when it is outside the flame section.

We all pretend to follow these 'humane' avenues, but in reality the best back stabbers are the most polite ones.

But if the conversation isnt polite it can detract from the importance of the conversation itself.

And there is always the random drunk which sets someone off on a tangent. Not good but understandable.

It is words in the end. I see nothing wrong with your recent behavior .... but perhaps you could RP Avatar more like this reprehensible person you see in yourself and stay in forums as your normal happy go lucky self :) And avoid the flames if you dont like them.

Personally I dont want to see them gone. I love them.

I agree.
When you post on the flame section, prepare to be flamed without any mercy.
Thats what the flame section is for.
It's not a carebear cuddly warm fuzzy section.
You go to the extremes to go to the extremes, not necessarily because you mean it.

Other than that people should keep it civil and argue the case, not the people behind(Something I myself don't always succeed in unfortunantly, but I do try).
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 19 Feb 2016 12:36

Arman wrote:Kudos Avatar, nice post. And agree...lets get rid of the flame section. It serves no good purpose on the official forums.

I disagree.
It's a place for people to vent a bit.
People here are adults and should be able to handle it without it having any effect on them.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 19 Feb 2016 12:56

I wonder how real life would look like if we had a flame section where anything goes. Like a park in a city is the "flame park" and if you enter you can insult whoever in there however you want and no normal rules of society applies. That would be a pretty interesting experiment.:)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/